Re: Advice on Making Rubber Stamps

  • L. Kevin D.
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
      "I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints
      > backward image and text.
      >
      > -mark
      > aka "RECARWOL""

      Hey Mark,
      Is that anything like hitting a fireant nest with a golf club? :)
    • Mark Gessner
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
        OK here come the Aggie jokes!

        Kevin is referring to the first time I learned about fire ants. The
        year was 1983, I was fresh off the boat, a compleat newbie to Texas.
        Before arriving here, I had worked a summer on the golf course in Idaho
        as a night shift irrigation worker. One of my duties besides watering
        all the grass was killing off any rodents that were eating up the golf
        course. In Idaho, mice would dig holes and leave little mounds of dirt
        around the hole, that's how you knew where to put the poison.

        So I get to Texas A&M, am required by state law to take a couple of
        mandatory physical education courses, so I take golf. We're out on the
        driving range one morning, and I see this mouse hole, with a huge
        telltale mound of dirt. So thinking nothing of it, I idly "tee up" the
        mound of dirt, giving it a huge thwhack with my pitching wedge, and
        sending dirt flying everywhere.

        I wondered why my fellow golf-students were jumping around and swatting
        like they were on fire, all the while calling me a "Dumb Aggie," and
        other less printable names. Yep, you guessed it, this was no mouse
        hole, it was a fire ant mound, and I had sprayed ants and dirt all over
        my fellow Ags.

        And thus an Idaho waterman learns about Texas fire ants.

        -mark
        aka "lowracer"

        On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 04:03 PM, L. Kevin D. wrote:

        > "I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints
        >> backward image and text.
        >>
        >> -mark
        >> aka "RECARWOL""
        >
        > Hey Mark,
        > Is that anything like hitting a fireant nest with a golf club? :)

        -mark
      • Cindy
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
          After all I have read, I  have held lowracer, and now he shows his other side, which shows that if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at(?). Although I did laugh at both of these posts, I appreciate your willingness to share your misadventures. I needed a good laugh today and a smile and you gave me both.

          Cindy
          aka Catalyst2003

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Cindy
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
            now I did it, ... I left out "in high regard" so now all of you are wondering what the heck...lol

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • Grajek
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
              Thats okay Mark. I was a land surveyor when I was young and worked out in
              the woods a lot. This was about the time Fire Ants made it to Texas, I
              remember when there were no fire ants in Austin. I started out as a rodman.
              I was giving the eye-man a benchmark reading off an Oak tree when my legs
              felt like they were on fire. The next thing I know the crew is doubled over
              laughing and crying and I am standing buck naked trying to get the bastards
              out of the most sensitive of areas. Man that sucked.

              > Kevin is referring to the first time I learned about fire ants. The
              > year was 1983, I was fresh off the boat, a compleat newbie to Texas.
              > Before arriving here, I had worked a summer on the golf course in Idaho
              > as a night shift irrigation worker. One of my duties besides watering
              > all the grass was killing off any rodents that were eating up the golf
              > course. In Idaho, mice would dig holes and leave little mounds of dirt
              > around the hole, that's how you knew where to put the poison.
              >
              > So I get to Texas A&M, am required by state law to take a couple of
              > mandatory physical education courses, so I take golf. We're out on the
              > driving range one morning, and I see this mouse hole, with a huge
              > telltale mound of dirt. So thinking nothing of it, I idly "tee up" the
              > mound of dirt, giving it a huge thwhack with my pitching wedge, and
              > sending dirt flying everywhere.
              >
              > I wondered why my fellow golf-students were jumping around and swatting
              > like they were on fire, all the while calling me a "Dumb Aggie," and
              > other less printable names. Yep, you guessed it, this was no mouse
              > hole, it was a fire ant mound, and I had sprayed ants and dirt all over
              > my fellow Ags.
              >
              > And thus an Idaho waterman learns about Texas fire ants.
              >
              > -mark
              > aka "lowracer"
              >
              > On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 04:03 PM, L. Kevin D. wrote:
              >

              > > "I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints
              > >> backward image and text.
              > >>
              > >> -mark
              > >> aka "RECARWOL""
              > >
              > > Hey Mark,
              > > Is that anything like hitting a fireant nest with a golf club? :)

              > -mark

            • Lou Catozzi
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
                You are going to keep it right! All you have to do is stamp it on the
                back side of the log page!

