OT: City of Austin looking for volunteers

  • Kevin Mefford
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2006
      As some of you are aware, I volunteer with the COA at one of their
      water quality protection lands leading nature hikes.

      They're looking for additional volunteers as noted below. So far,
      we've only worked on the Slaughter creek tract in southwest Austin,
      but there are lands throughout the area.

      In case you aren't aware, the Water Quality Protection Lands are
      tracts of land that are purchased thanks to the voters of Austin and
      set aside from development. The city has several thousand acres
      either under direct purchase or conservation easements and they hope
      to add more with the upcoming bond vote.

      If you're interested, please contact me and I'll put you in touch with
      the proper contacts (rather than listing them on a public board).
      Also feel free to pass this along to any other interested groups.

      I am pleased to announce some upcoming training opportunities on the
      City's Water Quality Protection Lands (WQPL) offered by our partner,
      the Hill Country Foundation (HCF) for the Wildland Conservation
      Division (WCD). The Hill Country Foundation is conducting the two-day
      training workshops in order to assist the WQPL in their efforts to
      provide conservation education as well as volunteer activities for the
      citizens of Austin and the surrounding areas. When volunteers have
      completed the training, the WCD program will manage and direct the
      activities of trained volunteers.

      Three training workshops will be offered this fall -- one interpretive
      guide training and two trainings for land stewards -- as detailed
      below. We are seeking individuals that are experienced and comfortable
      in a wildland setting, either through participation in Wildland
      volunteer or other activities. Each of these trainings is a two-day
      commitment over a single weekend, 7-8 hours on Saturday and 4-5 hours
      on Sunday afternoon.

      Tour Guide Training----November 4&5, 2006
      Building upon their previous success, HCF will conduct this training
      on one of the WQPL properties. Volunteers will be trained to lead an
      interpretive hiking tour in a wildland setting without facilities. The
      hike will be classified as challenging due to the length of the route
      and the sloped terrain.

      Land Steward Training----December 2 & 3, 2006 and again on January 13
      & 14, 2007
      This training will be conducted on a WQPL tract where classroom and
      hands-on field training will be provided. Training activities will
      include plant identification, seed collecting, reseeding, cave clean
      outs, tree planting, and others. Volunteers will be trained to lead
      groups of volunteers in performing some of the tasks mentioned on a
      recurring basis and with minimal supervision.