Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] planning trip searches

  • Candy Lind
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2003
      Blank
      Here's what we've done. It takes some time, but has worked pretty well, in the absence of that program that Mark was talking about.

      • Plan your route, then pick out and look up zip codes for cities all along the route at http://www.usps.com/zip4/citytown_zip.htm. Do this for possible alternate routes as well ... you might see a little cluster of caches that are "off the beaten path" that suit your fancy and give you something new to look at.
      • Do queries on the "hide and seek" page using those zip codes but limiting them to, say, 25 miles. Optionally, use the pocket query page if you are a premium member and if you like the Mobipocket files with cache descriptions. This will allow you to also limit the types and difficulty as you prefer, and keeps you from having to save off the descriptions some other way.
      • Using whatever software you are used to, get all the waypoints into one file so you can see the visual "grouping" along your route (kinda like target practice!). From there, you can decide whether to eliminate any of them or just take the whole list. We took a list of over 300 with us on a trip from Austin to VA just north of Raleigh/Durham. We bagged something like 60, picking and choosing as we went and as time and weather permitted.
      • Use your preferred method to print or save the descriptions. CAUTION: it's really best, although probably not the most convenient, to do this as close to trip time as possible, because we all know the frustration of a description or set of coordinates changing without our knowing. The pocket queries are really great if you have a laptop or hand-held. Very handy.

      Hope this helps! Some of the computer wizards out there might have faster ways to collect the same info, but we had fun looking for what we wanted to do, as well as the cache hunts themselves!

      We're about to begin planning a trip to New England for October so if I think of any more good tips as I go, I'll post them.

      Happy Trails,
      Candy Lind    candylind@...
      I can quit any time ... really, I CAN!!
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
        Here's how I did it on my recent trip to Pittsburgh, which included a
        drive from "da burgh" up to Buffalo NY:

        1) log on to geocaching.com, do a search from pittsburgh (pick any zip
        within the city, say 15085), generate a 100 mile radius search, then
        download these waypoints using easyGPS. You can filter these searches
        so there's no virtuals, no level 5's etc., as you prefer.
        2) Find the next city (within 100 miles) along the intended route,
        which would be Sharon PA, input this zip code and do another 100 mile
        radius.
        3) find the next city, Erie PA, 100 mile radius, same thing.
        4) find next city, Buffalo NY, 100 mile radius, same deal.

        This gets the waypoints into the GPS, including overlap between the
        cities but downloading the overlap doesn't hurt, it just overwrites any
        duplicates. The 100 mile radius should cover any alternate routes,
        YMMV.

        This technique doesn't get any descriptions though. Navigate to the
        cache using just the waypoint, then if stumped, pull out the Samsung
        A500 SprintPCS phone and do a google search using the built-in web
        browser for the waypoint ID. This allows one to read the page and even
        decrypt the hint.

        On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 10:43 PM, Candy Lind wrote:

        > Here's what we've done. It takes some time, but has worked pretty
        > well, in the absence of that program that Mark was talking about.

      • Mark Gessner
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
          Some key advice, after spending an hour meticulously carving a detailed
          and intricate design into a Staedtler/Mars drafting eraser, using a
          jeweler's loupe and a surgical-quality razor knife:

          Before cutting, draw the pattern on the eraser BACKWARDS!

          I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints a
          backward image and text.

          -mark
          aka "RECARWOL"
        • Candy Lind
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
            <forcefully thwacking forehead with heel of hand> DOH! Sorry, Mark!

            Best suggestion I have is to carve the negative on the other side and think of it as a humorous and poignant reminder of a lesson learned!

            Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 6:55 AM
            Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Advice on Making Rubber Stamps

          • thediver@austin.rr.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
              The best suggestion I have is this website http://members.aol.com/Letterboxr/carving.html

              > <forcefully thwacking forehead with heel of hand> DOH! Sorry, Mark!
              >
              > Best suggestion I have is to carve the negative on the other side
              > and think of it as a humorous and poignant reminder of a lesson
              > learned!
              > Candy Lind candylind@...
              > "Hello, my name is Candy, I go by Moosiegirl, and I am a GEOCACHER."
              > I can quit any time ... really, I CAN!!
              > Geocaching worldwide: http://www.geocaching.com in Texas:
              > http://www.txga.net
              > in the Austin area:

            • L. Kevin D.
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
                "I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints
                > backward image and text.
                >
                > -mark
                > aka "RECARWOL""

                Hey Mark,
                Is that anything like hitting a fireant nest with a golf club? :)
              • Mark Gessner
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
                  OK here come the Aggie jokes!

