Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] What's going to happen if they decide to pick up their toys and go home?

  • David Gahagan
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
      Dan, could you post your experiences to the thread I started at
      Geocaching.com.

      Maybe Jeremy will find my thread and provide some input.

      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
        I don't mind posting it there David, but I've talked directly with
        Jeremy (via email), and he's the one who told me all of this, so I
        didn't really have many more places in which to complain. Just for your
        information "erik88l-r" (Erik) is the one who has cancelled all my
        recent caches. So, if yours gets cancelled by him don't be surprised.

        What's sad is that they came up with posting rules to follow and I've
        followed all of them, but the caches were still cancelled. I asked
        Jeremy for the location where proximity is listed in the posting rules
        and he responded on my cache page with "This cache will not be approved.
        It is entirely too close to an existing cache" and that's it. After
        threatening to not support the sport any more and being as tactful as
        possible, this was a giant middle-finger to me and fellow cachers, so my
        only recourse was to stop the sport entirely. That's worked well for me
        because now I don't have to deal with these immature people. If they
        came up with better guidelines and adjusted their page slightly to
        support "proof" of virtual cache finds that would be one thing, but to
        pay $30+ per year for very few features and then to have horrible
        customer service, I'll treat them like any other bad business and take
        my business elsewhere .. like the arcade. I really liked the sport
        though, and I still subscribe to this mailing list because I made some
        good friends caching and this is the best way to keep in touch with them
        since I'm not running into them on the 'field' any more.

        I hope things change in the future for the sport, but it's unlikely.

        -Dan

      • GPS Dude
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
          Actually, there IS a way to prove that people have been to a webcam
          cache, or at least my webcam caches because I make people post an image
          of themselves doing something silly (and they all seem to enjoy
          that....go figure). I realize that webcams are an exception to the
          "prove it" rule.

          However, on the topic of the maximum number of caches in a park, I think
          everyone would agree it totally depends on the size of the park. Take
          the Austin Barton Creek Greenbelt, I think there are around 10 caches in
          there and it could easily hold a few more. Personally, I like being
          able to park my car in one place and then hike for 3-5 hours to find a
          series of caches. Although I have done my share of park...find URP in
          20 minutes, get back in car and drive to another park, find URP, etc...
          I still prefer more caches in the parks in general. I'm not concerned
          too much with my number of finds as I am in having a wide diversity of
          GOOD caches.

          I'm not against virtuals either, as I have hidden some and found many,
          but I do get a bit tired of "what is the last word on named Historical
          plaque". Actually, the geocaching.com website says "although many
          locations are interesting, a virtual cache should be out of the ordinary
          enough to warrant logging a visit". Now everyone can interpret that
          statement how they want to but I read "out of the ordinary" as things
          you don't just find everywhere (like historical plaques). Although I
          enjoy history, I'd rather not visit every historical plaque in Austin.
          Don't get me wrong, I have done some of Daniel's virtuals and really
          loved them (I attended UT and never could find that bullet hole until
          Daniel's virtual came along).

          I guess what I'm trying to say is that they may be scrutinizing virtuals
          more than regular caches because of the proliferation of historical
          plaque type virtuals.

          Scott Robuck
          Team GeoDillo

          "Trying is the first step towards failure."
          -- Homer Simpson
        • David Gahagan
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
            What do you mean Erik cancelled all your recent caches? Ones that you
            places or ones that you claimed to find?

            Well if you have talked to Jeremy, then so be it. I moving in the direction
            of your boat at this point. These tools have made the site, and thus the
            sport nothing but a political quagmire of unlisted rules, regulations and
            pie in the sky dreams of how they want the sport to work.

            In the words of Homer Simpson, they can "cram it with walnuts".

            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
              I've never had a 'find' cancelled, only 'hides.' I know they are only
              doing it to try to make the sport better in their eyes, but when one of
              their original cachers with a high-find count who pays dues every year
              asks for an audience with the pope and gets brushed off, I realize this
              sport isn't for me.

              -Daniel

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                Based on the replies for my post at geocaching.com it sounds as though we
                are in the minority. Most of those people can't think outside the box, so
                anything out of the ordinary is foreign and thus against the rules.

                What fools to eliminate so many wonderful places with such stupid rules.
                They haven't even thought about those who may be physically disabled and
                enjoy this sport. Tragic is the best word I can find to explain it.

                See you on a trail in the future, maybe.

                Looks like I'll have more time for homebrewing beer again..... :-) I guess
                it isn't all bad!

