planning trip searches?

  • Triple
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2003
      Blank
      We are planning on going to Georgia first week in Oct. and I would like to program my gps before we leave. We were wondering how others plan their trips and searches for caches before they got on the road? We are looking for Park and grabs and even some of those virtuals some people have complained about ;-) but don't want to stray to far from our route.

      Master Herdsman

    • LSR
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
        Blank

        I would suggest getting hold of a zip code finder to plot the course of travel and use the geocache.com or navicache.com find nearest cache by zip code.  Once you have selected your caches download those caches.   I like to set them up under the route format on the GPS using my home location as the starting waypoint this allows me to begin with the closes cache to my starting point.  I have a Rand McNally Zip Code Finder book or you might look up zip codes at your local post office.

        Luther S. RodeGeocaching is the game,

        Huggy Bear Fbg" is the name.

        http://www.texasgeocaching.com

        http://www.geocaching.com

        We are planning on going to Georgia first week in Oct. and I would like to program my gps before we leave. We were wondering how others plan their trips and searches for caches before they got on the road? We are looking for Park and grabs and even some of those virtuals some people have complained about ;-) but don't want to stray to far from our route.

        Master Herdsman

      • Bryan Swain
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
          Here's what I do... you might be able to use a similar approach depending on what software,etc you use.

          First I do a Pocket Query on GC.com to get a couple hundred caches in the area I will be visiting. Once I have that, I use Spinner to generate HTML pages for each cache that I can then load into my PDA. It also generates a modified gpx file that you can load directly into your GPS if you want. Then, I export all the waypoints from ExpertGPS in csv format. Finally, I import the csv file into Microsoft Streets & Trips as pushpins. Then you've got a map of the area you are in, with all the pushpins showing the caches. So you can use S&T to navigate from cache to cache, see what the closest ones are to you, etc. And once you get there, you have the cache page loaded in the PDA.

          Most of my travel lately has been for work, so I already have to bring a laptop and PDA, anyway. If I were travelling for vacation, I guess this approach might be overkill...

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Triple" <triple@i...> wrote:
          > BlankWe are planning on going to Georgia first week in Oct. and I would like to program my gps before we leave. We were wondering how others plan their trips and searches for caches before they got on the road? We are looking for Park and grabs and even some of those virtuals some people have complained about ;-) but don't want to stray to far from our route.
          >
          > Master Herdsman
        • Mark Gessner
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
            We already have programs on the web that take a start street address
            (or city), an end street address (or city), then draw you the fastest
            or shortest route between them. How difficult would it be to program
            something that took this output, translated the route into a list of
            lat/lon coordinate pairs, say one pair for each mile marker along the
            route, then allowed the user to find the caches within a user-specified
            distance adjacent to the route? Seems like this should be fairly easy
            to program. I have requested this feature from geocaching.com for the
            last two years. Instead we got some new icons. Please contact me
            directly if you have any idea how this can be implemented and put up on
            the web, and let's do it.

            -mark
            aka "lowracer"
          • Grajek
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
              This is do-able with the right software. ESRI make software that can
              probably do this. I have not used it but we have lying around up at the
              office.

              We already have programs on the web that take a start street address
              (or city), an end street address (or city), then draw you the fastest
              or shortest route between them. How difficult would it be to program
              something that took this output, translated the route into a list of
              lat/lon coordinate pairs, say one pair for each mile marker along the
              route, then allowed the user to find the caches within a user-specified
              distance adjacent to the route? Seems like this should be fairly easy
              to program. I have requested this feature from geocaching.com for the
              last two years. Instead we got some new icons. Please contact me
              directly if you have any idea how this can be implemented and put up on
              the web, and let's do it.

              -mark
              aka "lowracer"

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to