RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Charter Memberships

  • geocaching
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 21, 2002
      RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Charter Memberships

      I would gladly pay $30 a year to keep geocaching.com on the internet.  If I'm correct Jeremy works for an online clothing store and they are nice enough to use allow Jeremy access to their server.  The geocaching.com web site looks like it can not be hosted on one of those $20 a month plans.  It looks like he needs a dedicated server for the database and such.  This would cost any of us between $100-$500 a month!  Geocaching.com has proven to me that it is the king daddy of all geocaching sites.  If it goes bye-bye we might go bye-bye also.  I don't have a problem paying a small yearly fee to help keep something that I like and enjoy on the internet.  As we have all seen free web sites can only generate a small amount of money by advertising but they have to change their business plan to generate income or even stay online.

      Adamjrae and family

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@y..., "tlane3of6" <tlane3of6@y...>
      wrote:
      > So what's the local feelings about the new optional fee's at
      > Geocaching.com?
      >
      > Personally, I have mixed feelings.  I understand that the cost to
      > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
      > shirt and hat sales.  On the other hand, I don't see
      > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
      >
      > As a practical matter, we haven't lost anything.  Jeremy has always
      > said that we will 'never' have to PAY to PLAY and its still true.
      > We can still do everything that we've become used to.  (Although,
      > unrelated to any fees I just realized that javascripts are
      disabled.

      > Two months ago, I didn't even know what that was.  If you had a
      > chance to see  "A Wee Bit of Fun" cache before, you know that I
      made
      > a leapt and learned how to copy and paste javascripts.)
      >
      > If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
      > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
      > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months.
      > don't see us ever wanting to hide a cache for 'memebers only'.
      >
      > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't.  Interested
      > in sharing your opinions?
      >
      > Tom

      ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Buy Stock for $4. No Minimums. FREE Money 2002. http://us.click.yahoo.com/BgmYkB/VovDAA/ySSFAA/YltolB/TM

    • candy8966
      Message 2 of 10 , May 4 9:08 AM
        geocaching <geocaching@a...> wrote:
        > I would gladly pay $30 a year to keep geocaching.com on the
        internet... The geocaching.com web
        > site looks like it can not be hosted on one of those $20 a month
        plans. It
        > looks like he needs a dedicated server for the database and such.
        This
        > would cost any of us between $100-$500 a month! ...
        > Adamjrae and family

        "tlane3of6" <tlane3of6@y...> wrote:
        > Personally, I have mixed feelings. I understand that the cost to
        > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
        > shirt and hat sales. On the other hand, I don't see
        > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
        > ... If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
        > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
        > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months ...
        > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't. Interested
        > in sharing your opinions?

        My two cents is this ... I've become a Charter Member and Wayne most
        likely will, too, on the next paycheck ... $30 a year (plus
        tschotchkes of course) is FAR less than we pay for other
        entertainment such as softball ($30 per 8-game series, plus balls) or
        golf (anywhere from $17 to $50 a round) so we figure it is well worth
        it to support the site. Plus I'm getting excercise I wasn't getting
        and I'm not paying for some club membership ... you get my drift. Now
        if I can just keep my feet under me and quit "klutzing out" on 1-star
        difficulty caches, I should be just fine! ;-) (you had to be at
        Austin Geo-Hour to understand that ...)

        Candy aka Moosiegirl
      • Michele Pain
        Message 3 of 10 , May 4 11:10 AM
          Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Charter Memberships I have been reluctant to join because I'm cheap/broke. But...I've know I would since I've gotten well over $30 worth of entertainment value in the last 2 months! Where's teh original email that all of these refer to?
          Thanks
          Michele in Austin
          ----------
          From: candy8966 <candylind@...>
          To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Charter Memberships
          Date: Sat, May 4, 2002, 11:08 AM

          geocaching <geocaching@a...> wrote:
          > I would gladly pay $30 a year to keep geocaching.com on the
          internet...  The geocaching.com web
          > site looks like it can not be hosted on one of those $20 a month
          plans.  It
          > looks like he needs a dedicated server for the database and such.
          This
          > would cost any of us between $100-$500 a month! ...
          > Adamjrae and family

          "tlane3of6" <tlane3of6@y...> wrote:
          > Personally, I have mixed feelings.  I understand that the cost to
          > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
          > shirt and hat sales.  On the other hand, I don't see
          > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
          > ... If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
          > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
          > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months ...
          > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't.  Interested
          > in sharing your opinions?

          My two cents is this ... I've become a Charter Member and Wayne most
          likely will, too, on the next paycheck ... $30 a year (plus
          tschotchkes of course) is FAR less than we pay for other
          entertainment such as softball ($30 per 8-game series, plus balls) or
          golf (anywhere from $17 to $50 a round) so we figure it is well worth
          it to support the site. Plus I'm getting excercise I wasn't getting
          and I'm not paying for some club membership ... you get my drift. Now
          if I can just keep my feet under me and quit "klutzing out" on 1-star
          difficulty caches, I should be just fine! ;-) (you had to be at
          Austin Geo-Hour to understand that ...)

