RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] TB's and Coins at Events???

  • Wayne Lind
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 31, 2006
      Great questions Bob. Coins and travel bugs work essentially the same way. The coins will be brought to the event and be on display. For those people interested in coins, you bring a sheet of paper to record the tracking numbers (sometimes the numbers are pre-printed for you, but you shouldn't count on it) and then log them like travel bugs. Depending on the coins, you could end up with new icons in your "Trackables" page on your profile.

      Hope this makes sense, if not we can explain better at the event.

      Wayne
      The Outlaw.

      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 1, 2006
        yes

        @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 1, 2006
          sounds like whoever picked them up hasn't logged them yet
          (SOME people are less than quick that way =gentle smile=) Or they drop into the bottom of a cache bag.... many things happen to stall a TB/coin on its trek.
          You might see who attended and query them.

          On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 22:59:32 -0500 "Philip C. Mason" <dragonscale365@...> writes:
          Here is my question....
          I have two coins on my watchlist that on their coin page say that their location
          is still in the event called Spring Fling Pavillion Potluck-Texas Cachers
          that took place back in 4/8/2006. Is it still supposed to say that now that
          the event has been over for some 3 months or so?
          And yes, I did need to make it to an event soon.
          It sounds like Bob and I need to carpool.

          Phil

          @,.-:*'``'*: -.,@

          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 1, 2006
            Geocoins must be activated to be tracked and that does include "Discovering".  It also includes your personal inventory.
            Russ the waterweasel

            BTW, do you know about the event this coming Sunday at Duke's in Georgetown?  Barb (The Tygress) and I will be at that one. <G>

            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 1, 2006
              I'd drop an e-mail to the last person holding the coins and ask them to clarify their status.

              > Since I have never been to an event before I need some explanation. I
              >
              > just saw Semik drop some TB's into the 10K 10way. How is this done?
              > What
              > does this mean? Who gets the coins/TBs. How do you find them?
              > Discover
              > them? I am very confused but I have a few coins and TB's I might
              > drop if
              > I know what that meant.
              >
              > bobchernow

              Bob, what typically happens is we bring our stashes of TBs.
              People can Discover them (note the tag #s -- without the tag #, you're
              lost), and log them without actually taking posession.
              Other people swap out the actual TBs. e.g. You take Gnarly Grunge Dude,
              drop him into the event, but take home Really Cute Puppy Mutt (which you
              would then log as Retrieved, just as you would from a cache).

              Some of us bring our geocoin hoards to let people look at, but they never
              leave the owners' possession (though duplicates may be swapped between
              collections)

              Helpful?

              It's a good way for bugs with specific missions to get furthered along:
              "Anyone going to Hawaii?" cool!
              (Or for you to just get rid of that nagging baggage, being that TBs don't
              fit in most micro caches)

              [Oh, and to be "Discovered" a coin/travel bug doesn't necessarily need to
              be dropped -- though that helps link the association/ mileage to the
              event. Believe me, unless I can figure out a subroutine, I don't think
              I'll be dropping our geocoin hoard into any events, though we'll bring
              them to be admired/discovered. ... not to the 10Way, sadly... THREE other
              things going on.]

              It's really much simpler than it sounds.

              @,.-:*'``'*: -.,@
              The West was changing, and so was I. No, looking back, I have to thank
              old Roy for teaching me that when you fall from your horse, you climb
              back in the saddle and plow ahead. From Butch [Cassidy], I figured out
              that what I wanted to be was my own man -- just a good guy with a few bad
              habits. --Jimmy Buffett; "A Salty Piece of Land"

            • Bob Chernow
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 1, 2006
                If you are talking about the Badger event, yes, and I am planning on
                making an appearance. See you there.

                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Yep, that's the one.  See you there!

                  The Waterweasel mka Russ

                  Russ Jernigan wrote:

                  > Geocoins must be activated to be tracked and that does include
                  > "Discovering" . It also includes your personal inventory.
                  > Russ the waterweasel
                  >
                  > BTW, do you know about the event this coming Sunday at Duke's in
                  > Georgetown? Barb (The Tygress) and I will be at that one. <G>

                • fRoGsKiN
                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 3, 2006
                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Mire"
                    <geocache@...> wrote:

                    > My fellow Tush Brother has passed another milestone. This time the 2000
                    > cache mark... Woo Hoo!!!

                    Shiat, I am still lookin for 50 LOL.. My find to hide ratio is like
                    1/3. I'm on the trails the next few weeks! Congrats my technical brutha!