Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] planning trip searches

  • Mark Gessner
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
      Here's how I did it on my recent trip to Pittsburgh, which included a
      drive from "da burgh" up to Buffalo NY:

      1) log on to geocaching.com, do a search from pittsburgh (pick any zip
      within the city, say 15085), generate a 100 mile radius search, then
      download these waypoints using easyGPS. You can filter these searches
      so there's no virtuals, no level 5's etc., as you prefer.
      2) Find the next city (within 100 miles) along the intended route,
      which would be Sharon PA, input this zip code and do another 100 mile
      radius.
      3) find the next city, Erie PA, 100 mile radius, same thing.
      4) find next city, Buffalo NY, 100 mile radius, same deal.

      This gets the waypoints into the GPS, including overlap between the
      cities but downloading the overlap doesn't hurt, it just overwrites any
      duplicates. The 100 mile radius should cover any alternate routes,
      YMMV.

      This technique doesn't get any descriptions though. Navigate to the
      cache using just the waypoint, then if stumped, pull out the Samsung
      A500 SprintPCS phone and do a google search using the built-in web
      browser for the waypoint ID. This allows one to read the page and even
      decrypt the hint.

      On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 10:43 PM, Candy Lind wrote:

      > Here's what we've done. It takes some time, but has worked pretty
      > well, in the absence of that program that Mark was talking about.

    • Mark Gessner
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
        Some key advice, after spending an hour meticulously carving a detailed
        and intricate design into a Staedtler/Mars drafting eraser, using a
        jeweler's loupe and a surgical-quality razor knife:

        Before cutting, draw the pattern on the eraser BACKWARDS!

        I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints a
        backward image and text.

        -mark
        aka "RECARWOL"
      • Candy Lind
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
          <forcefully thwacking forehead with heel of hand> DOH! Sorry, Mark!

          Best suggestion I have is to carve the negative on the other side and think of it as a humorous and poignant reminder of a lesson learned!

          Candy Lind    candylind@...
          I can quit any time ... really, I CAN!!
          Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 6:55 AM
          Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Advice on Making Rubber Stamps

        • thediver@austin.rr.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
            The best suggestion I have is this website http://members.aol.com/Letterboxr/carving.html

            > <forcefully thwacking forehead with heel of hand> DOH! Sorry, Mark!
            >
            > Best suggestion I have is to carve the negative on the other side
            > and think of it as a humorous and poignant reminder of a lesson
            > learned!
            > Candy Lind candylind@...
            > "Hello, my name is Candy, I go by Moosiegirl, and I am a GEOCACHER."
            > I can quit any time ... really, I CAN!!
            > Geocaching worldwide: http://www.geocaching.com in Texas:
            > http://www.txga.net
            > in the Austin area:

          • L. Kevin D.
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
              "I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints
              > backward image and text.
              >
              > -mark
              > aka "RECARWOL""

              Hey Mark,
              Is that anything like hitting a fireant nest with a golf club? :)
            • Mark Gessner
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
                OK here come the Aggie jokes!

                Kevin is referring to the first time I learned about fire ants. The
                year was 1983, I was fresh off the boat, a compleat newbie to Texas.
                Before arriving here, I had worked a summer on the golf course in Idaho
                as a night shift irrigation worker. One of my duties besides watering
                all the grass was killing off any rodents that were eating up the golf
                course. In Idaho, mice would dig holes and leave little mounds of dirt
                around the hole, that's how you knew where to put the poison.

                So I get to Texas A&M, am required by state law to take a couple of
                mandatory physical education courses, so I take golf. We're out on the
                driving range one morning, and I see this mouse hole, with a huge
                telltale mound of dirt. So thinking nothing of it, I idly "tee up" the
                mound of dirt, giving it a huge thwhack with my pitching wedge, and
                sending dirt flying everywhere.

                I wondered why my fellow golf-students were jumping around and swatting
                like they were on fire, all the while calling me a "Dumb Aggie," and
                other less printable names. Yep, you guessed it, this was no mouse
                hole, it was a fire ant mound, and I had sprayed ants and dirt all over
                my fellow Ags.

                And thus an Idaho waterman learns about Texas fire ants.

                -mark
                aka "lowracer"

                On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 04:03 PM, L. Kevin D. wrote:

                > "I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints
                >> backward image and text.
                >>
                >> -mark
                >> aka "RECARWOL""
                >
                > Hey Mark,
                > Is that anything like hitting a fireant nest with a golf club? :)

                -mark
              • Cindy
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
                  After all I have read, I  have held lowracer, and now he shows his other side, which shows that if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at(?). Although I did laugh at both of these posts, I appreciate your willingness to share your misadventures. I needed a good laugh today and a smile and you gave me both.

                  Cindy
                  aka Catalyst2003

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                • Cindy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
                    now I did it, ... I left out "in high regard" so now all of you are wondering what the heck...lol

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • Grajek
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
                      Thats okay Mark. I was a land surveyor when I was young and worked out in
                      the woods a lot. This was about the time Fire Ants made it to Texas, I
                      remember when there were no fire ants in Austin. I started out as a rodman.
                      I was giving the eye-man a benchmark reading off an Oak tree when my legs
                      felt like they were on fire. The next thing I know the crew is doubled over
                      laughing and crying and I am standing buck naked trying to get the bastards
                      out of the most sensitive of areas. Man that sucked.

