Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: What's going to happen if they decide to pick up their toys and go home?

  • David Gahagan
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
      We'll see what the GeoDORKS have to say....
      http://opentopic.groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383
      &m=4260928345&r=3560928345#3560928345

      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
        I don't know the details or background of what is
        being spoken about here.....but I can tell you that I
        don't like having 4 caches in one park. I like 1
        (maybe 2 if the park is large enough) per park/area.
        So, if the only rule that is being enforced is one
        that limits how close caches can be, then what's the
        problem? Are people hooked on trying to make it a
        competition on how many caches they find (therefore,
        many caches close together is benificial in some
        strange way...makes those 'find' numbers grow
        quicker)?

        I placed my 2 caches about 10 months ago and had no
        problems.

        What kind of rules are Jeremy and his minions
        inforcing?

        Posting just a "Texas" geocaching site is not the
        answer. The good part about a central location for
        all caches is that when you travel, you can find
        caches in the area traveled to with ease. If every
        state/city/county had their own site, it would be a
        nightmare.

        The solution is to let the people that are lessening
        your enjoyment of the game know this. Let them know
        what they are doing wrong. When enough people tell
        them, they will change. Otherwise, fewer people will
        play the game on the geocaching site, it (the site)
        will die, and a new one will start somewhere else.

        How long has thie discontent been brewing in the
        geocaching ranks?

        --- David Gahagan <david@...> wrote:
        > Mark, et al.... I too am growing tired of Jeremy and
        > his little minions
        > telling me how to play my game. Jeremy did a good
        > job and was fair in cache
        > placements, these little pinheads he has helping him
        > don't have a clue what
        > they are doing. If I want to post a cache on the
        > roof of my house (granted
        > it meets the non-commercial rules, etc...) then I
        > should be able to do it.
        > Who cares if there is another cache 25ft, 50ft,
        > 200ft or even 2000ft away.

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • David Gahagan
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
          Mine has been brewing for months. I think if you will look at this groups
          log, Dan posted something back in early summer. I have archives from
          September where Dan posted problems as well.

          The problems encountered are across the spectrum, from caches that are too
          close together to "by looking at a map, that doesn't look like a good cache
          spot.

          If they want to better manage the cache placement process, then get reliable
          people in each area to volunteer to verify cache placement and location
          before final approval.

          The biggest problem I see with their rules is that a) they can't actually
          verify the cache location, b) the wording used in creating the cache
          placement page is critical to getting approval, and c) anyone can get a
          cache posted with a little effort (changing location, description, etc...
          after approval)

        • Eoghan <eoghan@sharawadgi.com>
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
            > How long has thie discontent been brewing in the
            > geocaching ranks?

            The issue has been hot since the very beginning (about two and a half
            years ago). The first person to suggest the idea of a GPS Stash and
            the first to hide one (Dave Ulmer) quit geocaching early on, in large
            part because of the debate over a centralized vs. decentralized
            approach to cache listings.

            (He also had strong reservations about the environmental effects of
            the sport and was vocal about his disagreements with geocaching.com.
            For a while the geocaching.com site gave a brief history of the sport
            saying that a 'gentleman' in Washington placed the first cache, but
            now apparently to avoid the question of WHICH gentleman, the brief
            history paragraph has been completely removed from the site. I'm not
            sure why else the history of the sport would be deemed unworthy of a
            place on the FAQ.)

            The debate has also been a central sticking point between the
            groundspeak team and Ed Hall, the creator of the BEST geocaching maps
            (at Buxley's Geocaching Waypoint, http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/)

            The pro's and con's have been endlessly debated on every forum I've
            seen. If anyone wants to find out what each side has to say they can,
            with a little work, dig it out of:
            the groundspeak forums
            (http://opentopic.groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic),
            the old groundspeak forums archive
            (not all posts migrated to the new forums, not sure how to get to
            these anymore),
            the archive of the usenet group alt.rec.geocaching,
            the original email list "Global Positioning Stash Hunt" archives
            (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gpsstash/),
            the Navicache forums
            (http://navicache.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi),
            or the Geocaching Worldwide Forums
            (http://www.geocachingworldwide.com/forum.asp)

            Questions about centralized vs. decentralized, open source vs.
            proprietary, single owner vs. organization, cache ownership vs. cache
            stewardship, responsibilities of cache owners and listers,
            cohesiveness of the data set vs. stale data sets, longevity of data
            in the hands of a single entity, the legal status of databases,
            oversight of listings vs. unrestricted listings, single contact point
            for land agencies vs. multiple groups, etc., et al, ad nauseum are
            all there.

