Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Central Texas Regional Assoc

  • Mark Gessner
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15, 2002
      We faced a similar situation up in Dallas when forming the "Recumbent
      Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas." Started with five people riding
      comfy laid-back bikes, currently the membership is something like 200
      riders. All suggestions at officially organizing the club have always
      been shot down by popular outcry. The club started in November 1996,
      and six years later still has no bylaws, mandatory meetings, or club
      officers. Membership increases every year, and there are members all
      over the country now. http://www.rbent.org All work is done by
      volunteers (webmasters, email list maintainers, ride leaders). Anyone
      wanting to call an event simply announces it to the email list.

      I think this could be a model for the central texas geocaching
      organization. An organization that steadfastly refuses to be
      'organized.' It can be done.

      -mark.

      On Thursday, November 14, 2002, at 09:40 PM, Eoghan wrote:

      > This post and a few things that have happened in my new home town
      > have got me thinking about local geocaching groups. Since I'm not
      > really a part of the Central Texas community anymore I might not have
      > much room to talk, but here goes anyway. Please excuse me if this
      > gets too long or comes across as too arrogant.
    • Rich Wendling
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 15, 2002
        I'm not from Central Texas, but here's my 2 cents anyway...

        There are advantages and disadvantages to formal organizations.

        The biggest advantages I see would be in dealing with other
        organizations - government agencies, the media, etc. A
        formal "organization" will tend to have more influence than a bunch
        of people who happen to be interested in the same things. An
        organization doesn't have to be overly organized. NTGA still hasn't
        defined what a "member" is, and has no finances or by-laws (yet). We
        do have a website (www.ntga.net) that is voluntarily run, and we do
        have officers, although we haven't defined what they actually do.

        The biggest disadvantage is often that the organization sometimes can
        get so big and cumbersome that it forgets what it's there for.
        Politics and infighting can cause problems.

        Decide for yourselves how "organized" you want to get. Or, sit back
        and watch as NTGA and other geocaching clubs evolve, and then decide
        what you want to do.

        Rich Wendling
        aka Web-ling