Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Projecting Waypoints With CacheMate

  • uecker
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
      On the Magellan, it starts out in miles, so you just put in something like .1 and then it automatically switches to feet once you hit enter. Then it displays it as 528 feet and then you can edit it to the actual feet you want.
      Perseid88
      Phil

      From: Russ Jernigan <waterweasel@...>
      Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 13:51:35 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
      To:CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Projecting Waypoints With CacheMate

      If there is a toggle between miles and feet on an Etrex Vista, I sure haven't found it.  And since most of our offsets aren't in miles . . . . :-(

      Russ the waterweasel

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
        And a 100th of a mile would be plus/minus 53 feet.  Not very helpful when the offset is on the order of 200 feet . . .

        Now, if there is a toggle, I'll bake you some more cookies! <G>

        Russ the waterweasel

        Use the calculator in your ETREX to convert to 100ths of a mile if you can’t toggle back and forth.  There are 5,280 feet in a mile.

        My Vista is out on loan, so I can’t confirm the toggle thing right now.

        Julie

[...]

        size=2 width="100%" align=center tabIndex=-1>

        On 12/1/06, semperquestio <sq@...> wrote:
        > Just a little something I thought I'd share for any new folks out
        > there. This kinda came up the the GS forums.
        >
        > Most folks know that jsut about every GPS out there has waypoint
        > projection capabilities. My experience has been that they are often
        > difficult to use, not all that flexible, and often yield less than
        > stellar results.
        >
        > Instead of that, I use the projection tool in CacheMate on my Palm
        > device. It has proven to be very accurate every time I've used it and
        > it offers a high level of flexibility while, at the same time, being
        > very simple to use.
        >
        > To use it, just select a cache in CacheMate, then tap on the
        > "CacheMate" tab at the upper left to access the menus. Then tap
        > "Calc" and then "Project Waypoint".
        >
        > That gives you a small window with only two data entry fields, a pull
        > down menu, and 2 "buttons" (OK or CANCEL). In the first field enter
        > your bearing in degrees. In the next field enter your distance. From
        > the pull-down menu, select your distance unit of measure. When that
        > is done, click OK.
        >
        > CacheMate will then create a new cache record complete with a name,
        > the name of the cache it was projected from, a waypoint ID, the new
        > coords, and the projection data used. As with any cache record, all
        > of this data can be edited however you wish. Also, the original cache
        > record and the new projected cache record are automatically bookmarked
        > for you.
        >
        > Hope this helps someone.
        >
        > Happy caching!
        > SQ
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Chris, Penny, Logan, Liahm, Xena, Gabrie
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
          That's the way it is for the meridian series as well.

          Penny

          I don't know if the other models work the same way or not, but here's
          how to do it on a Sportrak Color:

          From the position screen, press the menu button, then just toggle
          down to "projection" and it will bring up the screen where you enter
          distance and bearing.

          Brent

          --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Jack Glantzberg"
          <hglantzberg@ ...> wrote:

          > Anyone know how to do this on a Magellan?
          >
          > --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Perrine, Julie"
          > <julie.perrine@ > wrote:
          > >
          > > Ok, here's the low-tech solution for when you're already out in
          the
          > > woods and don't have anything but your GPS to project a
          waypoint. My
          > > problem has always been that I do this so infrequently that I
          can't
          > > remember how to do it when I want to.
          > >

          > > I finally figured out the key. You MUST be in the waypoint
          screen to
          > > start the process. For Garmin, that means you're at the flagman
          screen
          > > (ETREX) or the Waypoint screen (60CS-types) . From there, you
          just hit
          > > the menu button and it walks you through it. You can toggle
          between
          > > miles and feet (you'll want FEET generally!)
          > >

          > > I can't tell you how long I've searched through menus looking for
          the
          > > "project waypoint" item without finding it because I didn't start
          at the
          > > flagman or waypoint screen. But it's so easy when you know where
          > > start!
          > >

          > > Julie
          > >
          > > Mrs. Captain Picard
          > >

          > > ____________ _________ _________ __

          Silkey
          > > Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 11:11 AM
          > > To: CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com
          > > Subject: Re: [CentralTexasGeocac hers] Projecting Waypoints With
          > > CacheMate
          > >

