Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: GPS recommendations?

  • engelwaffen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 29, 2006
      Yah that sirF is no small wonder.  The Garmin V will still be sniffing out the FIRST satelite when I wake up the 60CSx and I'm at 10 feet radius right at wake up.   Garmin V is relegated to paperweight duty, got to hold down all those print out with the hints some how...ehh?

      cache on!!

      the amish postman

      P.S. Blizzard in place in the Texas panhandle.  Been told today a postmaster had waypointed his house on his 60CS and tried to walk to his postoffice in town 600 yards away across a pasture.  White out conditions at the time erased all landmarks and horizon as well.  He used his house waypoint to find his way back to his house.  GPS may have pulled his fat out of the fire

      I'll see if I can  find out who did this in the next few days.  I think I heard he is in southeastern Colorado.
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 28, 2006
        You trust a $500 GPS to FLOAT in a way that you could retrieve it if you dump a KAYAK in the ARTIC?????

        Valuable tip:  TETHER YOUR GPS TO THE KAYAK  and then it doesn't matter if it floats or not.

        You can ask Moosiegirl for a personal testimonial if you wish, but I've dumped a kayak or two and believe me, what isn't tied to the boat is generally GONE.

        Have fun!
        Julie
        On 12/28/06, John Menke <john@...> wrote:

        As this is going to be used for wilderness backpacking, the CSx is my
        preference. By wilderness, I mean the specific locations of Gates of
        The Arctic National Park and the Noatak River Wilderness Preserve. The
        Garmin site shows equally good specs for water-resistance for both the
        60 and 76 models, but the floating feature may be something I want for
        the kayaking portion of a trip I have planned.

        Nick Silkey wrote:
        > The 76-series are 'waterproof'. As Julie mentioned, theyre made for
        > marine folk. Drop it overboard, and it should float to the water's
        > surface and not retain any water.
        >
        > Apart from that, theres negligible differences between the two except
        > the look and feel. I love my 60CS in the car and on the trail. And
        > the SiRF in the X-series apparently is the new hotness.
        >
        > I would highly recommend the 60CSx. Or you could look into a
        > second-hand but babied 60CS for cheap (lots of folks upgrading from
        > the CS to the CSx). Check craigslist or the Garage Sale forums on GC.
        >
        > On 12/27/06, John Menke < john@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Hey everyone,
        >>
        >> I am looking to purchase a new GPS for use on backpacking trips. I am
        >> specifically looking at Garmin units, as they take AA batteries, which
        >> are easy to recharge in remote areas using portable solar panels, and
        >> are interchangable with various other devices.
        >>
        >> The two models I am looking at are the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx and the
        >> Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx. The only difference I see between these two units
        >> is a slight difference in dimensions and weight. It looks like all the
        >> other features are exactly the same, including all the preloaded
        >> software in memory and display size, as well as the 76CSx having the
        >> ability to float in water. Does anyone know any practical differences
        >> between the two?
        >>
        >> Thanks,
        >> John
        >> aka NcongruNt
        >>

        >> Yahoo! Groups Links
        >>

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Candy Lind
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 29, 2006

          Oh, yes, of course you have to tie everything down, especially in moving water; but if I'd had my 'druthers, I would have gone to a 76CS instead of another 60CS when I lost mine in the river. At least then, if I make the mistake of not tying it down, I have a CHANCE of finding it. It also has/had twice as much memory as the 60 (which of course doesn't matter in the x series units, because you can put whatever size card you want in them). Go for the 76CSx, John! And put an alarm on it, because I'll be watching for your guard to be down! >:):D:"> I have a bad case of SirF envy ...

          Candy

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Perrine" <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:

          > You trust a $500 GPS to FLOAT in a way that you could retrieve it if you
          > dump a KAYAK in the ARTIC?????
          >
          > Valuable tip: TETHER YOUR GPS TO THE KAYAK and then it doesn't matter if
          > it floats or not.
          >
          > You can ask Moosiegirl for a personal testimonial if you wish, but I've
          > dumped a kayak or two and believe me, what isn't tied to the boat is
          > generally GONE.

        • John Menke
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 29, 2006
            Well, considering the Noatak is a very slow-moving river (like 3mph),
            with no real rapids to speak of... I think it would be a nice feature,
            yes. I don't plan on testing it, but in case the need for flotation
            arises, the 76 seems preferable.

          • maliabarth
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 29, 2006
              We got the 76cx in July, and have really enjoyed it. The accuracy
              and reception inside is amazing!

              Malia