Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] What's going to happen if they decide to pick up their toys and go home?

  • The Diver
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
      Mark,

      What were the reasons for "The Cheerful Dead" being rejected? Based on
      the so called "guidelines", I don't see why it should be rejected?

      alan
      aka The Diver

      On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 08:11, Mark Gessner wrote:
      > I've been thinking about geocaching.com lately. I've had a perfectly
      > legitimate virtual cache (GCB841, "The Cheerful Dead") on hold for a
      > week while trying to convince the 'approver' that it is legitimate.
      >
      > Brings me to the subject point: what happens when the owners of
      > geocaching.com decide to pick up their toys and go home? Seems like
      > the whole game is played on their board with their pieces, by their
      > rules, at their whim.
      >
      > I guess I'm wondering if there is some way to make this game 'open
      > source.' Instead of a central geocaching.com site, have a more
      > peer-to-peer arrangement with the cache pages spread out over many
      > unrelated servers with perhaps a search engine or yahoo-like portal
      > helping to tie them together.
      >
      > I would be a sad camper indeed if they ever shut down geocaching.com
      > (on purpose or by accident). Anyone backing up their cache pages to a
      > local machine?
      >
      > Could we recover if the powers that be got bored of geocaching.com and
      > shut 'er down?
      >
      > -mark
      > aka lowracer

    • Mark Gessner
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
        The secret guidelines now include:

        1) I (the approver) personally don't like virtuals.
        2) If you can at all possible place a small container with a logbook,
        do so, because (see #1).
        3) This just isn't unique enough, even though I (the approver) have
        never even seen the place
        4) The rules for virtuals are changing, we (the approving class) are
        approving less of them because (see #1).
        5) I (the approver) am letting this go to my head, I have the power, my
        game: "Neener neener neener."

        From now on all my caches are starting out as 50 cal ammo boxes with a
        logbook inside, hidden in a state park. Immediately after approval,
        some may secretly turn into virtuals and the coordinates may change
        --well... more than a little bit. :-)

        -mark
        aka lowracer

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 1, 2003
          Well then, I guess that I must be weird or something because I actually
          like virtuals. So I guess if your virtual is associated with a
          historical marker, then you must attach a magnetic box on the back for a
          log book? To me, virtuals are just points of interest. Take for instance
          my virtual, GCA946 - Golden-cheeked Warbler, I could really care less
          that someone emailed the answers or even emailed the correct answers. To
          me, it's just a POI and I hope they enjoyed the location.

          alan

        • Eoghan <eoghan@sharawadgi.com>
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 1, 2003
            Posted this yesterday but it never showed up in my email box, only
            the archives, so I'm resending it since it seems to have gotten lost
            somewhere on the way to distribution.

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Eoghan <eoghan@s...>"

            http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/)

            > The pro's and con's have been endlessly debated on every forum I've
            > seen. If anyone wants to find out what each side has to say they
            can,
            > with a little work, dig it out of:
            > the groundspeak forums
            > (http://opentopic.groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic),
            > the old groundspeak forums archive
            > (not all posts migrated to the new forums, not sure how to get to
            > these anymore),
            > the archive of the usenet group alt.rec.geocaching,
            > the original email list "Global Positioning Stash Hunt" archives
            > (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gpsstash/),
            > the Navicache forums
            > (http://navicache.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi),
            > or the Geocaching Worldwide Forums
            > (http://www.geocachingworldwide.com/forum.asp)
            >
            > Questions about centralized vs. decentralized, open source vs.
            > proprietary, single owner vs. organization, cache ownership vs.
            cache

          • Will Nienke <nienke@nienke.com>
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 6, 2003
              Hi,
              As a newbie geocaching.com admin, I can tell you that there is no
              specific bias, posted or not, against virtuals.

              Hang in there folks! Its not as bad as it seems, and it IS just a
              game! :-)

              9Key

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, The Diver

            • David Gahagan
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 7, 2003
                Will, glad to see you're on board and I know you'll always be fair. The
                problem seems centered around one paticular admin and virtual caches. If
                you've been on this list long, or have read the archives, you know who I'm
                talking about. Quite frankly, I would like to see him gone for good. In my
                opinion, he brings nothing to the sport. I'll be over at navicache and
                austinexplorer's site from now on. I got nothing for my "Charter
                Membership" but grief and a few poorly constructed features.

                FireCacher