Projecting Waypoints With CacheMate

  • semperquestio
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1 7:31 AM
      Just a little something I thought I'd share for any new folks out
      there. This kinda came up the the GS forums.

      Most folks know that jsut about every GPS out there has waypoint
      projection capabilities. My experience has been that they are often
      difficult to use, not all that flexible, and often yield less than
      stellar results.

      Instead of that, I use the projection tool in CacheMate on my Palm
      device. It has proven to be very accurate every time I've used it and
      it offers a high level of flexibility while, at the same time, being
      very simple to use.

      To use it, just select a cache in CacheMate, then tap on the
      "CacheMate" tab at the upper left to access the menus. Then tap
      "Calc" and then "Project Waypoint".

      That gives you a small window with only two data entry fields, a pull
      down menu, and 2 "buttons" (OK or CANCEL). In the first field enter
      your bearing in degrees. In the next field enter your distance. From
      the pull-down menu, select your distance unit of measure. When that
      is done, click OK.

      CacheMate will then create a new cache record complete with a name,
      the name of the cache it was projected from, a waypoint ID, the new
      coords, and the projection data used. As with any cache record, all
      of this data can be edited however you wish. Also, the original cache
      record and the new projected cache record are automatically bookmarked
      for you.

      Hope this helps someone.

      Happy caching!
      SQ
    • Nick Silkey
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1 9:10 AM
        My favorite utility for projection, geocalc, was written by forum
        big-timer fizzymagic. It does projection and much more. Love it.

        Google "fizzymagic geocalc" sans quotes. Do yourself a favor and dump
        it somewhere in your path. For the lazy, save to c:\windows\system32.
        A simple "Windows key + R -> geocalc -> Enter" fires it right up.
        Every second counts when racing Paul ... ;)

        On 12/1/06, semperquestio <sq@...> wrote:
        > Just a little something I thought I'd share for any new folks out
        > there. This kinda came up the the GS forums.
        >
        > Most folks know that jsut about every GPS out there has waypoint
        > projection capabilities. My experience has been that they are often
        > difficult to use, not all that flexible, and often yield less than
        > stellar results.
        >
        > Instead of that, I use the projection tool in CacheMate on my Palm
        > device. It has proven to be very accurate every time I've used it and
        > it offers a high level of flexibility while, at the same time, being
        > very simple to use.
        >
        > To use it, just select a cache in CacheMate, then tap on the
        > "CacheMate" tab at the upper left to access the menus. Then tap
        > "Calc" and then "Project Waypoint".
        >
        > That gives you a small window with only two data entry fields, a pull
        > down menu, and 2 "buttons" (OK or CANCEL). In the first field enter
        > your bearing in degrees. In the next field enter your distance. From
        > the pull-down menu, select your distance unit of measure. When that
        > is done, click OK.
        >
        > CacheMate will then create a new cache record complete with a name,
        > the name of the cache it was projected from, a waypoint ID, the new
        > coords, and the projection data used. As with any cache record, all
        > of this data can be edited however you wish. Also, the original cache
        > record and the new projected cache record are automatically bookmarked
        > for you.
        >
        > Hope this helps someone.
        >
        > Happy caching!
        > SQ
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Perrine, Julie
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1 9:30 AM

          Ok, here’s the low-tech solution for when you’re already out in the woods and don’t have anything but your GPS to project a waypoint.  My problem has always been that I do this so infrequently that I can’t remember how to do it when I want to.

          I finally figured out the key.  You MUST be in the waypoint screen to start the process.  For Garmin, that means you’re at the flagman screen (ETREX) or the Waypoint screen (60CS-types).  From there, you just hit the menu button and it walks you through it.  You can toggle between miles and feet (you’ll want FEET generally!)

          I can’t tell you how long I’ve searched through menus looking for the “project waypoint” item without finding it because I didn’t start at the flagman or waypoint screen.  But it’s so easy when you know where to start!

          My favorite utility for projection, geocalc, was written by forum
          big-timer fizzymagic. It does projection and much more. Love it.