            Those who've decided that they don't want anything do do with
            geocaching.com but still enjoy geocaching have typically gone to
            alt.rec.geocaching to discuss the sport, and post their caches to one
            of the alternate listing sites. By doing so their caches still end up
            on Buxley's maps and are available to most cachers.

            My opinions on the issues would probably quadruple (at least) the
            length of this post so I'll just stick a sock in it and keep them to
            myself for now.

            Glad this conversation is still alive.

            Cache on!,
            -Eoghan
          • Daniel McGauley
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
              My problem with the geocaching guys is that I have a copy of the cache
              hiding rules and I follow them when I place a cache, but I still get
              them rejected. My rejections have been for a variety of reasons. One
              was because the virtual cache was too easy to find because part of the
              name was on topographical maps. Two more were from virtual caches where
              they said I had no way of proving a person went to a cache or not even
              though I have a custom CGI script that verifies this. The final one was
              because it was too close to another cache. I know of all the caches in
              Austin and I know my cache was close to another cache, but it wasn't
              close enough to cause confusion. I was very tactful with the geocaching
              admins, but they were rather rude. I finally tried putting pressure on
              them by telling them to either post the cache or I'm not paying an
              annual support fee like I have every year the sport has been around.
              They told me the rules are the rules, which was funny since this wasn't
              in the RULES! I don't like dealing with idiots, and their actions were
              very idiotic, so until I hear the sport is changing for the better I'm
              going to find a new hobby.

              I don't think most people have problems with the geocaching guys though
              because they hide normal sized caches. I like hiding virtual caches
              because they take people to neat places in Austin. I hid the bullet
              hole cache at U.T., a couple of movie caches that take you to places
              where famous movies have been shot, the focault pendulum cache on 35,
              and several others. I was told by the geocache admins that until I can
              PROVE that someone went to those sites, I can't post them any more. I'm
              sure most of you have used my auto-logging system. I think that's proof
              enough, but they wanted more. I suggested they build virtual-checking
              into their site, and they said they might in the future, so until then
              I'm not going to spend the energy hiding stuff only to cross my fingers
              that they'll post it.

              It's a fun sport, and I enjoyed playing it, but whenever politics get
              involved I usually get out.

              -Daniel

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                That's very interesting since there is no way 'prove'
                someone was at ANY cache. The mere scribbling of some
                notes in a log book does not prove you were there.
                Someone could have taken the log book to you & then
                returned it after you signed it. I think the whole
                "can't post a cache until you can prove someone was
                there" is totaly bogus. There are no prizes for
                finding a cache. I could go to geocaching.com right
                now and log 1,000 finds and nobody could prove that I
                wasn't there.

                I'm going to keep my eyes open on this issue. This is
                very disturbing & does not point to a bright future
                for this hobby.

                --- Daniel McGauley <hawkeye@...>

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • David Gahagan
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                  Dan, could you post your experiences to the thread I started at
                  Geocaching.com.

                  Maybe Jeremy will find my thread and provide some input.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                    I don't mind posting it there David, but I've talked directly with
                    Jeremy (via email), and he's the one who told me all of this, so I
                    didn't really have many more places in which to complain. Just for your
                    information "erik88l-r" (Erik) is the one who has cancelled all my
                    recent caches. So, if yours gets cancelled by him don't be surprised.

