Advice on Making Rubber Stamps

  • Mark Gessner
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2 4:55 AM
      Some key advice, after spending an hour meticulously carving a detailed
      and intricate design into a Staedtler/Mars drafting eraser, using a
      jeweler's loupe and a surgical-quality razor knife:

      Before cutting, draw the pattern on the eraser BACKWARDS!

      I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints a
      backward image and text.

      -mark
      aka "RECARWOL"
    • Candy Lind
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2 8:14 AM
        <forcefully thwacking forehead with heel of hand> DOH! Sorry, Mark!

        Best suggestion I have is to carve the negative on the other side and think of it as a humorous and poignant reminder of a lesson learned!

        Candy Lind    candylind@...
        I can quit any time ... really, I CAN!!
        Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 6:55 AM
        Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Advice on Making Rubber Stamps

      • thediver@austin.rr.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2 9:33 AM
          The best suggestion I have is this website http://members.aol.com/Letterboxr/carving.html

          > <forcefully thwacking forehead with heel of hand> DOH! Sorry, Mark!
          >
          > Best suggestion I have is to carve the negative on the other side
          > and think of it as a humorous and poignant reminder of a lesson
          > learned!
          > Candy Lind candylind@...
          > "Hello, my name is Candy, I go by Moosiegirl, and I am a GEOCACHER."
          > I can quit any time ... really, I CAN!!
          > Geocaching worldwide: http://www.geocaching.com in Texas:
          > http://www.txga.net
          > in the Austin area:

        • L. Kevin D.
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2 2:03 PM
            "I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints
            > backward image and text.
            >
            > -mark
            > aka "RECARWOL""

            Hey Mark,
            Is that anything like hitting a fireant nest with a golf club? :)
          • Mark Gessner
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2 2:36 PM
              OK here come the Aggie jokes!

              Kevin is referring to the first time I learned about fire ants. The
              year was 1983, I was fresh off the boat, a compleat newbie to Texas.
              Before arriving here, I had worked a summer on the golf course in Idaho
              as a night shift irrigation worker. One of my duties besides watering
              all the grass was killing off any rodents that were eating up the golf
              course. In Idaho, mice would dig holes and leave little mounds of dirt
              around the hole, that's how you knew where to put the poison.

              So I get to Texas A&M, am required by state law to take a couple of
              mandatory physical education courses, so I take golf. We're out on the
              driving range one morning, and I see this mouse hole, with a huge
              telltale mound of dirt. So thinking nothing of it, I idly "tee up" the
              mound of dirt, giving it a huge thwhack with my pitching wedge, and
              sending dirt flying everywhere.

              I wondered why my fellow golf-students were jumping around and swatting
              like they were on fire, all the while calling me a "Dumb Aggie," and
              other less printable names. Yep, you guessed it, this was no mouse
              hole, it was a fire ant mound, and I had sprayed ants and dirt all over
              my fellow Ags.

              And thus an Idaho waterman learns about Texas fire ants.

              -mark
              aka "lowracer"

              On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 04:03 PM, L. Kevin D. wrote:

              > "I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints
              >> backward image and text.
              >>
              >> -mark
              >> aka "RECARWOL""
              >
              > Hey Mark,
              > Is that anything like hitting a fireant nest with a golf club? :)

              -mark
            • Cindy
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2 2:46 PM
                After all I have read, I  have held lowracer, and now he shows his other side, which shows that if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at(?). Although I did laugh at both of these posts, I appreciate your willingness to share your misadventures. I needed a good laugh today and a smile and you gave me both.

                Cindy
                aka Catalyst2003

                Do you Yahoo!?
              • Cindy
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 2 2:54 PM
                  now I did it, ... I left out "in high regard" so now all of you are wondering what the heck...lol

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                • Grajek
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 2 3:47 PM
                    Thats okay Mark. I was a land surveyor when I was young and worked out in
                    the woods a lot. This was about the time Fire Ants made it to Texas, I
                    remember when there were no fire ants in Austin. I started out as a rodman.
                    I was giving the eye-man a benchmark reading off an Oak tree when my legs
                    felt like they were on fire. The next thing I know the crew is doubled over
                    laughing and crying and I am standing buck naked trying to get the bastards
                    out of the most sensitive of areas. Man that sucked.

