"Whirling" Compass

  • M.Schreffler
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 14, 2007
      amick and I have been running into the problem of
      caches with tall buildings or rock walls where our GPS
      just won't settle down. We don't know if we're near
      the caches or not. We can just stand still and the
      number of feet will change from 75 to zero and back up
      again in three different places. Any suggestions about
      how to hone in on a cache when there are tall barriers
      nearby?

      motx/martha

      Be a PS3 game guru.
    • Peter M. Maurer

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 14, 2007
          On 3/14/07, M.Schreffler <mschref@...> wrote:
          > amick and I have been running into the problem of
          > caches with tall buildings or rock walls where our GPS
          > just won't settle down. We don't know if we're near
          > the caches or not. We can just stand still and the
          > number of feet will change from 75 to zero and back up
          > again in three different places. Any suggestions about
          > how to hone in on a cache when there are tall barriers
          > nearby?

          Its unavoidable as far as I know. I am not an engineer, but I have
          been told it has to do with bounce and such behavior is typical of
          cliff faces or building walls.

          When I am in the field, I tend to get a distance away from the
          obstruction to eliminate this 'bounce'. Using a compass GoTo away
          from the obstruction, I can get a decent bearing to GZ and tend to
          walk it off.

          NB: I have an electronic compass in my 60CS, so I dont have to move my
          heiney to get the compass GoTo to be accurate.
        • Criselda Miller
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 14, 2007
            GeoMire showed Me how to Triangulate, really guesstemate

            Nick Silkey <nsilkey@...> wrote:
            On 3/14/07, M.Schreffler <mschref@yahoo. com> wrote:
            > amick and I have been running into the problem of
            > caches with tall buildings or rock walls where our GPS
            > just won't settle down. We don't know if we're near
            > the caches or not. We can just stand still and the
            > number of feet will change from 75 to zero and back up
            > again in three different places. Any suggestions about
            > how to hone in on a cache when there are tall barriers
            > nearby?

            Its unavoidable as far as I know. I am not an engineer, but I have
            been told it has to do with bounce and such behavior is typical of
            cliff faces or building walls.

            When I am in the field, I tend to get a distance away from the
            obstruction to eliminate this 'bounce'. Using a compass GoTo away
            from the obstruction, I can get a decent bearing to GZ and tend to
            walk it off.

            NB: I have an electronic compass in my 60CS, so I dont have to move my
            heiney to get the compass GoTo to be accurate.

            Finding fabulous fares is fun.

          • Doc
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 14, 2007
              Read the hint...?

              but seriously, if my GPS is bouncing around, it's usually because I'm standing still.  I will walk off about 50 - 100 feet and come back at it, keeping my eye on the "direction" the GPS is pointing at.  Then I will try from the opposite direction again keeping an eye on the direction.  I will try to imagine where those two imaginary lines would intersect and hopefully that will get me closer...  on a hill, I find the cache is often uphill from where the GPS says it is....

              Barry

              At 04:51 PM 3/14/2007, you wrote:

              amick and I have been running into the problem of
              caches with tall buildings or rock walls where our GPS
              just won't settle down. We don't know if we're near
              the caches or not. We can just stand still and the
              number of feet will change from 75 to zero and back up
              again in three different places. Any suggestions about
              how to hone in on a cache when there are tall barriers
              nearby?

              motx/martha

              Be a PS3 game guru.
              http://videogames. yahoo.com/ platform? platform= 120121

              Finding fabulous fares is fun.

            • StratmanAndTheHoot@suddenlink.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 14, 2007
                Message
                Whirling compass syndrome is very common with Stratman and the Hoot.  What we do to get the smiley in this situation is very simple.  We carry a spare film canister with a log and place it where we think ground zero should have been, and we sign it.

                Moosiegirl loves it too because she eventually comes along and finds the original plus ours.  It makes her trip to that spot twice as fun!  Each time she is sure to call me and tell me :D

                Thanks!
                Curtis / Stratman

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 19, 2007
                  Um. Move away until it stops whirling. Get as good an angle as you can get. Vector in and....
                  Go-Go-Cacher Senses!

                  And keep the hot line number programmed into your Cell.

                  There are times that a GPS only gets you close -- and the rest is up to human sussing.
                  And there are times the GPS is spot on certain -- 30 feet from the cache.

                  I know. NOT the magic handshake you wanted to hear. But if you do have an effective find the cache dance, I'd love to film it!

                  At 04:51 PM 3/14/2007, you wrote:

                  amick and I have been running into the problem of
                  caches with tall buildings or rock walls where our GPS
                  just won't settle down. We don't know if we're near
                  the caches or not. We can just stand still and the
                  number of feet will change from 75 to zero and back up
                  again in three different places. Any suggestions about
                  how to hone in on a cache when there are tall barriers
                  nearby?

                  motx/martha

                  Be a PS3 game guru.

                  Enthusiasm is the yeast that raises the dough. --Paul J. Meyer