                Lou

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Gessner
                <mgessner@a...> wrote:
                > Some key advice, after spending an hour meticulously carving a detailed
                > and intricate design into a Staedtler/Mars drafting eraser, using a
                > jeweler's loupe and a surgical-quality razor knife:
                >
                > Before cutting, draw the pattern on the eraser BACKWARDS!
                >
                > I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints a
                > backward image and text.
                >
                > -mark
                > aka "RECARWOL"
              • L. Kevin D.
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
                  Well, I guess if Mark and Jeff can tell amusing ant stories; so can I.
                  Last Fri., I had just found the newly replaced "Swamp Romp" (GCGNDG).
                  Being
                  lazy and having learned to take advantage of available objects, I sat
                  down on a willow log to log my find. (It turned out to be rotten.)
                  At first, it started to collapse, so I scooted back a bit. As I was
                  opening the cache container, I happened to notice dozens of ants
                  crawling around on my shorts. I didn't think they were biting because
                  I felt no pain or discomfort. The next day, however, I noticed about
                  20 bites on each leg, and 5 or 6 around my waist. Does anybody know
                  if fireants live in rotten logs?

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Grajek" <jgrajek@a...>
                  wrote:
                  > Thats okay Mark. I was a land surveyor when I was young and worked
                  out in
                  > the woods a lot. This was about the time Fire Ants made it to
                  Texas, I
                  > remember when there were no fire ants in Austin. I started out as a
                  rodman.
                  > I was giving the eye-man a benchmark reading off an Oak tree when my
                  legs
                  > felt like they were on fire. The next thing I know the crew is
                  doubled over
                  > laughing and crying and I am standing buck naked trying to get the
                  bastards
                  > out of the most sensitive of areas. Man that sucked.

                  Stamps

                  > > OK here come the Aggie jokes!
                  > >
                  > > Kevin is referring to the first time I learned about fire ants.
                  The
                  > > year was 1983, I was fresh off the boat, a compleat newbie to
                  Texas.
                  > > Before arriving here, I had worked a summer on the golf course in
                  Idaho
                  > > as a night shift irrigation worker. One of my duties besides
                  watering
                  > > all the grass was killing off any rodents that were eating up the
                  golf
                  > > course. In Idaho, mice would dig holes and leave little mounds of
                  dirt
                  > > around the hole, that's how you knew where to put the poison.
                  > >
                  > > So I get to Texas A&M, am required by state law to take a couple
                  of
                  > > mandatory physical education courses, so I take golf. We're out
                  on the
                  > > driving range one morning, and I see this mouse hole, with a huge
                  > > telltale mound of dirt. So thinking nothing of it, I idly "tee
                  up" the
                  > > mound of dirt, giving it a huge thwhack with my pitching wedge,
                  and
                  > > sending dirt flying everywhere.
                  > >
                  > > I wondered why my fellow golf-students were jumping around and
                  swatting
                  > > like they were on fire, all the while calling me a "Dumb Aggie,"
                  and
                  > > other less printable names. Yep, you guessed it, this was no
                  mouse
                  > > hole, it was a fire ant mound, and I had sprayed ants and dirt all
                  over
                  > > my fellow Ags.
                  > >
                  > > And thus an Idaho waterman learns about Texas fire ants.
                  > >
                  > > -mark
                  > > aka "lowracer"
                  > >
                  > > On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 04:03 PM, L. Kevin D. wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > "I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints

                  > > > Hey Mark,
                  > > > Is that anything like hitting a fireant nest with a golf
                  club? :)

                  > > > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or
                  Lexmark