                  Kevin is referring to the first time I learned about fire ants. The
                  year was 1983, I was fresh off the boat, a compleat newbie to Texas.
                  Before arriving here, I had worked a summer on the golf course in Idaho
                  as a night shift irrigation worker. One of my duties besides watering
                  all the grass was killing off any rodents that were eating up the golf
                  course. In Idaho, mice would dig holes and leave little mounds of dirt
                  around the hole, that's how you knew where to put the poison.

                  So I get to Texas A&M, am required by state law to take a couple of
                  mandatory physical education courses, so I take golf. We're out on the
                  driving range one morning, and I see this mouse hole, with a huge
                  telltale mound of dirt. So thinking nothing of it, I idly "tee up" the
                  mound of dirt, giving it a huge thwhack with my pitching wedge, and
                  sending dirt flying everywhere.

                  I wondered why my fellow golf-students were jumping around and swatting
                  like they were on fire, all the while calling me a "Dumb Aggie," and
                  other less printable names. Yep, you guessed it, this was no mouse
                  hole, it was a fire ant mound, and I had sprayed ants and dirt all over
                  my fellow Ags.

                  And thus an Idaho waterman learns about Texas fire ants.

                  -mark
                  aka "lowracer"

                  On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 04:03 PM, L. Kevin D. wrote:

                  > "I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints
                  >> backward image and text.
                  >>
                  >> -mark
                  >> aka "RECARWOL""
                  >
                  > Hey Mark,
                  > Is that anything like hitting a fireant nest with a golf club? :)

                  -mark
                • Cindy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
                    After all I have read, I  have held lowracer, and now he shows his other side, which shows that if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at(?). Although I did laugh at both of these posts, I appreciate your willingness to share your misadventures. I needed a good laugh today and a smile and you gave me both.

                    Cindy
                    aka Catalyst2003

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • Cindy
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
                      now I did it, ... I left out "in high regard" so now all of you are wondering what the heck...lol

                      Do you Yahoo!?
                    • Grajek
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
                        Thats okay Mark. I was a land surveyor when I was young and worked out in
                        the woods a lot. This was about the time Fire Ants made it to Texas, I
                        remember when there were no fire ants in Austin. I started out as a rodman.
                        I was giving the eye-man a benchmark reading off an Oak tree when my legs
                        felt like they were on fire. The next thing I know the crew is doubled over
                        laughing and crying and I am standing buck naked trying to get the bastards
                        out of the most sensitive of areas. Man that sucked.

                        > Kevin is referring to the first time I learned about fire ants. The
                        > year was 1983, I was fresh off the boat, a compleat newbie to Texas.
                        > Before arriving here, I had worked a summer on the golf course in Idaho
                        > as a night shift irrigation worker. One of my duties besides watering
                        > all the grass was killing off any rodents that were eating up the golf
                        > course. In Idaho, mice would dig holes and leave little mounds of dirt
                        > around the hole, that's how you knew where to put the poison.
                        >
                        > So I get to Texas A&M, am required by state law to take a couple of
                        > mandatory physical education courses, so I take golf. We're out on the
                        > driving range one morning, and I see this mouse hole, with a huge
                        > telltale mound of dirt. So thinking nothing of it, I idly "tee up" the
                        > mound of dirt, giving it a huge thwhack with my pitching wedge, and
                        > sending dirt flying everywhere.
                        >
                        > I wondered why my fellow golf-students were jumping around and swatting
                        > like they were on fire, all the while calling me a "Dumb Aggie," and
                        > other less printable names. Yep, you guessed it, this was no mouse
                        > hole, it was a fire ant mound, and I had sprayed ants and dirt all over
                        > my fellow Ags.
                        >
                        > And thus an Idaho waterman learns about Texas fire ants.
                        >
                        > -mark
                        > aka "lowracer"
                        >
                        > On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 04:03 PM, L. Kevin D. wrote:
                        >

                        > > "I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints
                        > >> backward image and text.
                        > >>
                        > >> -mark
                        > >> aka "RECARWOL""
                        > >
                        > > Hey Mark,
                        > > Is that anything like hitting a fireant nest with a golf club? :)

                        > -mark

                      • Lou Catozzi
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
                          You are going to keep it right! All you have to do is stamp it on the
                          back side of the log page!