                      > Kevin is referring to the first time I learned about fire ants. The
                      > year was 1983, I was fresh off the boat, a compleat newbie to Texas.
                      > Before arriving here, I had worked a summer on the golf course in Idaho
                      > as a night shift irrigation worker. One of my duties besides watering
                      > all the grass was killing off any rodents that were eating up the golf
                      > course. In Idaho, mice would dig holes and leave little mounds of dirt
                      > around the hole, that's how you knew where to put the poison.
                      >
                      > So I get to Texas A&M, am required by state law to take a couple of
                      > mandatory physical education courses, so I take golf. We're out on the
                      > driving range one morning, and I see this mouse hole, with a huge
                      > telltale mound of dirt. So thinking nothing of it, I idly "tee up" the
                      > mound of dirt, giving it a huge thwhack with my pitching wedge, and
                      > sending dirt flying everywhere.
                      >
                      > I wondered why my fellow golf-students were jumping around and swatting
                      > like they were on fire, all the while calling me a "Dumb Aggie," and
                      > other less printable names. Yep, you guessed it, this was no mouse
                      > hole, it was a fire ant mound, and I had sprayed ants and dirt all over
                      > my fellow Ags.
                      >
                      > And thus an Idaho waterman learns about Texas fire ants.
                      >
                      > -mark
                      > aka "lowracer"
                      >
                      > On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 04:03 PM, L. Kevin D. wrote:
                      >

                      > > "I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints
                      > >> backward image and text.
                      > >>
                      > >> -mark
                      > >> aka "RECARWOL""
                      > >
                      > > Hey Mark,
                      > > Is that anything like hitting a fireant nest with a golf club? :)

                      > -mark

                    • Lou Catozzi
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
                        You are going to keep it right! All you have to do is stamp it on the
                        back side of the log page!

                        Lou

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Gessner
                        <mgessner@a...> wrote:
                        > Some key advice, after spending an hour meticulously carving a detailed
                        > and intricate design into a Staedtler/Mars drafting eraser, using a
                        > jeweler's loupe and a surgical-quality razor knife:
                        >
                        > Before cutting, draw the pattern on the eraser BACKWARDS!
                        >
                        > I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints a
                        > backward image and text.
                        >
                        > -mark
                        > aka "RECARWOL"
                      • L. Kevin D.
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
                          Well, I guess if Mark and Jeff can tell amusing ant stories; so can I.
                          Last Fri., I had just found the newly replaced "Swamp Romp" (GCGNDG).
                          Being
                          lazy and having learned to take advantage of available objects, I sat
                          down on a willow log to log my find. (It turned out to be rotten.)
                          At first, it started to collapse, so I scooted back a bit. As I was
                          opening the cache container, I happened to notice dozens of ants
                          crawling around on my shorts. I didn't think they were biting because
                          I felt no pain or discomfort. The next day, however, I noticed about
                          20 bites on each leg, and 5 or 6 around my waist. Does anybody know
                          if fireants live in rotten logs?

                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Grajek" <jgrajek@a...>
                          wrote:
                          > Thats okay Mark. I was a land surveyor when I was young and worked
                          out in
                          > the woods a lot. This was about the time Fire Ants made it to
                          Texas, I
                          > remember when there were no fire ants in Austin. I started out as a
                          rodman.
                          > I was giving the eye-man a benchmark reading off an Oak tree when my
                          legs
                          > felt like they were on fire. The next thing I know the crew is
                          doubled over
                          > laughing and crying and I am standing buck naked trying to get the
                          bastards
                          > out of the most sensitive of areas. Man that sucked.

                          Stamps

                          > > OK here come the Aggie jokes!
                          > >
                          > > Kevin is referring to the first time I learned about fire ants.
                          The
                          > > year was 1983, I was fresh off the boat, a compleat newbie to
                          Texas.
                          > > Before arriving here, I had worked a summer on the golf course in
                          Idaho
                          > > as a night shift irrigation worker. One of my duties besides
                          watering
                          > > all the grass was killing off any rodents that were eating up the
                          golf
                          > > course. In Idaho, mice would dig holes and leave little mounds of
                          dirt
                          > > around the hole, that's how you knew where to put the poison.
                          > >
                          > > So I get to Texas A&M, am required by state law to take a couple
                          of
                          > > mandatory physical education courses, so I take golf. We're out
                          on the
                          > > driving range one morning, and I see this mouse hole, with a huge
                          > > telltale mound of dirt. So thinking nothing of it, I idly "tee
                          up" the
                          > > mound of dirt, giving it a huge thwhack with my pitching wedge,
                          and
                          > > sending dirt flying everywhere.
                          > >
                          > > I wondered why my fellow golf-students were jumping around and
                          swatting
                          > > like they were on fire, all the while calling me a "Dumb Aggie,"
                          and
                          > > other less printable names. Yep, you guessed it, this was no
                          mouse
                          > > hole, it was a fire ant mound, and I had sprayed ants and dirt all
                          over
                          > > my fellow Ags.
                          > >
                          > > And thus an Idaho waterman learns about Texas fire ants.
                          > >
                          > > -mark
                          > > aka "lowracer"
                          > >
                          > > On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 04:03 PM, L. Kevin D. wrote:
                          > >

                          > > > "I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints

                          > > > Hey Mark,
                          > > > Is that anything like hitting a fireant nest with a golf
                          club? :)

                          > > > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or
                          Lexmark