          Google "fizzymagic geocalc" sans quotes. Do yourself a favor and dump
          it somewhere in your path. For the lazy, save to c:\windows\system32 .
          A simple "Windows key + R -> geocalc -> Enter" fires it right up.
          Every second counts when racing Paul ... ;)

          On 12/1/06, semperquestio <sq@...> wrote:

          > Just a little something I thought I'd share for any new folks out
          > there. This kinda came up the the GS forums.
          >
          > Most folks know that jsut about every GPS out there has waypoint
          > projection capabilities. My experience has been that they are often
          > difficult to use, not all that flexible, and often yield less than
          > stellar results.
          >
          > Instead of that, I use the projection tool in CacheMate on my Palm
          > device. It has proven to be very accurate every time I've used it and
          > it offers a high level of flexibility while, at the same time, being
          > very simple to use.
          >
          > To use it, just select a cache in CacheMate, then tap on the
          > "CacheMate" tab at the upper left to access the menus. Then tap
          > "Calc" and then "Project Waypoint".
          >
          > That gives you a small window with only two data entry fields, a pull
          > down menu, and 2 "buttons" (OK or CANCEL). In the first field
          enter
          > your bearing in degrees. In the next field enter your distance. From
          > the pull-down menu, select your distance unit of measure. When that
          > is done, click OK.
          >
          > CacheMate will then create a new cache record complete with a name,
          > the name of the cache it was projected from, a waypoint ID, the new
          > coords, and the projection data used. As with any cache record, all
          > of this data can be edited however you wish. Also, the original cache
          > record and the new projected cache record are automatically bookmarked
          > for you.
          >
          > Hope this helps someone.
          >
          > Happy caching!
          > SQ
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jack Glantzberg
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1 10:11 AM
            Anyone know how to do this on a Magellan?

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Perrine, Julie"
            <julie.perrine@...> wrote:

            > Ok, here's the low-tech solution for when you're already out in the
            > woods and don't have anything but your GPS to project a waypoint. My
            > problem has always been that I do this so infrequently that I can't
            > remember how to do it when I want to.
            >

            > I finally figured out the key. You MUST be in the waypoint screen to
            > start the process. For Garmin, that means you're at the flagman screen
            > (ETREX) or the Waypoint screen (60CS-types). From there, you just hit
            > the menu button and it walks you through it. You can toggle between
            > miles and feet (you'll want FEET generally!)
            >

            > I can't tell you how long I've searched through menus looking for the
            > "project waypoint" item without finding it because I didn't start at the
            > flagman or waypoint screen. But it's so easy when you know where to
            > start!
            >

            > Julie
            >
            > Mrs. Captain Picard
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Brent
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 1 11:14 AM
              I don't know if the other models work the same way or not, but here's
              how to do it on a Sportrak Color:

              From the position screen, press the menu button, then just toggle
              down to "projection" and it will bring up the screen where you enter
              distance and bearing.

              Brent

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Glantzberg"
              <hglantzberg@...> wrote:

              > Anyone know how to do this on a Magellan?
              >
              > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Perrine, Julie"
              > <julie.perrine@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Ok, here's the low-tech solution for when you're already out in
              the
              > > woods and don't have anything but your GPS to project a
              waypoint. My
              > > problem has always been that I do this so infrequently that I
              can't
              > > remember how to do it when I want to.
              > >

              > > I finally figured out the key. You MUST be in the waypoint
              screen to
              > > start the process. For Garmin, that means you're at the flagman
              screen
              > > (ETREX) or the Waypoint screen (60CS-types). From there, you
              just hit
              > > the menu button and it walks you through it. You can toggle
              between
              > > miles and feet (you'll want FEET generally!)
              > >

              > > I can't tell you how long I've searched through menus looking for
              the
              > > "project waypoint" item without finding it because I didn't start
              at the
              > > flagman or waypoint screen. But it's so easy when you know where
              > > start!
              > >

              > > Julie
              > >
              > > Mrs. Captain Picard
              > >

              > > ________________________________

            • Brent
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 1 11:26 AM
                Pretty cool, I didn't know it would do this. Now, may I ask what the
                definition of a bookmark is in this context? In other words, how are
                they used in Cachemate?

                Thanks,

                Brent

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "semperquestio"
                <sq@...> wrote:

