Re: It's "just" 200 but...

  • mzmotomania
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2006
      He's a GREAT kid period.

      Congrats to him & his perseverance. That's what it takes to be a
      Green Beret! :)

      Mzmotomania (M3)

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "acclanman"
      <melanied@...> wrote:

      > grn beret 2b passed 200 caches a couple of weeks ago while caching
      in
      > Arkansas. He doesn't have quite all of his caches logged yet but
      he's
      > working on it. He did this in a year while also a full time
      student,
      > a member of the award winning Bowie Outdoor Performing Ensemble
      > (Marching Band), a member of JROTC and taking AP classes
      (including
      > LATIN!). He does not have a GPS (that's another story) so must
      beg
      > and borrow one or do without when caching. He does not drive so
      he
      > must hitch a ride, bike or walk to all of his caches. Even with
      all
      > of these handicaps he has 4 FTFs and 2 hides. He is great fun to
      > cache with and I'm glad he is part of Team Austin B.A.D. (as
      > lignumaqua has dubbed us - grn Beret 2b, Acclanman, Droid81).
      >
      > ACCLanMan
      > (Melanie)

    • Bob Chernow
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2006
        Just 200. Hey as someone that just passed 200 I have to say Congrats.
        Those first caches come hard as you are not familiar with the weird,
        crazy, evil, strange, twisted, warped minds of the fellow cachers that
        will hide stuff anywhere and in anything. I know as I am becoming one of
        them as the hot summer heat melts my grey matter.

        bobchernow

        acclanman wrote:

        > grn beret 2b passed 200 caches a couple of weeks ago while caching in
        > Arkansas. He doesn't have quite all of his caches logged yet but he's
        > working on it. He did this in a year while also a full time student,
        > a member of the award winning Bowie Outdoor Performing Ensemble
        > (Marching Band), a member of JROTC and taking AP classes (including
        > LATIN!). He does not have a GPS (that's another story) so must beg
        > and borrow one or do without when caching. He does not drive so he
        > must hitch a ride, bike or walk to all of his caches. Even with all
        > of these handicaps he has 4 FTFs and 2 hides. He is great fun to
        > cache with and I'm glad he is part of Team Austin B.A.D. (as
        > lignumaqua has dubbed us - grn Beret 2b, Acclanman, Droid81).
        >
        > ACCLanMan
        > (Melanie)

      • Mary Beth Booth
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 2006
          I was quite impressed that he snared 2 of the FTF's on my quakes series this past Friday. Richard & Natalie (Deafdillos), Judy (The Ladybugs), and Mike (Lignumaqua) were all out there doing all or part of the series at about the same time. So to get 2 FTF's on a bicycle is amazing!  Plus, just riding a bike in this kind of heat is a feat unto itself. Of course, if he won anything on the lottery tickets i left as FTF prizes, y'all are going to have to redeem them for him :)

          Mary Beth
          (emmy-n-sapphie)

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 31, 2006
            Speaking of teens -- we've just addicted a buddy of Reid's.
            You'll start seeing him appear as Knightzofni (though in yesterday and Sat's physical logs it was Journeying Jernigans + Aaron, or, for micro-micros, JJ+A....)
            If anyone has an old GPS that they'd like to part with for *cheap*, do let us know.... we may have to set the boy up with one of his own in short order. After all, he LIVES in the midst of Hi_Dude, Geomire, TreyB, etc. territory.....

            On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:28:36 -0500 "Perrine, Julie" <julie.perrine@...> writes:

            Congratulations!  I think it’s so cool that a teenager likes our sport so much!  There aren’t too many of them out there!

            And everyone needs to stop saying “JUST” before their smiley count.  I

            (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

          • Wayne Lind
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 31, 2006
              JUST? 200 is a great milestone and a wonderful achievement! I think the fact that there are so many folks in this area with thousands of find, that there is a feeling that milestones that don't have an obscene number of zeros are not important. This couldn't be further from the truth! ALL milestone are important and worthy to be acknowleged. 200 is a great accomplishment, and when you consider not having a car, it's doubly so.

              Congratulations on your AWESOME milestone!

              Wayne.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 31, 2006
                Actually, it's double 100 (which is 100 times 1).... sure, they add up to the big #s, but that's eventually, and EACH find is pretty darn cool.... or, "What they said." Rejoice with the higher-acheivers, but also rejoice in your now-count.  Because, after all, it's all about the FUN. And when I meet you at an event, it's "Hi, my name is Tygress/Barb, who are you?" not "How many finds?"
                Now, I may point out some of those big number folks, suggest you get to know them, and we'll all regale you with tales and tips....

                (ok, ok, I'm being preachy, I'll go sit down)
                Barb

                On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:49:53 -0500 "Wayne Lind" <wlind@...> writes:
[...]

                The West was changing, and so was I. No, looking back, I have to thank old Roy for teaching me that when you fall from your horse, you climb back in the saddle and plow ahead. From Butch [Cassidy], I figured out that what I wanted to be was my own man -- just a good guy with a few bad habits. --Jimmy Buffett; "A Salty Piece of Land"