                          Lou

                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Gessner
                          <mgessner@a...> wrote:
                          > Some key advice, after spending an hour meticulously carving a detailed
                          > and intricate design into a Staedtler/Mars drafting eraser, using a
                          > jeweler's loupe and a surgical-quality razor knife:
                          >
                          > Before cutting, draw the pattern on the eraser BACKWARDS!
                          >
                          > I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints a
                          > backward image and text.
                          >
                          > -mark
                          > aka "RECARWOL"
                        • L. Kevin D.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
                            Well, I guess if Mark and Jeff can tell amusing ant stories; so can I.
                            Last Fri., I had just found the newly replaced "Swamp Romp" (GCGNDG).
                            Being
                            lazy and having learned to take advantage of available objects, I sat
                            down on a willow log to log my find. (It turned out to be rotten.)
                            At first, it started to collapse, so I scooted back a bit. As I was
                            opening the cache container, I happened to notice dozens of ants
                            crawling around on my shorts. I didn't think they were biting because
                            I felt no pain or discomfort. The next day, however, I noticed about
                            20 bites on each leg, and 5 or 6 around my waist. Does anybody know
                            if fireants live in rotten logs?

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Grajek" <jgrajek@a...>
                            wrote:
                            > Thats okay Mark. I was a land surveyor when I was young and worked
                            out in
                            > the woods a lot. This was about the time Fire Ants made it to
                            Texas, I
                            > remember when there were no fire ants in Austin. I started out as a
                            rodman.
                            > I was giving the eye-man a benchmark reading off an Oak tree when my
                            legs
                            > felt like they were on fire. The next thing I know the crew is
                            doubled over
                            > laughing and crying and I am standing buck naked trying to get the
                            bastards
                            > out of the most sensitive of areas. Man that sucked.

                            Stamps

                            > > OK here come the Aggie jokes!
                            > >
                            > > Kevin is referring to the first time I learned about fire ants.
                            The
                            > > year was 1983, I was fresh off the boat, a compleat newbie to
                            Texas.
                            > > Before arriving here, I had worked a summer on the golf course in
                            Idaho
                            > > as a night shift irrigation worker. One of my duties besides
                            watering
                            > > all the grass was killing off any rodents that were eating up the
                            golf
                            > > course. In Idaho, mice would dig holes and leave little mounds of
                            dirt
                            > > around the hole, that's how you knew where to put the poison.
                            > >
                            > > So I get to Texas A&M, am required by state law to take a couple
                            of
                            > > mandatory physical education courses, so I take golf. We're out
                            on the
                            > > driving range one morning, and I see this mouse hole, with a huge
                            > > telltale mound of dirt. So thinking nothing of it, I idly "tee
                            up" the
                            > > mound of dirt, giving it a huge thwhack with my pitching wedge,
                            and
                            > > sending dirt flying everywhere.
                            > >
                            > > I wondered why my fellow golf-students were jumping around and
                            swatting
                            > > like they were on fire, all the while calling me a "Dumb Aggie,"
                            and
                            > > other less printable names. Yep, you guessed it, this was no
                            mouse
                            > > hole, it was a fire ant mound, and I had sprayed ants and dirt all
                            over
                            > > my fellow Ags.
                            > >
                            > > And thus an Idaho waterman learns about Texas fire ants.
                            > >
                            > > -mark
                            > > aka "lowracer"
                            > >
                            > > On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 04:03 PM, L. Kevin D. wrote:
                            > >

                            > > > "I now have a nice custom "lowracer" logbook stamp but it prints

                            > > > Hey Mark,
                            > > > Is that anything like hitting a fireant nest with a golf
                            club? :)

                            > > > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP, Epson, Canon or
                            Lexmark