                    What's sad is that they came up with posting rules to follow and I've
                    followed all of them, but the caches were still cancelled. I asked
                    Jeremy for the location where proximity is listed in the posting rules
                    and he responded on my cache page with "This cache will not be approved.
                    It is entirely too close to an existing cache" and that's it. After
                    threatening to not support the sport any more and being as tactful as
                    possible, this was a giant middle-finger to me and fellow cachers, so my
                    only recourse was to stop the sport entirely. That's worked well for me
                    because now I don't have to deal with these immature people. If they
                    came up with better guidelines and adjusted their page slightly to
                    support "proof" of virtual cache finds that would be one thing, but to
                    pay $30+ per year for very few features and then to have horrible
                    customer service, I'll treat them like any other bad business and take
                    my business elsewhere .. like the arcade. I really liked the sport
                    though, and I still subscribe to this mailing list because I made some
                    good friends caching and this is the best way to keep in touch with them
                    since I'm not running into them on the 'field' any more.

                    I hope things change in the future for the sport, but it's unlikely.

                    -Dan

                  • GPS Dude
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                      Actually, there IS a way to prove that people have been to a webcam
                      cache, or at least my webcam caches because I make people post an image
                      of themselves doing something silly (and they all seem to enjoy
                      that....go figure). I realize that webcams are an exception to the
                      "prove it" rule.

                      However, on the topic of the maximum number of caches in a park, I think
                      everyone would agree it totally depends on the size of the park. Take
                      the Austin Barton Creek Greenbelt, I think there are around 10 caches in
                      there and it could easily hold a few more. Personally, I like being
                      able to park my car in one place and then hike for 3-5 hours to find a
                      series of caches. Although I have done my share of park...find URP in
                      20 minutes, get back in car and drive to another park, find URP, etc...
                      I still prefer more caches in the parks in general. I'm not concerned
                      too much with my number of finds as I am in having a wide diversity of
                      GOOD caches.

                      I'm not against virtuals either, as I have hidden some and found many,
                      but I do get a bit tired of "what is the last word on named Historical
                      plaque". Actually, the geocaching.com website says "although many
                      locations are interesting, a virtual cache should be out of the ordinary
                      enough to warrant logging a visit". Now everyone can interpret that
                      statement how they want to but I read "out of the ordinary" as things
                      you don't just find everywhere (like historical plaques). Although I
                      enjoy history, I'd rather not visit every historical plaque in Austin.
                      Don't get me wrong, I have done some of Daniel's virtuals and really
                      loved them (I attended UT and never could find that bullet hole until
                      Daniel's virtual came along).

                      I guess what I'm trying to say is that they may be scrutinizing virtuals
                      more than regular caches because of the proliferation of historical
                      plaque type virtuals.

                      Scott Robuck
                      Team GeoDillo

                      "Trying is the first step towards failure."
                      -- Homer Simpson
                    • David Gahagan
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                        What do you mean Erik cancelled all your recent caches? Ones that you
                        places or ones that you claimed to find?

                        Well if you have talked to Jeremy, then so be it. I moving in the direction
                        of your boat at this point. These tools have made the site, and thus the
                        sport nothing but a political quagmire of unlisted rules, regulations and
                        pie in the sky dreams of how they want the sport to work.

                        In the words of Homer Simpson, they can "cram it with walnuts".

                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                          I've never had a 'find' cancelled, only 'hides.' I know they are only
                          doing it to try to make the sport better in their eyes, but when one of
                          their original cachers with a high-find count who pays dues every year
                          asks for an audience with the pope and gets brushed off, I realize this
                          sport isn't for me.

                          -Daniel

                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                            Based on the replies for my post at geocaching.com it sounds as though we
                            are in the minority. Most of those people can't think outside the box, so
                            anything out of the ordinary is foreign and thus against the rules.

                            What fools to eliminate so many wonderful places with such stupid rules.
                            They haven't even thought about those who may be physically disabled and
                            enjoy this sport. Tragic is the best word I can find to explain it.

                            See you on a trail in the future, maybe.

                            Looks like I'll have more time for homebrewing beer again..... :-) I guess
                            it isn't all bad!