                > Just a little something I thought I'd share for any new folks out
                > there. This kinda came up the the GS forums.
                >
                > Most folks know that jsut about every GPS out there has waypoint
                > projection capabilities. My experience has been that they are often
                > difficult to use, not all that flexible, and often yield less than
                > stellar results.
                >
                > Instead of that, I use the projection tool in CacheMate on my Palm
                > device. It has proven to be very accurate every time I've used it
                and
                > it offers a high level of flexibility while, at the same time, being
                > very simple to use.
                >
                > To use it, just select a cache in CacheMate, then tap on the
                > "CacheMate" tab at the upper left to access the menus. Then tap
                > "Calc" and then "Project Waypoint".
                >
                > That gives you a small window with only two data entry fields, a
                pull
                > down menu, and 2 "buttons" (OK or CANCEL). In the first field enter
                > your bearing in degrees. In the next field enter your distance.
                From
                > the pull-down menu, select your distance unit of measure. When
                that
                > is done, click OK.
                >
                > CacheMate will then create a new cache record complete with a name,
                > the name of the cache it was projected from, a waypoint ID, the new
                > coords, and the projection data used. As with any cache record, all
                > of this data can be edited however you wish. Also, the original
                cache
                > record and the new projected cache record are automatically
                bookmarked
                > for you.
                >
                > Hope this helps someone.
                >
                > Happy caching!
                > SQ

              • uecker
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 1 11:34 AM
                  On a Magellan Meridian, from the "position" screen (the screen that shows the coordinate numers you are at) hit MENU, PROJECTION, etc. You can then project from your current location or any waypoint.
                  Perseid88
                  Phil

                  From: "Brent" <brbapb@...>
                  Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:14:52
                  To:CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Projecting Waypoints With CacheMate

                  I don't know if the other models work the same way or not, but here's
                  how to do it on a Sportrak Color:

                  From the position screen, press the menu button, then just toggle

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 1 11:51 AM
                    If there is a toggle between miles and feet on an Etrex Vista, I sure haven't found it.  And since most of our offsets aren't in miles . . . . :-(

                    Russ the waterweasel

                    Ok, here’s the low-tech solution for when you’re already out in the woods and don’t have anything but your GPS to project a waypoint.  My problem has always been that I do this so infrequently that I can’t remember how to do it when I want to.

                    I finally figured out the key.  You MUST be in the waypoint screen to start the process.  For Garmin, that means you’re at the flagman screen (ETREX) or the Waypoint screen (60CS-types) .  From there, you just hit the menu button and it walks you through it.  You can toggle between miles and feet (you’ll want FEET generally!)

                    I can’t tell you how long I’ve searched through menus looking for the “project waypoint” item without finding it because I didn’t start at the flagman or waypoint screen.  But it’s so easy when you know where to start!

                    My favorite utility for projection, geocalc, was written by forum
                    big-timer fizzymagic. It does projection and much more. Love it.

                    Google "fizzymagic geocalc" sans quotes. Do yourself a favor and dump
                    it somewhere in your path. For the lazy, save to c:\windows\system32 .
                    A simple "Windows key + R -> geocalc -> Enter" fires it right up.
                    Every second counts when racing Paul ... ;)

                    On 12/1/06, semperquestio <sq@...> wrote:
                    > Just a little something I thought I'd share for any new folks out
                    > there. This kinda came up the the GS forums.
                    >
                    > Most folks know that jsut about every GPS out there has waypoint
                    > projection capabilities. My experience has been that they are often
                    > difficult to use, not all that flexible, and often yield less than
                    > stellar results.
                    >
                    > Instead of that, I use the projection tool in CacheMate on my Palm
                    > device. It has proven to be very accurate every time I've used it and
                    > it offers a high level of flexibility while, at the same time, being
                    > very simple to use.
                    >
                    > To use it, just select a cache in CacheMate, then tap on the
                    > "CacheMate" tab at the upper left to access the menus. Then tap
                    > "Calc" and then "Project Waypoint".
                    >
                    > That gives you a small window with only two data entry fields, a pull
                    > down menu, and 2 "buttons" (OK or CANCEL). In the first field enter
                    > your bearing in degrees. In the next field enter your distance. From
                    > the pull-down menu, select your distance unit of measure. When that
                    > is done, click OK.
                    >
                    > CacheMate will then create a new cache record complete with a name,
                    > the name of the cache it was projected from, a waypoint ID, the new
                    > coords, and the projection data used. As with any cache record, all
                    > of this data can be edited however you wish. Also, the original cache
                    > record and the new projected cache record are automatically bookmarked
                    > for you.
                    >
                    > Hope this helps someone.
                    >
                    > Happy caching!
                    > SQ
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Perrine, Julie
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 1 12:29 PM

                      Use the calculator in your ETREX to convert to 100ths of a mile if you can’t toggle back and forth.  There are 5,280 feet in a mile.

                      My Vista is out on loan, so I can’t confirm the toggle thing right now.

