Re: Cache approval/disapproval and Geocaching.com's existence

  • angryarmadillo <angryarmadillo@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wendling
      <web-ling@f...>" <web-ling@f...> wrote:

      > 4. You can always post it on Navicache.com

      This is where all my new caches are going and the only place they are
      going. They are _my_ caches, not geocaching.com's. They might get less
      visitors but who cares. If I want to place a cache on my front lawn,
      that's my business. No one makes anybody go to any cache. I think
      adding a voting system to a caching website would be a great thing.
      That way you'd get an idea of whether it's worth your while to check
      it out. I've already started on my own geocaching website that I might
      try to expand into a Texas-wide geocaching site. Jeremy and friends
      aren't going to listen to people's concerns until they are forced to
      by competition. Hit them where it hurts, their pocketbook. Take your
      toys elsewhere. Navicache has already stated they will participate in
      an open source type geocaching database. I think I'll play with them
      because they seem to want to play with me.

      See you on the trails,
      Tony of Team Bohica
    • David Gahagan
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
        Go Tony... Maybe a rating system at the cache level would be a nice
        feature. What I'm thinking is something where those that are logging a find
        can rate the cache on a scale from 1 to 5 or something. Much like the
        freeware sites allow ratings or epinions.com allows ratings.

        Also someone mentioned Buxley's, how is their site?

        Thanks
        FireCacher

        > > 4. You can always post it on Navicache.com
        > >
        > This is where all my new caches are going and the only place they are
        > going. They are _my_ caches, not geocaching.com's. They might get less
        > visitors but who cares. If I want to place a cache on my front lawn,
        > that's my business. No one makes anybody go to any cache. I think
        > adding a voting system to a caching website would be a great thing.
        > That way you'd get an idea of whether it's worth your while to check
        > it out. I've already started on my own geocaching website that I might
        > try to expand into a Texas-wide geocaching site. Jeremy and friends
        > aren't going to listen to people's concerns until they are forced to
        > by competition. Hit them where it hurts, their pocketbook. Take your
        > toys elsewhere. Navicache has already stated they will participate in
        > an open source type geocaching database. I think I'll play with them
        > because they seem to want to play with me.
        >
        > See you on the trails,
        > Tony of Team Bohica

      • David Gahagan
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
          Rich, thanks for your support. These are the exact issues I am talking
          about and have mentioned in the post in the thread, and that you have
          mentioned more than once.

          In addition, I find it troubling that there seems to be no interest in
          creating caches that are handicapped accessible.

          It also interesting that Jeremy has had nothing to say.

          I'm done with geocaching.com for now. I had several other (what I thought)
          were great cache locations in my area (east of Austin), but I see no reason
          to put forth any effort to get them hidden. And yes they were mostly
          virtuals to add to my Chainsaw Massacre series. The childish remarks like
          "why don't you go find more caches then come back and make your comments
          since you've only found 6", and the like have completely turned me off.
          This sport is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. Arguing with the admins
          about approvals is not worth my time. If they want the sport to flourish,
          they better figure out who the customer is and start providing a service. I
          don't pay my hard earned money to receive form letters and BS reasons for
          non-approval. I get that everyday at the office.

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "angryarmadillo
            <angryarmadillo@y...>" <angryarmadillo@y...> wrote:
            > I think
            > adding a voting system to a caching website would be a great thing.
            > That way you'd get an idea of whether it's worth your while to check
            > it out. I've already started on my own geocaching website that I
            might
            > try to expand into a Texas-wide geocaching site.

            AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of Austin. It
            includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
            difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven website
            that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes the
            ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.

            What it is missing is a larger number of users. I can speak from
            experience that the market maker (i.e. geocaching.com) enjoys an
            enormous mindshare. People tend to not want to go to another site to
            log finds. An "open source" system would resolve much of that issue,
            but I'm not very confident that will work out.

            Check out http://www.austinexplorer.com/geocaching/. I'm always
            interested in ideas for improvements. Right now you can log finds,
            rate the caches, look at cache stats for the area AND map your caches
            with finds highlighted on maps that can zoom down to sub-city level
            (something that Buxley's can not do).

            Robert
            a.k.a. Austin Explorer
          • The Diver
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
              While your here, What does this mean?

              >From Map Caches:

              Click on an icon for more information or a region for a closer view.

              ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bcd'

              Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted.
              Requested operation requires a current record.

              /Maps/ShowMap.asp, line 355

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
                Oh, I forgot to mention that Austin Explorer also has an auto-confirm
                capability for virtuals. Any cache owner can set up the system to
                get the answer from a finder and email the owner. The email
                indicates the correct answer AND includes the geocaching.com user
                name so that the owner can both confirm the answer AND WHO answered
                the question. Other auto-confirm systems I've seen did not ask for
                the user name, so the owner has no way of knowing that a given
                geocaching.com log corresponds with a correct answer.

