Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Advice on Making Rubber Stamps

  • Grajek
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
      Thats okay Mark. I was a land surveyor when I was young and worked out in
      the woods a lot. This was about the time Fire Ants made it to Texas, I
      remember when there were no fire ants in Austin. I started out as a rodman.
      I was giving the eye-man a benchmark reading off an Oak tree when my legs
      felt like they were on fire. The next thing I know the crew is doubled over
      laughing and crying and I am standing buck naked trying to get the bastards
      out of the most sensitive of areas. Man that sucked.

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
        You are going to keep it right! All you have to do is stamp it on the
        back side of the log page!

        Lou

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Gessner
        <mgessner@a...> wrote:
        > Some key advice, after spending an hour meticulously carving a detailed
        > and intricate design into a Staedtler/Mars drafting eraser, using a
        > jeweler's loupe and a surgical-quality razor knife:
        >
        > Before cutting, draw the pattern on the eraser BACKWARDS!
        >
        > I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints a
        > backward image and text.
        >
        > -mark
        > aka "RECARWOL"
      • L. Kevin D.
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
          Well, I guess if Mark and Jeff can tell amusing ant stories; so can I.
          Last Fri., I had just found the newly replaced "Swamp Romp" (GCGNDG).
          Being
          lazy and having learned to take advantage of available objects, I sat
          down on a willow log to log my find. (It turned out to be rotten.)
          At first, it started to collapse, so I scooted back a bit. As I was
          opening the cache container, I happened to notice dozens of ants
          crawling around on my shorts. I didn't think they were biting because
          I felt no pain or discomfort. The next day, however, I noticed about
          20 bites on each leg, and 5 or 6 around my waist. Does anybody know
          if fireants live in rotten logs?

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Grajek" <jgrajek@a...>
          wrote:
          > Thats okay Mark. I was a land surveyor when I was young and worked
          out in
          > the woods a lot. This was about the time Fire Ants made it to
          Texas, I
          > remember when there were no fire ants in Austin. I started out as a
          rodman.
          > I was giving the eye-man a benchmark reading off an Oak tree when my
          legs
          > felt like they were on fire. The next thing I know the crew is
          doubled over
          > laughing and crying and I am standing buck naked trying to get the
          bastards
          > out of the most sensitive of areas. Man that sucked.

          Stamps

          > > OK here come the Aggie jokes!
          > >
          > > Kevin is referring to the first time I learned about fire ants.
          The
          > > year was 1983, I was fresh off the boat, a compleat newbie to
          Texas.
          > > Before arriving here, I had worked a summer on the golf course in
          Idaho
          > > as a night shift irrigation worker. One of my duties besides
          watering
          > > all the grass was killing off any rodents that were eating up the
          golf
          > > course. In Idaho, mice would dig holes and leave little mounds of
          dirt
          > > around the hole, that's how you knew where to put the poison.
          > >
          > > So I get to Texas A&M, am required by state law to take a couple
          of
          > > mandatory physical education courses, so I take golf. We're out
          on the
          > > driving range one morning, and I see this mouse hole, with a huge
          > > telltale mound of dirt. So thinking nothing of it, I idly "tee
          up" the
          > > mound of dirt, giving it a huge thwhack with my pitching wedge,
          and
          > > sending dirt flying everywhere.
          > >
          > > I wondered why my fellow golf-students were jumping around and
          swatting
          > > like they were on fire, all the while calling me a "Dumb Aggie,"
          and
          > > other less printable names. Yep, you guessed it, this was no
          mouse
          > > hole, it was a fire ant mound, and I had sprayed ants and dirt all
          over
          > > my fellow Ags.
          > >
          > > And thus an Idaho waterman learns about Texas fire ants.
          > >
          > > -mark
          > > aka "lowracer"
          > >
          > > On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 04:03 PM, L. Kevin D. wrote:
          > >

          > > > "I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints

          > > > Hey Mark,
          > > > Is that anything like hitting a fireant nest with a golf
          club? :)

          > > > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or
          Lexmark