                      Julie

[...]

                      size=2 width="100%" align=center tabIndex=-1>

                      My favorite utility for projection, geocalc, was written by forum
                      big-timer fizzymagic. It does projection and much more. Love it.

                      Google "fizzymagic geocalc" sans quotes. Do yourself a favor and dump
                      it somewhere in your path. For the lazy, save to c:\windows\system32 .
                      A simple "Windows key + R -> geocalc -> Enter" fires it right up.
                      Every second counts when racing Paul ... ;)

                      On 12/1/06, semperquestio <sq@...> wrote:
                      > Just a little something I thought I'd share for any new folks out
                      > there. This kinda came up the the GS forums.
                      >
                      > Most folks know that jsut about every GPS out there has waypoint
                      > projection capabilities. My experience has been that they are often
                      > difficult to use, not all that flexible, and often yield less than
                      > stellar results.
                      >
                      > Instead of that, I use the projection tool in CacheMate on my Palm
                      > device. It has proven to be very accurate every time I've used it and
                      > it offers a high level of flexibility while, at the same time, being
                      > very simple to use.
                      >
                      > To use it, just select a cache in CacheMate, then tap on the
                      > "CacheMate" tab at the upper left to access the menus. Then tap
                      > "Calc" and then "Project Waypoint".
                      >
                      > That gives you a small window with only two data entry fields, a pull
                      > down menu, and 2 "buttons" (OK or CANCEL). In the first field enter
                      > your bearing in degrees. In the next field enter your distance. From
                      > the pull-down menu, select your distance unit of measure. When that
                      > is done, click OK.
                      >
                      > CacheMate will then create a new cache record complete with a name,
                      > the name of the cache it was projected from, a waypoint ID, the new
                      > coords, and the projection data used. As with any cache record, all
                      > of this data can be edited however you wish. Also, the original cache
                      > record and the new projected cache record are automatically bookmarked
                      > for you.
                      >
                      > Hope this helps someone.
                      >
                      > Happy caching!
                      > SQ
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • uecker
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 1 12:33 PM
                        On the Magellan, it starts out in miles, so you just put in something like .1 and then it automatically switches to feet once you hit enter. Then it displays it as 528 feet and then you can edit it to the actual feet you want.
                        Perseid88
                        Phil

                        From: Russ Jernigan <waterweasel@...>
                        Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 13:51:35 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
                        To:CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com

                        ----------------

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 1 1:05 PM
                          And a 100th of a mile would be plus/minus 53 feet.  Not very helpful when the offset is on the order of 200 feet . . .

                          Now, if there is a toggle, I'll bake you some more cookies! <G>

                          Russ the waterweasel

                          Use the calculator in your ETREX to convert to 100ths of a mile if you can’t toggle back and forth.  There are 5,280 feet in a mile.

                          My Vista is out on loan, so I can’t confirm the toggle thing right now.

                          Julie

                          If there is a toggle between miles and feet on an Etrex Vista, I sure haven't found it.  And since most of our offsets aren't in miles . . . . :-(

                          Russ the waterweasel

                          My favorite utility for projection, geocalc, was written by forum
                          big-timer fizzymagic. It does projection and much more. Love it.

                          Google "fizzymagic geocalc" sans quotes. Do yourself a favor and dump
                          it somewhere in your path. For the lazy, save to c:\windows\system32 .
                          A simple "Windows key + R -> geocalc -> Enter" fires it right up.
                          Every second counts when racing Paul ... ;)

                          On 12/1/06, semperquestio <sq@...> wrote:
                          > Just a little something I thought I'd share for any new folks out
                          > there. This kinda came up the the GS forums.
                          >
                          > Most folks know that jsut about every GPS out there has waypoint
                          > projection capabilities. My experience has been that they are often
                          > difficult to use, not all that flexible, and often yield less than
                          > stellar results.
                          >
                          > Instead of that, I use the projection tool in CacheMate on my Palm
                          > device. It has proven to be very accurate every time I've used it and
                          > it offers a high level of flexibility while, at the same time, being
                          > very simple to use.
                          >
                          > To use it, just select a cache in CacheMate, then tap on the
                          > "CacheMate" tab at the upper left to access the menus. Then tap
                          > "Calc" and then "Project Waypoint".
                          >
                          > That gives you a small window with only two data entry fields, a pull
                          > down menu, and 2 "buttons" (OK or CANCEL). In the first field enter
                          > your bearing in degrees. In the next field enter your distance. From
                          > the pull-down menu, select your distance unit of measure. When that
                          > is done, click OK.
                          >
                          > CacheMate will then create a new cache record complete with a name,
                          > the name of the cache it was projected from, a waypoint ID, the new
                          > coords, and the projection data used. As with any cache record, all
                          > of this data can be edited however you wish. Also, the original cache
                          > record and the new projected cache record are automatically bookmarked
                          > for you.
                          >
                          > Hope this helps someone.
                          >
                          > Happy caching!
                          > SQ
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Chris, Penny, Logan, Liahm, Xena, Gabrie
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 1 1:30 PM
                            That's the way it is for the meridian series as well.

