Re: Waymarking

  • semperquestio
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 28, 2006
      Did I miss something? From what I've seen, everyone has talked about
      not liking how the waymarking site and concept in general is set up,
      not about having separate numbers.

      Yeah, I'd like to see virtuals come back, but it's mainly because I
      like the gc.com set-up and features. I also like 1-stop-shopping.
      There are plenty of caches on gc.com so there is no need for me to go
      to waymarking or any other site to get more targets to go after,
      especially if I don't like how the other site(s) work.

      SQ

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry" <bcwatson@...>
      wrote:

      > So no one does virtuals because you have to keep two sets of
      > numbers? WWAAAHHHHH!!!! I thought geocaching wasn't about the
      > numbers but was about the places you got to see and the sometimes
      > the journey there... If I'm wrong, someone explain it to me...
      >
      > Barry
      > (Can't wait to find the oven in (out in the middle of nowhere) Big
      > Bend....)
      >
      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
      > <rtyoungster@> wrote:
      > >
      > > There is no joy for me in Waymarking by GC.com. On the other hand,
      > > Terracaching still does Virtuals the old fashioned way but no one
      > > plays there.
      > > Sigh, virtuals have met there demise.
      > >

      > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <geocaching@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Looked at it a few times and found the system to be completely
      > > > useless, unhelpful and non-intuitive. Nothing like the virtuals
      > it was
      > > > supposed to replace.
      > > >
      > > > Holds no interest for me :-(
      > > >
      > > > Mike
      > > >
      > > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Perrine, Julie"

    • semperquestio
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 28, 2006
        Sorry, Barry. Hard to detect sarcasm on forums! Shoulda finished
        reading the thread. :( My apologies.

        wrote:

        > Lol... I know Julie...
        > Just spouting the geocaching rhetoric that the majority seems to
        > always quote in their emails... Sorry, I just have such a
        > sarcastic streak in me....
        > ;-)
        > Barry
        >
        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Perrine, Julie"
        > <julie.perrine@> wrote:
        > >
        > > People should do whatever they enjoy doing.
        > >

        > > Julie
        > >
        > > Mrs. Captain Picard

        > > ________________________________

      • Barry
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 28, 2006
          I totally agree! Groundspeak has added some very nice features on
          gs.com, but taking away virtuals was a big mistake in my book....

          Doc Geo

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "semperquestio"
          <sq@...> wrote:

          > Did I miss something? From what I've seen, everyone has talked
          about
          > not liking how the waymarking site and concept in general is set
          up,
          > not about having separate numbers.
          >
          > Yeah, I'd like to see virtuals come back, but it's mainly because I
          > like the gc.com set-up and features. I also like 1-stop-shopping.
          > There are plenty of caches on gc.com so there is no need for me to
          go
          > to waymarking or any other site to get more targets to go after,
          > especially if I don't like how the other site(s) work.
          >
          > SQ
          >

          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry" <bcwatson@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > So no one does virtuals because you have to keep two sets of
          > > numbers? WWAAAHHHHH!!!! I thought geocaching wasn't about the
          > > numbers but was about the places you got to see and the
          sometimes
          > > the journey there... If I'm wrong, someone explain it to me...
          > >
          > > Barry
          > > (Can't wait to find the oven in (out in the middle of nowhere)
          Big
          > > Bend....)
          > >
          > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
          > > <rtyoungster@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > There is no joy for me in Waymarking by GC.com. On the other
          hand,
          > > > Terracaching still does Virtuals the old fashioned way but no
          one
          > > > plays there.
          > > > Sigh, virtuals have met there demise.
          > > >

          > > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike"
          <geocaching@>

          > > it was

          Julie"

        • Janet Christian
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 28, 2006
            I so agree. I thoroughly enjoyed the virtual caching we did in Big Bend. And I have an awesome location I'd like to add.

            Anyone who's going to Big Bend let me know and I'll give you the coordinates to a location that includes an unpublished pictograph and some small "bubble-shaped" rocks that look like that planet scene in GalaxyQuest.