                    > Kevin is referring to the first time I learned about fire ants. The
                    > year was 1983, I was fresh off the boat, a compleat newbie to Texas.
                    > Before arriving here, I had worked a summer on the golf course in Idaho
                    > as a night shift irrigation worker. One of my duties besides watering
                    > all the grass was killing off any rodents that were eating up the golf
                    > course. In Idaho, mice would dig holes and leave little mounds of dirt
                    > around the hole, that's how you knew where to put the poison.
                    >
                    > So I get to Texas A&M, am required by state law to take a couple of
                    > mandatory physical education courses, so I take golf. We're out on the
                    > driving range one morning, and I see this mouse hole, with a huge
                    > telltale mound of dirt. So thinking nothing of it, I idly "tee up" the
                    > mound of dirt, giving it a huge thwhack with my pitching wedge, and
                    > sending dirt flying everywhere.
                    >
                    > I wondered why my fellow golf-students were jumping around and swatting
                    > like they were on fire, all the while calling me a "Dumb Aggie," and
                    > other less printable names. Yep, you guessed it, this was no mouse
                    > hole, it was a fire ant mound, and I had sprayed ants and dirt all over
                    > my fellow Ags.
                    >
                    > And thus an Idaho waterman learns about Texas fire ants.
                    >
                    > -mark
                    > aka "lowracer"
                    >
                    > On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 04:03 PM, L. Kevin D. wrote:
                    >

                    > > "I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints
                    > >> backward image and text.
                    > >>
                    > >> -mark
                    > >> aka "RECARWOL""
                    > >
                    > > Hey Mark,
                    > > Is that anything like hitting a fireant nest with a golf club? :)

                    > -mark

                  • Lou Catozzi
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 2 7:00 PM
                      You are going to keep it right! All you have to do is stamp it on the
                      back side of the log page!

                      Lou

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Gessner
                      <mgessner@a...> wrote:
                      > Some key advice, after spending an hour meticulously carving a detailed
                      > and intricate design into a Staedtler/Mars drafting eraser, using a
                      > jeweler's loupe and a surgical-quality razor knife:
                      >
                      > Before cutting, draw the pattern on the eraser BACKWARDS!
                      >
                      > I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints a
                      > backward image and text.
                      >
                      > -mark
                      > aka "RECARWOL"
                    • L. Kevin D.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 2 11:24 PM
                        Well, I guess if Mark and Jeff can tell amusing ant stories; so can I.
                        Last Fri., I had just found the newly replaced "Swamp Romp" (GCGNDG).
                        Being
                        lazy and having learned to take advantage of available objects, I sat
                        down on a willow log to log my find. (It turned out to be rotten.)
                        At first, it started to collapse, so I scooted back a bit. As I was
                        opening the cache container, I happened to notice dozens of ants
                        crawling around on my shorts. I didn't think they were biting because
                        I felt no pain or discomfort. The next day, however, I noticed about
                        20 bites on each leg, and 5 or 6 around my waist. Does anybody know
                        if fireants live in rotten logs?

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Grajek" <jgrajek@a...>
                        wrote:
                        > Thats okay Mark. I was a land surveyor when I was young and worked
                        out in
                        > the woods a lot. This was about the time Fire Ants made it to
                        Texas, I
                        > remember when there were no fire ants in Austin. I started out as a
                        rodman.
                        > I was giving the eye-man a benchmark reading off an Oak tree when my
                        legs
                        > felt like they were on fire. The next thing I know the crew is
                        doubled over
                        > laughing and crying and I am standing buck naked trying to get the
                        bastards
                        > out of the most sensitive of areas. Man that sucked.

                        Stamps

                        > > OK here come the Aggie jokes!
                        > >
                        > > Kevin is referring to the first time I learned about fire ants.
                        The
                        > > year was 1983, I was fresh off the boat, a compleat newbie to
                        Texas.
                        > > Before arriving here, I had worked a summer on the golf course in
                        Idaho
                        > > as a night shift irrigation worker. One of my duties besides
                        watering
                        > > all the grass was killing off any rodents that were eating up the
                        golf
                        > > course. In Idaho, mice would dig holes and leave little mounds of
                        dirt
                        > > around the hole, that's how you knew where to put the poison.
                        > >
                        > > So I get to Texas A&M, am required by state law to take a couple
                        of
                        > > mandatory physical education courses, so I take golf. We're out
                        on the
                        > > driving range one morning, and I see this mouse hole, with a huge
                        > > telltale mound of dirt. So thinking nothing of it, I idly "tee
                        up" the
                        > > mound of dirt, giving it a huge thwhack with my pitching wedge,
                        and
                        > > sending dirt flying everywhere.
                        > >
                        > > I wondered why my fellow golf-students were jumping around and
                        swatting
                        > > like they were on fire, all the while calling me a "Dumb Aggie,"
                        and
                        > > other less printable names. Yep, you guessed it, this was no
                        mouse
                        > > hole, it was a fire ant mound, and I had sprayed ants and dirt all
                        over
                        > > my fellow Ags.
                        > >
                        > > And thus an Idaho waterman learns about Texas fire ants.
                        > >
                        > > -mark
                        > > aka "lowracer"
                        > >
                        > > On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 04:03 PM, L. Kevin D. wrote:
                        > >

                        > > > "I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints

                        > > > Hey Mark,
                        > > > Is that anything like hitting a fireant nest with a golf
                        club? :)

                        > > > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or
                        Lexmark