RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Lifeline "Etiquette"

  • Perrine, Julie
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006

      Moosiegirl is the local “Hotline”.  Her number is six 32-6206.  She’s a full-time cacher, so she’s generally available during reasonable waking hours and is happy to help.

      For anyone else who you have a number for, I’d generally assume reasonable waking hours also.  Paul doesn’t seem to sleep, so he’s fair game 24 hours.

      If you’ve already left the cache site, most cachers are glad to give you help by email, too.

      I will say that there are some cachers who don’t believe in hints or helping someone who’s stuck, and that’s fine.  You’ll quickly learn who those people are and who is open to helping.

      My philosophy about lifelines is that the community of cachers is one of the great things about geocaching.  The fact that we HAVE friends to phone is a cool thing, and I don’t hesitate to phone my friends whenever I’m stumped, someplace I don’t care to linger, or just impatient.  I’m totally OVER making repeat visits so I can have the thrill of finding it myself.  The thrill of kicking myself for being a dufus after my lifeline guides me to the cache that was right in front of my face is sufficient!  That’s just me.

      There are lots of people who don’t mind giving their phone numbers out and helping, but it helps to have met or emailed before you call them.  The Christmas Party would be a great place to meet people and get phone numbers.  See you there?

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
        Speaking of the hotline.  Could somebody poke Moosiegirl and tell her something for us?

        It's time to thaw the brisket!!!!

        She asked for a reminder one week before the Christmas event.  It is officially 7 days away!  I better get busy!!
        Thanks for doing this Candy!

        Penny
        cpnowak

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
          I sent Jason my phone number yesterday and am always willing to
          help out on any cache I have found or with any puzzle that I have
          solved. Email me offline for my cell number and provide yours, so
          I can add you to my address book. I don't normally answer the phone
          for numbers not already in my address book ;)

          -paul
          HiDude_98

        • Criselda Miller