            <sq@...> wrote:

            > Did I miss something? From what I've seen, everyone has talked
            about
            > not liking how the waymarking site and concept in general is set
            up,
            > not about having separate numbers.
            >
            > Yeah, I'd like to see virtuals come back, but it's mainly because I
            > like the gc.com set-up and features. I also like 1-stop-shopping.
            > There are plenty of caches on gc.com so there is no need for me to
            go
            > to waymarking or any other site to get more targets to go after,
            > especially if I don't like how the other site(s) work.
            >
            > SQ
            >

            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry" <bcwatson@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > So no one does virtuals because you have to keep two sets of
            > > numbers? WWAAAHHHHH!!!! I thought geocaching wasn't about the
            > > numbers but was about the places you got to see and the
            sometimes
            > > the journey there... If I'm wrong, someone explain it to me...
            > >
            > > Barry
            > > (Can't wait to find the oven in (out in the middle of nowhere)
            Big
            > > Bend....)
            > >
            > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
            > > <rtyoungster@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > There is no joy for me in Waymarking by GC.com. On the other
            hand,
            > > > Terracaching still does Virtuals the old fashioned way but no
            one
            > > > plays there.
            > > > Sigh, virtuals have met there demise.
            > > >

            > > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike"
            <geocaching@>

            > > it was

            Julie"

          • Barry Watson
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 28, 2006
              Message
              sorry,  saw your name and rylekyle's on the first two I looked at and just
              assumed that if you were both on the first two that I looked at, then you'd
              probably be on the next ones too....  tee hee....  I ass-umed.....

              apologies....

              Barry
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 28, 2006
                Message
                The problem I had today is I left my Outlook running at home when I went to work this morning.
                I have it set up to remove my emails from the server when I download them at home.  But I also
                read my emails at work.  It seems that I wasn't receiving all the emails at work so I was replying to emails
                sort of out of order.    It's not about the numbers but about the fact that my list of "finds" would exist in
                 two places now if I started doing virtuals again.  At the very least, they could have each site query
                put both sets of information on the same page of your profile....

                But I agree with the concept.  Don't like it at all and the if they wanted geocachers to use the new
                site, then they should have strived to make the user interface as similar as possible at least.

                Barry

                wrote:

                > So no one does virtuals because you have to keep two sets of
                > numbers? WWAAAHHHHH!! !! I thought geocaching wasn't about the
                > numbers but was about the places you got to see and the sometimes
                > the journey there... If I'm wrong, someone explain it to me...
                >
                > Barry
                > (Can't wait to find the oven in (out in the middle of nowhere) Big
                > Bend....)
                >
                > --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Dick Young"
                > <rtyoungster@ > wrote:
                > >
                > > There is no joy for me in Waymarking by GC.com. On the other hand,
                > > Terracaching still does Virtuals the old fashioned way but no one
                > > plays there.
                > > Sigh, virtuals have met there demise.
                > >

                > > --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Mike" <geocaching@ >
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Looked at it a few times and found the system to be completely
                > > > useless, unhelpful and non-intuitive. Nothing like the virtuals
                > it was
                > > > supposed to replace.
                > > >
                > > > Holds no interest for me :-(
                > > >
                > > > Mike
                > > >
                > > > --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Perrine, Julie"

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 28, 2006
                  I think somebody said it earlier in the thread; to me the fun about
                  Virtual Caches is the surprise factor. You don't know exactly what it
                  is until you get there. (OK - sometimes you have an idea) The best
                  Virtuals come as a great surprise. It might be an unexpected vista, it
                  might be an unusual object, it might be a normal object in an unusual
                  location; but, whatever it is, you don't know for sure until you get
                  there.

                  That surprise factor is completely missing from Waymarking. The site
                  tells you go to a set of coordinates to see a fountain, and just to
                  make sure you don't get surprised there's a photo of it in the
                  listing! When you get there, guess what, there's a fountain just like
                  the photo...

                  That has zero interest to me - it's just vicarious sightseeing and has
                  nothing to do with a hunt or a surprise, the two key elements of
                  Geocaching.
                • Barry Watson
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 28, 2006
                    Message
                    Good point, but isn't that the fault of the placing the virtual?
                    Doesn't the owner of that waymark get to design the page and
                    decide how much information to give about the nature of the
                    waymark?  (God I hate saying waymark....)

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                      On 11/28/06, Barry Watson <bcwatson@...> wrote:

                      > The problem I had today is I left my Outlook running at home when I went to work this morning

                      God bless IMAP; death to POP. Look into it, Barry. Youll never have
                      that problem again.
                    • Barry Watson
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 29, 2006
                        Message