RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Projecting Waypoints With CacheMate

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
      And a 100th of a mile would be plus/minus 53 feet.  Not very helpful when the offset is on the order of 200 feet . . .

      Now, if there is a toggle, I'll bake you some more cookies! <G>

      Russ the waterweasel

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
        That's the way it is for the meridian series as well.

        Penny

        I don't know if the other models work the same way or not, but here's
        how to do it on a Sportrak Color:

        From the position screen, press the menu button, then just toggle
        down to "projection" and it will bring up the screen where you enter
        distance and bearing.

        Brent

        --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Jack Glantzberg"
        <hglantzberg@ ...> wrote:

        > Anyone know how to do this on a Magellan?
        >
        > --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Perrine, Julie"
        > <julie.perrine@ > wrote:
        > >
        > > Ok, here's the low-tech solution for when you're already out in
        the
        > > woods and don't have anything but your GPS to project a
        waypoint. My
        > > problem has always been that I do this so infrequently that I
        can't
        > > remember how to do it when I want to.
        > >

        > > I finally figured out the key. You MUST be in the waypoint
        screen to
        > > start the process. For Garmin, that means you're at the flagman
        screen
        > > (ETREX) or the Waypoint screen (60CS-types) . From there, you
        just hit
        > > the menu button and it walks you through it. You can toggle
        between
        > > miles and feet (you'll want FEET generally!)
        > >

        > > I can't tell you how long I've searched through menus looking for
        the
        > > "project waypoint" item without finding it because I didn't start
        at the
        > > flagman or waypoint screen. But it's so easy when you know where
        > > start!
        > >

        > > Julie
        > >
        > > Mrs. Captain Picard
        > >

        > > ____________ _________ _________ __

        Silkey
        > > Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 11:11 AM
        > > To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
        > > Subject: Re: [CentralTexasGeocac hers] Projecting Waypoints With
        > > CacheMate
        > >

        > > My favorite utility for projection, geocalc, was written by forum
        > > big-timer fizzymagic. It does projection and much more. Love it.
        > >
        > > Google "fizzymagic geocalc" sans quotes. Do yourself a favor and
        dump
        > > it somewhere in your path. For the lazy, save to
        c:\windows\system32 .
        > > A simple "Windows key + R -> geocalc -> Enter" fires it right up.
        > > Every second counts when racing Paul ... ;)
        > >
        > > On 12/1/06, semperquestio <sq@ <mailto:sq%40tsqtx. com> > wrote:
        > > > Just a little something I thought I'd share for any new folks
        out
        > > > there. This kinda came up the the GS forums.
        > > >
        > > > Most folks know that jsut about every GPS out there has waypoint
        > > > projection capabilities. My experience has been that they are
        often
        > > > difficult to use, not all that flexible, and often yield less
        than
        > > > stellar results.
        > > >
        > > > Instead of that, I use the projection tool in CacheMate on my
        Palm
        > > > device. It has proven to be very accurate every time I've used
        it and
        > > > it offers a high level of flexibility while, at the same time,
        being
        > > > very simple to use.
        > > >
        > > > To use it, just select a cache in CacheMate, then tap on the
        > > > "CacheMate" tab at the upper left to access the menus. Then tap
        > > > "Calc" and then "Project Waypoint".
        > > >
        > > > That gives you a small window with only two data entry fields,
        a pull
        > > > down menu, and 2 "buttons" (OK or CANCEL). In the first field
        enter
        > > > your bearing in degrees. In the next field enter your distance.
        From
        > > > the pull-down menu, select your distance unit of measure. When
        that
        > > > is done, click OK.
        > > >
        > > > CacheMate will then create a new cache record complete with a
        name,
        > > > the name of the cache it was projected from, a waypoint ID, the
        new
        > > > coords, and the projection data used. As with any cache record,
        all
        > > > of this data can be edited however you wish. Also, the original
        cache
        > > > record and the new projected cache record are automatically
        bookmarked
        > > > for you.
        > > >
        > > > Hope this helps someone.
        > > >
        > > > Happy caching!
        > > > SQ
        > > >

        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • semperquestio
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
          Bookmakrs in CM work like IE bookmarks.

          If you are on the cache list, get to the menu and tap on "Srch". If
          you are on a cache page, just pull up the menu (it starts at the right
          place - the "Record" tab). Then look for "Bookmarks...". You can
          also get there using the lower left to upper right strok followed by
          the letter "L".

          That will bring up your bookmarked waypoints. Then you can tap on the
          one you want and go right to it.

          Sometimes, if I know what caches I'm going for, I'll bookmark my
          targeted caches so I can get right to them rather than scroll through
          the 500+ I keep on hand.

          SQ

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent" <brbapb@...> wrote:

          > Pretty cool, I didn't know it would do this. Now, may I ask what the
          > definition of a bookmark is in this context? In other words, how are
          > they used in Cachemate?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Brent
          >
          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "semperquestio"
          > <sq@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Just a little something I thought I'd share for any new folks out
          > > there. This kinda came up the the GS forums.
          > >
          > > Most folks know that jsut about every GPS out there has waypoint
          > > projection capabilities. My experience has been that they are often
          > > difficult to use, not all that flexible, and often yield less than
          > > stellar results.
          > >
          > > Instead of that, I use the projection tool in CacheMate on my Palm
          > > device. It has proven to be very accurate every time I've used it
          > and
          > > it offers a high level of flexibility while, at the same time, being
          > > very simple to use.
          > >
          > > To use it, just select a cache in CacheMate, then tap on the
          > > "CacheMate" tab at the upper left to access the menus. Then tap
          > > "Calc" and then "Project Waypoint".
          > >
          > > That gives you a small window with only two data entry fields, a
          > pull
          > > down menu, and 2 "buttons" (OK or CANCEL). In the first field enter
          > > your bearing in degrees. In the next field enter your distance.
          > From
          > > the pull-down menu, select your distance unit of measure. When
          > that
          > > is done, click OK.
          > >
          > > CacheMate will then create a new cache record complete with a name,
          > > the name of the cache it was projected from, a waypoint ID, the new
          > > coords, and the projection data used. As with any cache record, all
          > > of this data can be edited however you wish. Also, the original
          > cache
          > > record and the new projected cache record are automatically
          > bookmarked
          > > for you.
          > >
          > > Hope this helps someone.
          > >
          > > Happy caching!