                            Later
                            FireCacher

                            > I've never had a 'find' cancelled, only 'hides.' I know they are only
                            > doing it to try to make the sport better in their eyes, but when one of
                            > their original cachers with a high-find count who pays dues every year
                            > asks for an audience with the pope and gets brushed off, I realize this
                            > sport isn't for me.
                            >
                            > -Daniel

                          • The Diver
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                              Mark,

                              What were the reasons for "The Cheerful Dead" being rejected? Based on
                              the so called "guidelines", I don't see why it should be rejected?

                              alan
                              aka The Diver

                              On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 08:11, Mark Gessner wrote:
                              > I've been thinking about geocaching.com lately. I've had a perfectly
                              > legitimate virtual cache (GCB841, "The Cheerful Dead") on hold for a
                              > week while trying to convince the 'approver' that it is legitimate.
                              >
                              > Brings me to the subject point: what happens when the owners of
                              > geocaching.com decide to pick up their toys and go home? Seems like
                              > the whole game is played on their board with their pieces, by their
                              > rules, at their whim.
                              >
                              > I guess I'm wondering if there is some way to make this game 'open
                              > source.' Instead of a central geocaching.com site, have a more
                              > peer-to-peer arrangement with the cache pages spread out over many
                              > unrelated servers with perhaps a search engine or yahoo-like portal
                              > helping to tie them together.
                              >
                              > I would be a sad camper indeed if they ever shut down geocaching.com
                              > (on purpose or by accident). Anyone backing up their cache pages to a
                              > local machine?
                              >
                              > Could we recover if the powers that be got bored of geocaching.com and
                              > shut 'er down?
                              >
                              > -mark
                              > aka lowracer

                            • Mark Gessner
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 31, 2002
                                The secret guidelines now include:

                                1) I (the approver) personally don't like virtuals.
                                2) If you can at all possible place a small container with a logbook,
                                do so, because (see #1).
                                3) This just isn't unique enough, even though I (the approver) have
                                never even seen the place
                                4) The rules for virtuals are changing, we (the approving class) are
                                approving less of them because (see #1).
                                5) I (the approver) am letting this go to my head, I have the power, my
                                game: "Neener neener neener."

                                From now on all my caches are starting out as 50 cal ammo boxes with a
                                logbook inside, hidden in a state park. Immediately after approval,
                                some may secretly turn into virtuals and the coordinates may change
                                --well... more than a little bit. :-)

                                -mark
                                aka lowracer

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 1, 2003
                                  Well then, I guess that I must be weird or something because I actually
                                  like virtuals. So I guess if your virtual is associated with a
                                  historical marker, then you must attach a magnetic box on the back for a
                                  log book? To me, virtuals are just points of interest. Take for instance
                                  my virtual, GCA946 - Golden-cheeked Warbler, I could really care less
                                  that someone emailed the answers or even emailed the correct answers. To
                                  me, it's just a POI and I hope they enjoyed the location.

                                  alan

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 1, 2003
                                    Posted this yesterday but it never showed up in my email box, only
                                    the archives, so I'm resending it since it seems to have gotten lost
                                    somewhere on the way to distribution.

                                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Eoghan <eoghan@s...>"

                                  • Will Nienke <nienke@nienke.com>
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 6, 2003
                                      Hi,
                                      As a newbie geocaching.com admin, I can tell you that there is no
                                      specific bias, posted or not, against virtuals.

                                      Hang in there folks! Its not as bad as it seems, and it IS just a
                                      game! :-)

                                      9Key

                                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, The Diver

                                    • David Gahagan
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 7, 2003
                                        Will, glad to see you're on board and I know you'll always be fair. The
                                        problem seems centered around one paticular admin and virtual caches. If
                                        you've been on this list long, or have read the archives, you know who I'm
                                        talking about. Quite frankly, I would like to see him gone for good. In my
                                        opinion, he brings nothing to the sport. I'll be over at navicache and
                                        austinexplorer's site from now on. I got nothing for my "Charter
                                        Membership" but grief and a few poorly constructed features.

                                        FireCacher