Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Cache advice - for experienced geoachers?

  • Chris, Penny, Logan, Liahm, Xena, Gabrie
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2006
      Aldy,
      If it was my cache, I would count it as a find.  But I do believe it is up to the cache owner.

      I have been asked (very recently) to change a found log to a note since I couldn't sign the log.  There was no physical way to get to the container because it had fallen down into a permanent structure.  But because we found the spot, saw what we needed to see and saw the technique that was used to hide the cache (which failed) we felt we had accomplished the main objective of geocaching.  We informed the owner of the situation and he wanted us to come back some other time to sign the log once the container had been replaced.  How far is Georgetown from Spring Branch????  That's quite a trek just to put my name in a log.  It won't be happening.

      Think about this scenario.  Are you sure that was the cache?  I have a cache where there is a decoy up in a tree in a public place.  Just spotting the decoy is not enough.  You have to climb up there and open it up and realize you've worked way too hard.  Then you have to climb down and find the real cache.

      Of course, here comes the disclaimer, that's just my opinion and I'm sure that everybody has a different take on your situation.

      Good Luck!
      Penny
      cpnowak

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2006
        Message
        If you need a ladder, then that's special equipment required and should be a difficulty of 5.
        If it requires you to climb on a headstone to reach, then I would complain to geocaching.com
        I, myself, would not log a cache that I didn't sign the log for... that's just me.  I know other
        geocachers have different views than me about how far (or not) they will go to get a smiley.
        That's up to them and it's up to you.  There was a discussion here some time ago about
        the topic of numbers.  I think the general concensus is that it is an individual yardstick of
        one's own progress and that it is not a good way to compare what you do with others since
        they may have different personal rules on when it's ok or not to claim a smiley.

        My best advice?  Don't claim it.  One smiley doesn't make a whole bunch of difference in
        any way.  And when you look back at the 1,000 smiley mark, you'll have a sense of
        satisfaction knowing that each smiley was one where you laid hands on and or signed the log.
        Remember, it's the journey and, of course, the destination... the fun of geocaching is most
        definitely NOT all about the smileys....

        Barry (Doc Geo)

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 2, 2006

          Hi Sylvlie,
          This is my own opinion.  I'm short and often run into this situation.

          I have come to the opinion that if I think I can get it down, but maybe not be able to get back up, that the owner would probably appreciate it if I just left it up there where it is.

          Your situation is kind of similar, but you have some moral objections to your location. Actually, I'm sure I know which cache you are talking about.  Lots of people have objections to that one!

          I would log a find, be honest about not having your signature in it (either in your log in in an email offline), and then let the cache owner decide if he will allow the find to stand or not.  In the end, its always up to the owner.

          I actually LOST someone's little pico cache trying to get it back up where it was supposed to be in the dark, and since then, I've decided its better to spot it and log it than log it and lose it!

          On 10/1/06, Sylvie <hanessacm@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Mary Beth Booth
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2, 2006
            Sylvie-

            I just found a cache that I couldn't reach (behind a fence that was chest-high on me and tied to a tree branch about 2 feet behind the fence). I claimed the smiley and the STF (second to find) because I DID find the cache. It's not my fault that I am 5'4" (on a good day!) with stubby little arms. I looked for a rock to stand on & I tried to retrieve it with a stick (all to no avail). So I logged the smiley & emailed the owner Mike (Lignumaqua) about the situation. Of course, Mike is such a great guy, he not only allowed me to keep the smiley, he moved the cache as he didn't want to be a "heightist" (his word not mine, but I love it), and signed my name in the log for me. So my advice is to claim the smiley & then contact the owner directly & see what he says.