                            Penny

                            I don't know if the other models work the same way or not, but here's
                            how to do it on a Sportrak Color:

                            From the position screen, press the menu button, then just toggle

                            <hglantzberg@ ...> wrote:

                            > Anyone know how to do this on a Magellan?
                            >
                            > --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Perrine, Julie"
                            > <julie.perrine@ > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Ok, here's the low-tech solution for when you're already out in
                            the
                            > > woods and don't have anything but your GPS to project a
                            waypoint. My
                            > > problem has always been that I do this so infrequently that I
                            can't
                            > > remember how to do it when I want to.
                            > >

                            > > I finally figured out the key. You MUST be in the waypoint
                            screen to
                            > > start the process. For Garmin, that means you're at the flagman
                            screen
                            > > (ETREX) or the Waypoint screen (60CS-types) . From there, you
                            just hit
                            > > the menu button and it walks you through it. You can toggle
                            between
                            > > miles and feet (you'll want FEET generally!)
                            > >

                            > > I can't tell you how long I've searched through menus looking for
                            the
                            > > "project waypoint" item without finding it because I didn't start
                            at the
                            > > flagman or waypoint screen. But it's so easy when you know where
                            > > start!
                            > >

                            > > Julie
                            > >
                            > > Mrs. Captain Picard
                            > >

                            > > ____________ _________ _________ __

                          • semperquestio
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 1 3:12 PM
                              Bookmakrs in CM work like IE bookmarks.

                              If you are on the cache list, get to the menu and tap on "Srch". If
                              you are on a cache page, just pull up the menu (it starts at the right
                              place - the "Record" tab). Then look for "Bookmarks...". You can
                              also get there using the lower left to upper right strok followed by
                              the letter "L".

                              That will bring up your bookmarked waypoints. Then you can tap on the
                              one you want and go right to it.

                              Sometimes, if I know what caches I'm going for, I'll bookmark my
                              targeted caches so I can get right to them rather than scroll through
                              the 500+ I keep on hand.

                              SQ

                              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent" <brbapb@...> wrote:

                              > Pretty cool, I didn't know it would do this. Now, may I ask what the
                              > definition of a bookmark is in this context? In other words, how are
                              > they used in Cachemate?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              >
                              > Brent
                              >
                              > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "semperquestio"
                              > <sq@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Just a little something I thought I'd share for any new folks out
                              > > there. This kinda came up the the GS forums.
                              > >
                              > > Most folks know that jsut about every GPS out there has waypoint
                              > > projection capabilities. My experience has been that they are often
                              > > difficult to use, not all that flexible, and often yield less than
                              > > stellar results.
                              > >
                              > > Instead of that, I use the projection tool in CacheMate on my Palm
                              > > device. It has proven to be very accurate every time I've used it
                              > and
                              > > it offers a high level of flexibility while, at the same time, being
                              > > very simple to use.
                              > >
                              > > To use it, just select a cache in CacheMate, then tap on the
                              > > "CacheMate" tab at the upper left to access the menus. Then tap
                              > > "Calc" and then "Project Waypoint".
                              > >
                              > > That gives you a small window with only two data entry fields, a
                              > pull
                              > > down menu, and 2 "buttons" (OK or CANCEL). In the first field enter
                              > > your bearing in degrees. In the next field enter your distance.
                              > From
                              > > the pull-down menu, select your distance unit of measure. When
                              > that
                              > > is done, click OK.
                              > >
                              > > CacheMate will then create a new cache record complete with a name,
                              > > the name of the cache it was projected from, a waypoint ID, the new
                              > > coords, and the projection data used. As with any cache record, all
                              > > of this data can be edited however you wish. Also, the original
                              > cache
                              > > record and the new projected cache record are automatically
                              > bookmarked
                              > > for you.
                              > >
                              > > Hope this helps someone.
                              > >
                              > > Happy caching!