Rescue in Airman's Cave

  • Brent
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3, 2006
      Here is a link to the video. We don't recognize her, but it's a good
      warning for anyone who might be thinking of looking for it.
      http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=5107833

      Brent

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"
      <bcwatson@...> wrote:

      > BTW, Sue and I are talking about doing Airman's Cave.... so was the
      lady
      > who got stuck a geocacher?
      > She didn't look familiar from what I could see on the news....
      >
      > Barry
    • Lowracer
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3, 2006
        Candy,

        I know it's not after 6AM yet, but meet me at the following
        coordinates. I know of an area with hundreds of easy caches you
        haven't found yet!

        N 37° 41.570 W 097° 17.330

        <candylind@...> wrote:

        > Do you need a caching buddy for Independence Day?
      • Candy Lind
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 4, 2006

          SORRY I didn't get this in time -- I already had a route planned with TeamKaos (Zenfire) that will probably be a little bit easier on the fuel bill ... ;)

          Hope you and Mommy Lowracer have a great 4th!

          Candy

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Lowracer" <lowracer@...> wrote:

          > Candy,
          >
          > I know it's not after 6AM yet, but meet me at the following
          > coordinates. I know of an area with hundreds of easy caches you
          > haven't found yet!
          >
          > N 37° 41.570 W 097° 17.330
          >
          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Candy Lind"
          > candylind@ wrote:
          > >

          > > Do you need a caching buddy for Independence Day?

        • Chris Mire
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 4, 2006
            I don't think that was a cacher. If you review the story, it said
            that they ventured 1000 ft into the cave, the cache is only 200 ft at
            most into the cave. The cache is very easy to get to, and
            there are no spots that would get you stuck once inside the cave. Of
            course I went over 200ft past the cache thinking it was the old cache
            since there was no cache name on the log. That 200ft was VERY TOUGH
            GOING, especially the 200ft return trip! Thank goodness I actually
            have rescue experience and was used to being in very tight places.
            Remember, how ever far you travel, you always have that distance to
            return. This is what gets most people that find themselves in
            trouble. They go until they get too tired to continue, then realize
            they have all that way to get back. Then they freak out thinking they
            can't make it, and BOOM... we have a problem.

            End result, this cache is VERY SAFE, although no one should be
            foolish enough to do it alone. I would recommend multiple light
            sources that include a headlamp, and water for later. Knee pads and
            elbow pads, with a good long sleeve shirt, full fingered gloves and a
            hat will make your experience much nicer!

            I don't mind going back in at some time if someone wants to
            experience the cave.

            -Chris

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent" <brbapb@...>
            wrote:

            > Here is a link to the video. We don't recognize her, but it's a
            good
            > warning for anyone who might be thinking of looking for it.
            > http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=5107833
            >
            > Brent
            >
            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"
            > <bcwatson@> wrote:
            > >
            > > BTW, Sue and I are talking about doing Airman's Cave.... so was
            the
            > lady
            > > who got stuck a geocacher?
            > > She didn't look familiar from what I could see on the news....
            > >
            > > Barry

          • Peter M. Maurer
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 4, 2006
              I think that's probably farther than you wanted to drive anyway, Candy.

              --Pete (DrHogg)

              At 08:58 AM 7/4/2006, you wrote:

              SORRY I didn't get this in time -- I already had a route planned with TeamKaos (Zenfire) that will probably be a little bit easier on the fuel bill ... ;)

              Hope you and Mommy Lowracer have a great 4th!

              Candy

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Lowracer" <lowracer@...> wrote:

              > Candy,
              >
              > I know it's not after 6AM yet, but meet me at the following
              > coordinates. I know of an area with hundreds of easy caches you
              > haven't found yet!
              >
              > N 37° 41.570 W 097° 17.330
              >
              > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Candy Lind"
              > candylind@ wrote:
              > >

              > > Do you need a caching buddy for Independence Day?

            • Richard Young
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 4, 2006
                Chris, when you lead another trip to Airman, please
                sign the log for me, don't forget to say 'Cache on'.
                You might alos take a picture to prove my name is in
                the log cause that's the only way I'll ever see this
                one! Glad some folks like this sort of adventure,
                I'll stick to water and airplanes.
                Cache on,
                DY aka Blizzard

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • inspectorgadget@skywonders.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 4, 2006
                  I'd be interested! Before Friday if possible, go out of town then.

                  Dan

                • Grajek
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 4, 2006