                For my virtuals it's fairly easy to match up emails (one from
                AustinExplorer.com and one from geocaching.com) and thus know that a
                geocaching.com log is valid.

                If you have a virtual in the Austin area and want the virtual to be
                auto-confirmed, let me know. I'll set it up.

                Robert

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert <robert@a...>"

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
                  Ack! What URL were you at and what were you clicking on?

                  Robert

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, The Diver

                • The Diver
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
                    http://www.austinexplorer.com/geocaching/

                    Clicked on the big picture that said "Map Caches".

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
                      Hmmm... I just tried that and did not receive an error. Has anyone
                      else tried it?

                      At the very least I can work on the page to capture the error and
                      retry, but right now I'm not seeing it.

                    • Rich Wendling <web-ling@flash.net>
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
                        > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of Austin.
                        It
                        > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
                        > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven website
                        > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes
                        the
                        > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.

                        Would you have the capability of allowing cachers to CREATE and LIST
                        caches on AustinExplorer.com instead of on Geocaching.com? What
                        would be great is a world-wide website with links to caches on
                        geocaching.com, navicache.com, and others (like Buxley's) PLUS the
                        ability to create cache listings directly on the site (unlike
                        Buxley's).

                        I'd like the idea of expanding state-wide! Please feel free to list
                        all of my North Texas caches!

                        Rich Wendling
                        aka Web-ling
                      • angryarmadillo <angryarmadillo@yahoo.com>
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 1, 2003
                          <web-ling@f...>" <web-ling@f...> wrote:

                          > > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of Austin.
                          > It
                          > > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
                          > > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven website
                          > > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes
                          > the
                          > > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.
                          >
                          > Would you have the capability of allowing cachers to CREATE and LIST
                          > caches on AustinExplorer.com instead of on Geocaching.com?
                          >
                          > I'd like the idea of expanding state-wide! Please feel free to list
                          > all of my North Texas caches!

                          I think that'd be great too. I think you're puling data from Navicache
                          but I'm not sure. If I could create cache listings at
                          austinexplorer.com I'd do it. I'd rather not duplicate efforts. If
                          someone has already got most of the infrastructure in place I'd be
                          happy to volunteer to help out.

                          Tony from Team Bohica
                        • Ken Mikolaj
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                            I agree. We are past the point where more of the
                            simple ammo-box-in-the-woods are needed. There are
                            more than enough of those.

                            We need to move towards more challanging multi-cahces
                            and interesting virtual caches.

                            --- "Rich Wendling <web-ling@...>"

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                              Um...why is this "troubling"?

                              --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:

                              > In addition, I find it troubling that there seems to
                              > be no interest in
                              > creating caches that are handicapped accessible.

                              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                            • David Gahagan
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                                Not that I don't agree, but keep in mind that those new to the sport will be
                                wanting to hide just such a cache. Getting them involved and keeping them
                                interested is the only way this sport will survive. Telling them their
                                cache location/choice sucks will only run them off and kill our sport. The
                                old timers need to take the new comers out and help them learn the sport.

                                > I agree. We are past the point where more of the
                                > simple ammo-box-in-the-woods are needed. There are
                                > more than enough of those.
                                >
                                > We need to move towards more challanging multi-cahces
                                > and interesting virtual caches.
                                >

                                > --- "Rich Wendling <web-ling@...>"
                                > <web-ling@...> wrote:
                                > > There's a delicate balance between the demands of
                                > > the geocaching
                                > > community to reduce the number of "lame caches" and
                                > > the need to make
                                > > cache approval as simple as possible and allowing
                                > > "creative" caches.

                              • David Gahagan
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                                  Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get involved in our sport, but
                                  can't because there are very few wheel chair accessible caches.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                                    Well, duh. I think I know that.

                                    I asked why it was "troubling".

                                    If you are in a wheel chair, it's a fact of life that
                                    you are limited in some things you can & can't do.
                                    If someone wants to set up chair-friendly caches, then
                                    fine. But, "troubling"? I won't be losing any sleep
                                    over it.

                                    --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:
                                    > Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get
                                    > involved in our sport, but
                                    > can't because there are very few wheel chair
                                    > accessible caches.

                                  • Diann Black
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003

                                      I have to say as a cacher I think that is very insensitive of you to say that cache are for all and yes I agree that cache in the woods are not easy for wheel chair people there are a lot of others that they can do that are not being approved is the point this person was making.

                                      Just because you are not a handicap person you should not be so rude to them.

                                      I think most people here are complaining too much. Geocaching will always be there and for those who don't like the way its run on geocaching.com find another place to go and stop complaining.

                                      --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:
                                      > Others not so nimble as us youngsters want to get
                                      > involved in our sport, but
                                      > can't because there are very few wheel chair
                                      > accessible caches.

                                      Do you Yahoo!?