            Given that it was a 2/2 and you "might need to use creativity to get the cache", are you sure there was no other way to retrieve the cache then to climb the tree? Are you sure that wasn't some kind of fishing line/pulley apparatus or other way to retrieve the cache from the ground?  Because if you have to climb a tree or use a ladder, that is way more than a 2 star difficulty. The fourth cache I ever did back in 2001 was in a tree in a cemetery in Portland, Maine (Monkey See, Monkey Do (GC4C9)). It was about 30 feet up in a tree, and  I couldn't even reach the lowest branch (those stubby arms haunted me again!). My 12- year old nephew who was 6 feet tall at the time climbed up to get it for us. About 1 year later, GC decided climbing trees in cemeteries was a really bad idea & the owners subsequently changed it so you don't have to climb the tree anymore. So I can't imagine that GC approved another one which involves climbing a tree in a cemetery.

            Mary Beth
            (emmy-n-sapphie)

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 2, 2006
              Hi!

              Welcome back!

              First, it sounds to me as if it was more than a 2 terrain.

              In a similar situation, I personally log it and then privately e-mail the owner and tell them what I saw, what I did, and that I've logged it as a find.  I then ask them, if they disagree, to delete the find, which is their perogative.

              On another note, up for some night caching?  A small group is going to try for "Night Mission - Doomspore" tommorow (Oct 3).  Feel free to join us at the listed coordinates at 7 PM.

              The Waterweasel mka Russ

[...]

                  @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                  If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance. --George Bernard Shaw
                • mda_taz
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 2, 2006
                    It sounds like the rating may not have been rated correctly, based
                    on the information given. Have you emailed the owner to ask if that
                    was indeed the container and if there was an easier way to get to
                    it? Most cache owners usually help you with information. I have
                    emailed cache owners occasionally, if I truly thought that a rating
                    was too high or too low. Remember to be considerate and thoughtful.

                    I personally do not agree that a cache should be counted as a find,
                    unless you sign the physical logbook also. There are several caches
                    that have decoy containers, so simply seeing it does not count. The
                    fun of this great sport is the adventure, the hunt, the places
                    caching take you, scenic views, historical places and knowing that
                    you signed the logbook.

                    There are some exceptions to the rule. Only after contacting the
                    cache owner and verifying that you found the correct container and
                    if there was something that altered its original location to prevent
                    a normal retrieval, then you could count the find. There are some
                    cases where an animal or nature has moved the container in a spot
                    that cannot be reached. Also, not having a writing device does not
                    excuse you from not signing the logbook.

                    Matthew
                    mda_taz
                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Sylvie"
                    <hanessacm@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings to my Texas geocaching compadres!
                    >
                    > I was called back to Austin for a week, so thought I'd cache
                    during
                    > the weekend. Encountered a situation where I need to ask advice:
                    >
                    > Situation -
                    > A cache, rated as a 2,2 - where the author states we might need to
                    > use creativity to get to the cache.
                    >
                    > I arrive, see the cache -
                    > it's 12-15 feet above, in a tree
                    > Twist tied to the branch - only way to remove it is by reaching it
                    > and taking off the cap to get to the log
                    > not a climbing tree
                    > is in a cemetary very near tombstones and graves
                    >
                    > Question - does the fact I can state where it is, the
                    surroundings,
                    > the environment, and the cache situation counts as a find, or is
                    > logging the only proof of find?
                    > Does the rating of 2,2 seem appropriate for this type of cache?
                    > Does the fact the location does not readily provide for options
                    (such
                    > as a forest with loose tree branches, or sticks) bring up the
                    cache
                    > difficulty?
                    > Does the location (ie, cemetary) make it that we are expected not
                    > perhaps do what we would do in another locatation (such as an open
                    > field, or forest?)
                    >
                    > Need your advice - I counted it as a cache found, as I could
                    describe
                    > everything - location, situation, exact layout - but could not
                    reach
                    > the cache to log... and refused to climb the tree due to its
                    location
                    > (Perhaps my religious upbringing...) - - author and cacher
                    questions
                    > my count as a find - -
                    > I questioned the rating, and location...
                    >
                    > What would you have done? count it? not count it? I'm not from
                    here -
                    > could I be expected to go back with a ladder? Is this an
                    appropriate
                    > place to be doing this (cemetary)?
                    >
                    > I've only been caching since april, and have 340 finds (well,
                    maybe
                    > 339) so still new to this - -this is the first time I've
                    encountered
                    > this...
                    > ADVICE please!
                    > Aldy from Canada