          > > My favorite utility for projection, geocalc, was written by forum
          > > big-timer fizzymagic. It does projection and much more. Love it.
          > >
          > > Google "fizzymagic geocalc" sans quotes. Do yourself a favor and
          dump
          > > it somewhere in your path. For the lazy, save to
          c:\windows\system32 .
          > > A simple "Windows key + R -> geocalc -> Enter" fires it right up.
          > > Every second counts when racing Paul ... ;)
          > >
          > > On 12/1/06, semperquestio <sq@ <mailto:sq%40tsqtx. com> > wrote:
          > > > Just a little something I thought I'd share for any new folks
          out
          > > > there. This kinda came up the the GS forums.
          > > >
          > > > Most folks know that jsut about every GPS out there has waypoint
          > > > projection capabilities. My experience has been that they are
          often
          > > > difficult to use, not all that flexible, and often yield less
          than
          > > > stellar results.
          > > >
          > > > Instead of that, I use the projection tool in CacheMate on my
          Palm
          > > > device. It has proven to be very accurate every time I've used
          it and
          > > > it offers a high level of flexibility while, at the same time,
          being
          > > > very simple to use.
          > > >
          > > > To use it, just select a cache in CacheMate, then tap on the
          > > > "CacheMate" tab at the upper left to access the menus. Then tap
          > > > "Calc" and then "Project Waypoint".
          > > >
          > > > That gives you a small window with only two data entry fields,
          a pull
          > > > down menu, and 2 "buttons" (OK or CANCEL). In the first field
          enter
          > > > your bearing in degrees. In the next field enter your distance.
          From
          > > > the pull-down menu, select your distance unit of measure. When
          that
          > > > is done, click OK.
          > > >
          > > > CacheMate will then create a new cache record complete with a
          name,
          > > > the name of the cache it was projected from, a waypoint ID, the
          new
          > > > coords, and the projection data used. As with any cache record,
          all
          > > > of this data can be edited however you wish. Also, the original
          cache
          > > > record and the new projected cache record are automatically
          bookmarked
          > > > for you.
          > > >
          > > > Hope this helps someone.
          > > >
          > > > Happy caching!
          > > > SQ
          > > >

          > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • semperquestio
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
            Bookmakrs in CM work like IE bookmarks.

            If you are on the cache list, get to the menu and tap on "Srch". If
            you are on a cache page, just pull up the menu (it starts at the right
            place - the "Record" tab). Then look for "Bookmarks...". You can
            also get there using the lower left to upper right strok followed by
            the letter "L".

            That will bring up your bookmarked waypoints. Then you can tap on the
            one you want and go right to it.

            Sometimes, if I know what caches I'm going for, I'll bookmark my
            targeted caches so I can get right to them rather than scroll through
            the 500+ I keep on hand.

            SQ

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent" <brbapb@...> wrote:

            > Pretty cool, I didn't know it would do this. Now, may I ask what the
            > definition of a bookmark is in this context? In other words, how are
            > they used in Cachemate?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Brent
            >
            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "semperquestio"
            > <sq@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Just a little something I thought I'd share for any new folks out
            > > there. This kinda came up the the GS forums.
            > >
            > > Most folks know that jsut about every GPS out there has waypoint
            > > projection capabilities. My experience has been that they are often
            > > difficult to use, not all that flexible, and often yield less than
            > > stellar results.
            > >
            > > Instead of that, I use the projection tool in CacheMate on my Palm
            > > device. It has proven to be very accurate every time I've used it
            > and
            > > it offers a high level of flexibility while, at the same time, being
            > > very simple to use.
            > >
            > > To use it, just select a cache in CacheMate, then tap on the
            > > "CacheMate" tab at the upper left to access the menus. Then tap
            > > "Calc" and then "Project Waypoint".
            > >
            > > That gives you a small window with only two data entry fields, a
            > pull
            > > down menu, and 2 "buttons" (OK or CANCEL). In the first field enter
            > > your bearing in degrees. In the next field enter your distance.
            > From
            > > the pull-down menu, select your distance unit of measure. When
            > that
            > > is done, click OK.
            > >
            > > CacheMate will then create a new cache record complete with a name,
            > > the name of the cache it was projected from, a waypoint ID, the new
            > > coords, and the projection data used. As with any cache record, all
            > > of this data can be edited however you wish. Also, the original
            > cache
            > > record and the new projected cache record are automatically
            > bookmarked
            > > for you.
            > >
            > > Hope this helps someone.
            > >
            > > Happy caching!