                Later
                FireCacher

                > I've never had a 'find' cancelled, only 'hides.' I know they are only
                > doing it to try to make the sport better in their eyes, but when one of
                > their original cachers with a high-find count who pays dues every year
                > asks for an audience with the pope and gets brushed off, I realize this
                > sport isn't for me.
                >
                > -Daniel

              • The Diver
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                  Mark,

                  What were the reasons for "The Cheerful Dead" being rejected? Based on
                  the so called "guidelines", I don't see why it should be rejected?

                  alan
                  aka The Diver

                  On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 08:11, Mark Gessner wrote:
                  > I've been thinking about geocaching.com lately. I've had a perfectly
                  > legitimate virtual cache (GCB841, "The Cheerful Dead") on hold for a
                  > week while trying to convince the 'approver' that it is legitimate.
                  >
                  > Brings me to the subject point: what happens when the owners of
                  > geocaching.com decide to pick up their toys and go home? Seems like
                  > the whole game is played on their board with their pieces, by their
                  > rules, at their whim.
                  >
                  > I guess I'm wondering if there is some way to make this game 'open
                  > source.' Instead of a central geocaching.com site, have a more
                  > peer-to-peer arrangement with the cache pages spread out over many
                  > unrelated servers with perhaps a search engine or yahoo-like portal
                  > helping to tie them together.
                  >
                  > I would be a sad camper indeed if they ever shut down geocaching.com
                  > (on purpose or by accident). Anyone backing up their cache pages to a
                  > local machine?
                  >
                  > Could we recover if the powers that be got bored of geocaching.com and
                  > shut 'er down?
                  >
                  > -mark
                  > aka lowracer

                • Mark Gessner
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                    The secret guidelines now include:

                    1) I (the approver) personally don't like virtuals.
                    2) If you can at all possible place a small container with a logbook,
                    do so, because (see #1).
                    3) This just isn't unique enough, even though I (the approver) have
                    never even seen the place
                    4) The rules for virtuals are changing, we (the approving class) are
                    approving less of them because (see #1).
                    5) I (the approver) am letting this go to my head, I have the power, my
                    game: "Neener neener neener."

                    From now on all my caches are starting out as 50 cal ammo boxes with a
                    logbook inside, hidden in a state park. Immediately after approval,
                    some may secretly turn into virtuals and the coordinates may change
                    --well... more than a little bit. :-)

                    -mark
                    aka lowracer

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 1, 2003
                      Well then, I guess that I must be weird or something because I actually
                      like virtuals. So I guess if your virtual is associated with a
                      historical marker, then you must attach a magnetic box on the back for a
                      log book? To me, virtuals are just points of interest. Take for instance
                      my virtual, GCA946 - Golden-cheeked Warbler, I could really care less
                      that someone emailed the answers or even emailed the correct answers. To
                      me, it's just a POI and I hope they enjoyed the location.

                      alan

                    • Eoghan <eoghan@sharawadgi.com>
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 1, 2003
                        Posted this yesterday but it never showed up in my email box, only
                        the archives, so I'm resending it since it seems to have gotten lost
                        somewhere on the way to distribution.

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Eoghan <eoghan@s...>"

                        http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/)

                        > The pro's and con's have been endlessly debated on every forum I've
                        > seen. If anyone wants to find out what each side has to say they
                        can,
                        > with a little work, dig it out of:
                        > the groundspeak forums
                        > (http://opentopic.groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic),
                        > the old groundspeak forums archive
                        > (not all posts migrated to the new forums, not sure how to get to
                        > these anymore),
                        > the archive of the usenet group alt.rec.geocaching,
                        > the original email list "Global Positioning Stash Hunt" archives
                        > (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gpsstash/),
                        > the Navicache forums
                        > (http://navicache.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi),
                        > or the Geocaching Worldwide Forums
                        > (http://www.geocachingworldwide.com/forum.asp)
                        >
                        > Questions about centralized vs. decentralized, open source vs.
                        > proprietary, single owner vs. organization, cache ownership vs.
                        cache

                      • Will Nienke <nienke@nienke.com>
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 6, 2003
                          Hi,
                          As a newbie geocaching.com admin, I can tell you that there is no
                          specific bias, posted or not, against virtuals.

                          Hang in there folks! Its not as bad as it seems, and it IS just a
                          game! :-)

                          9Key

                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, The Diver

                        • David Gahagan
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 7, 2003
                            Will, glad to see you're on board and I know you'll always be fair. The
                            problem seems centered around one paticular admin and virtual caches. If
                            you've been on this list long, or have read the archives, you know who I'm
                            talking about. Quite frankly, I would like to see him gone for good. In my
                            opinion, he brings nothing to the sport. I'll be over at navicache and
                            austinexplorer's site from now on. I got nothing for my "Charter
                            Membership" but grief and a few poorly constructed features.

                            FireCacher