                  • Candy Lind
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 2, 2006

                      Just thought I would toss in my 2 cents on this. I LOVE CEMETERY CACHES! I would often like to spend more time looking around than my caching cohorts (yeah, I know, I'm burning daylight!!). But having said that, I also think a great deal of thought should be put into their placement, and the hider should not make anyone do anything that they wouldn't do at a funeral or memorial (to be blunt!). If the hide is not very obvious (to geocachers), then spoiler hints should be given and it should be noted in the description that they might well be required for a find that does not disrespect the hallowed location.

                      The kind of hide you describe is what has probably caused the controvery in several states over geocaches hidden in cemeteries, and the outlawing of cemetery caches in South Carolina. A cemetery is not the place to put a cache that demonstrates the seeker's athletic ability or willingness to make a fool of himself. If you want to do that, there are more than enough parks, greenbelts and open waterways out there for your use. The purpose of a cemetery cache should be to steep the seeker in history, to carry them away to another time, to give him a greater appreciation of his forefathers' path through life.

                      Happy Trails!
                      Candy

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Sylvie" <hanessacm@...> wrote:

                      >... situation -
                      > A cache, rated as a 2,2 - where the author states we might need to
                      > use creativity to get to the cache.
                      >
                      > I arrive, see the cache -
                      > it's 12-15 feet above, in a tree ...

                    • Barry
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 2, 2006
                        Well said, Candy. I couldn't have put it any better myself!

                        Barry (Doc Geo)

                        <candylind@...> wrote:

                        > Just thought I would toss in my 2 cents on this. I LOVE CEMETERY
                        CACHES!
                        > I would often like to spend more time looking around than my
                        caching
                        > cohorts (yeah, I know, I'm burning daylight!!). But having said
                        that, I
                        > also think a great deal of thought should be put into their
                        placement,
                        > and the hider should not make anyone do anything that they
                        wouldn't do
                        > at a funeral or memorial (to be blunt!). If the hide is not very
                        obvious
                        > (to geocachers), then spoiler hints should be given and it should
                        be
                        > noted in the description that they might well be required for a
                        find
                        > that does not disrespect the hallowed location.
                        >
                        > The kind of hide you describe is what has probably caused the
                        controvery
                        > in several states over geocaches hidden in cemeteries, and the
                        outlawing
                        > of cemetery caches in South Carolina. A cemetery is not the place
                        to put
                        > a cache that demonstrates the seeker's athletic ability or
                        willingness
                        > to make a fool of himself. If you want to do that, there are more
                        than
                        > enough parks, greenbelts and open waterways out there for your
                        use. The
                        > purpose of a cemetery cache should be to steep the seeker in
                        history, to
                        > carry them away to another time, to give him a greater
                        appreciation of
                        > his forefathers' path through life.
                        >
                        > Happy Trails!
                        > Candy
                        >
                        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Sylvie"
                        <hanessacm@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > >... situation -
                        > > A cache, rated as a 2,2 - where the author states we might need
                        > > use creativity to get to the cache.
                        > >
                        > > I arrive, see the cache -
                        > > it's 12-15 feet above, in a tree ...

                      • Philip C. Mason
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 2, 2006
                          Im replying straight from Candys email to say that I too just love cemetary
                          caches also. Im somewhat of a history buff and I love being taken back in time
                          just by standing in a certain spot and reading someones headstone.
                          Please lets not ruin the chance to be able to continue to learn about our history
                          and play a very cool sport.

                          Phil