          Candy aka Moosiegirl

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
          var lrec_URL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2037434.3509115.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705171288:HM/A=1061772/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356"; var lrec_flashfile="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429b.swf"; var lrec_altURL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2037434.3509115.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705171288:HM/A=1061772/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356"; var lrec_altimg="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429.gif"; var lrec_width=300; var lrec_height=250;

        • txhipowr
          Message 4 of 10 , May 9 7:12 AM
            Michele,

            You can view all the meesages from Central Texas Geocachers at:

            You might need to set up a free account with yahoo to get into the
            archive area.

            Lou Catozzi
            TxHiPowr

          • stillfindingthings <stylie@maclaunch.com>
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "tlane3of6" <tlane3of6@y...> wrote:
              > So what's the local feelings about the new optional fee's at
              > Geocaching.com?
              >
              > Personally, I have mixed feelings. I understand that the cost to
              > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
              > shirt and hat sales. On the other hand, I don't see
              > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
              >
              > As a practical matter, we haven't lost anything. Jeremy has always
              > said that we will 'never' have to PAY to PLAY and its still true. We
              > can still do everything that we've become used to. (Although,
              > unrelated to any fees I just realized that javascripts are disabled.
              > Two months ago, I didn't even know what that was. If you had a
              > chance to see "A Wee Bit of Fun" cache before, you know that I made
              > a leapt and learned how to copy and paste javascripts.)
              >
              > If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
              > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
              > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months. I
              > don't see us ever wanting to hide a cache for 'memebers only'.
              >
              > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't. Interested in
              > sharing your opinions?
              >
              > Tom

              Hello All,
              Wow, I just figured out what this post was about. (I'm a little slow). I went to research caches in Minnesota for an upcoming summer trip, and I ran into a members only cache. In fact, 2 of the 4 caches I was interested in were members only.
              I have always been a strong advocate of free information on the internet and I seem to run into the "pay for", and "register for", sites more and more often. I don't think its bad, I guess, I just harken back to a time when web sites were more or less a labor of love, and information was a little more distributed across a wide variety of sites. Web sites seem to give information away for a while, then they get big, and next thing you know its get out the check book. Look at Google and how its growing, its everywhere..are there any other search engines? ;-) Anyway, I offer that a person who hides cache might cross post the location to other DB sites like Navicache or post to the public usenet. Folks who only want select, "willing to pay" geocache visitors, of course have that option. I certainly felt a small sting of being excluded when I tried to look at those coordinates in MN. I dont know, I'm probably whining. (SUAG)(Shut up and Geocache).
              One final thought, I think the comment on the sales pitch and sign up page is a little interesting..
              The site say's we will never charge you to go Geocaching, yet by charging for the coordinates to the cache isn't the site charging people to go?

              Dogger
              (Getting out his checkbook)

              P.S. Loved the Mckinney Roughs multicache, thanks for the tip at the happy hour back at La Feria.
              P.P.S I miss ole Roxbob's Austin Challenge's
            • Grajek
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
                Hello,
                I am new to the sport and the mailing list. I like the idea of the
                optional fees but do not like the "Members Only Caches." I will send my
                money, but as a matter of principle will not participate in the members
                only caches. I agree with Dogger Information should be free. I
                understand the need for money and even the extra little perks you can
                get with a monthly subscription to attract people (Like the Icon next to
                your name), but not Memebers Only Caches.

                Nice to meet everyone. Thanks to everyone that have taken the time to
                email me with suggestions and guidance in the new sport.

                Thanks
                Grajek

> [...]

                location to other DB sites like Navicache or post to the public usenet.
                Folks who only want select, "willing to pay" geocache visitors, of
                course have that option. I certainly felt a small sting of being
                excluded when I tried to look at those coordinates in MN. I dont know,
                I'm probably whining. (SUAG)(Shut up and Geocache).
                One final thought, I think the comment on the sales pitch and sign up
                page is a little interesting..
                The site say's we will never charge you to go Geocaching, yet by
                charging for the coordinates to the cache isn't the site charging people
                to go?

                Dogger
                (Getting out his checkbook)

                P.S. Loved the Mckinney Roughs multicache, thanks for the tip at the
                happy hour back at La Feria.
                P.P.S I miss ole Roxbob's Austin Challenge's

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Lou Catozzi
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
                  Hi Grajek,

                  Welcome aboard. Where are you based out of? I have noticed that the
                  only Members Only cache within 100 miles of Austin is located in
                  Hempstead, TX. It doesn't as if the local charter members (myself
                  included) think much of the idea either. We really haven't had much call
                  for that locally.

                  Lou Catozzi
                  AKA TxHiPowr