Speaking of Adopt-A-Highway

  • A Allen (SEMIK)
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
      I'm excited about the discussion on here about the Adopt-A-Highway
      program! I really hope that we can find something we can commit to.
      I was involved in an organization that joined an Adopt-A-Highway
      program in North Texas when I lived up there and it was very rewarding
      (through trial and error I learned some good tricks to make it a
      relatively pleasant experience).

      I also want to bring to everyone's attention that both the City of
      Austin Parks and Recreation department and Travis County Parks
      department have "Adopt A Park" programs. These programs range from
      just sponsoring a park to actually rolling up your sleeves and
      becoming part of a team that cleans up, protects and improves area
      parks.

      We've had threads on here discussing ways to get the City of Austin
      and Travis county authorities to see geocachers as a beneficial group -
      -- well-meaning citizens that have a conscience for rules and
      regulations and preserving our geocaching area. Well, this seems like
      a great opportunity to sell 'em on the idea!

      I went to the southside of downtown to Palm Park today in response to
      the entry by Mommabug and checked out the park. Vagrants who don't
      clean up after themselves have really made a mess in the north side of
      that park -- and this is a park that visitors to our city see if they
      don't get far away from the downtown area. The majority of the park
      just looks old and rundown, but I think it'd be nice to have a CITO
      event down there and pick up all the broken liquor bottles and trash
      that have accumulated... I'm of the frame of mind that we don't have
      to wait for the official "CITO" day to have a CITO event -- correct me
      if I'm wrong. I'm sure the city would do something towards assisting
      us like provide trash bags or even send folks to work with us.

      Anyway, let me know if you are interested in participating in an Adopt
      a Park program and I'll get more information.

      Audra
      Semik
    • Perrine, Julie
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007

        I like the adopt a highway thing as a permanent community service, and then we can still pick a park for annual CITO.

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
          Hey ya,

          I had applied for "Adopt A Highway" last year, and have been in contact with them several times. The hard part of organizing it is finding a "group" that can commit to attend the clean ups, and they must have the provided "safety" training. I'm still looking at adopting several miles of highway in the San Antonio area, but haven't had much time to work on the details.

          Another program I have been working on is "Keep San Antonio Beautiful / Adopt A Spot". This is a local group of "Keep America Beautiful", and they have a local group in the Austin area as well. This might be something to look into, that doesn't require a large area, and less committed people. Most areas adopted can be maintained by one or very few volunteers.

          Anthony

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
            In picking a park for annual CITO -- do you mean instead of "Adopt a
            Park" we just do CITO event? Can we just go there and pick up trash
            or are we required to contact either city or county park officials to
            let them know we are looking for a park to CITO?

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Perrine, Julie"

          • palbers@austin.rr.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
              You are correct. You can hold a CITO event any time you want to.
              You don't need to wait the weekend of April 14, but would be cool
              to have one in our area that weekend too?

              A good link regarding single CITO events and potential ongoing
              ones, can be found here:

              http://www.cacheintrashout.org/howtoorganize.aspx

              -paul
              HiDude_98

            • A Allen (SEMIK)
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
                Well, give me an idea of what everyone wants to do -- since we were
                originally discussing Adopt-A-Highway do we want to make that the
                Austin area official CITO project for April 14th?? And use CITO day
                to kickoff our commitment to keeping our adopted highway clean?

                or

                do we want to do something separate specifically for CITO day?

                I'll volunteer to gather information for a park (city or county) that
                is centrally located --as best as I can. But ONLY if that's what
                everyone wants.

                We really have a great population of geocachers right here in a 20-30
                mile radius of the center of Austin -- there's no reason we can't
                start being more civically minded as a group. It would certainly be
                to our advantage to do so. I love it that we are discussing the
                Adopt-A-Highway and you can be certain I'll be there to fulfill the
                commitment!

                Lemme know what you think!

                --Audra
                semik

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, palbers@... wrote:

                > You are correct. You can hold a CITO event any time you want to.
                > You don't need to wait the weekend of April 14, but would be cool
                > to have one in our area that weekend too?
                >
                > A good link regarding single CITO events and potential ongoing
                > ones, can be found here:
                >
                > http://www.cacheintrashout.org/howtoorganize.aspx
                >
                > -paul
                > HiDude_98

              • Jack Glantzberg
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
                  Adopt-a-Highway, Adopt-a-Park, Adopt-a-Highway AND CITO a Park...
                  It's all good to me. I'll certainly help out.

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "A Allen (SEMIK)"