Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Multi Caches

  • Julie Perrine
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 28 6:44 PM
      Here's how I handle multi-caches.  When I travel, I absolutely filter them out.  I also filter out all puzzles.  There are more than enough caches for me to find where ever I'm going.

      In Austin, I will definitely get around to doing them, but I snag the other ones first.  The thing that turns me off about multis is that I don't know the time commitment going into it.  Maybe the notes could say "short multi-cache" or " quickie" or "you can do this in an hour" etc.  Knowing the number of stages helps.  Knowing that all the stages are available is important too.  If I see from the logs that any of the legs are having problems, I'll stay away until everything looks good again.   There's a lengthy multi that is the closest to my house now and I probably won't do it until I.....hmm, if I wait long enough, maybe it will get archived!  LOL!

      Anyone who puts out a puzzle cache, or a multi-cache or a very remote cache should understand that they won't get hit very often.  My cache on the island in Town Lake only gets hit 2 or 3 times a year.  With a thousand other caches in Austin to choose from, you're facing a lot of competition.  But please don't take it personally. Its not about the person who hid the cache.

      These are my own thoughts, and other people may think differently.

      On 6/28/06, Barb Jernigan <gumbietygress@...> wrote:

      Be patient!
      We're too busy solving all those damned puzzles!!!
      And have to heal up from Backstop Boys!!!
      And, and....

      In this cacher household, we don't "disregard them" but they typically
      require a time investment, so we clear out the p&gs first. Or maybe it's
      not even conscious -- because we did some Stratman multis near the house.
      It is true that sometimes things that require more than .2 mile one-way
      often get reserved for longer (and cooler) days.....
      Clearly, the Waterweasel and I need to make a concentrated effort to
      cache Pflugerville!!!

      OTOH, Ought-Seven, which is a single -- but right at .2 one-way (though
      you can cache 2 other hides AT LEAST and make it part of a "multi" run),
      only has about 10 finds, if that.

      I DO empathise with not wanting to put out "wasted" effort.... =sympathy=

      (And now you've got me curious!!!)

      I think, though, with the SWAG NASTY and QuickSax serieseses....(sic!)
      we've gotten spoiled by the multi-smiley multis with the bonus at the
      end. And we say it's not about the numbers.....

      On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:44:28 -0000 "lowelldennis" < cyberclops@...>
      writes:
      > Uncle Fluffy and I have a serios question for the geocachers in this
      >
      > area ...
      >
      > Do you generally disregard multi-caches?
      >
      > We ask because we currently own two multi-caches. "Who left that
      > here? Is that yours?", GCTFYT, which was published way back on
      > February 21st and "The Pflugerville Loop", GCW2RA, which was
      > published on June 8th.
      > If you combine both of them ... only 10 people have
      > logged them as found. They are not hard. TPL is a series of YAPIDKA
      > PNGs that should take less than an hour and WLTHITY while wierd is
      > very easy and quick (10 minutes or so).
      >
      > Uncle Fluffy and I put a lot of work into them, especially TPL, and
      > do
      > not feel we are getting a very good response. Like anyone who puts
      >
      > caches out there we want them to be found. After all we put them
      > out
      > for your enjoyment, not ours (OK, we enjoy reading the logs and
      > hearing people's reactions to our warped sense of humor - but it is
      >
      > truly to give back to those of you who support our addiction).
      >
      > We ask the question to determine if we want to put any more multi-
      > caches out there. We are also considering busting TPL up into a
      > series of caches that each contain part of the location of the final
      >
      > cache (like Stratman's "SWAG Nasty" or Geomires "Quick Sax" series).
      >
      > Those of you who have found TPL will understand the challenge this
      > presents. But, would this be preferable to a true multi-cache?
      >
      > Unfortunately, the legs of WLTHITY are not far enough apart to get
      > approved so it will have to stay as a true multi-cache.
      >
      > We would appreciate any feedback you could give on this.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Cyberclops and Uncle Fluffy

      @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
      You can't have a light without a dark to stick it in. --Arlo Guthrie

    • Bob Chernow
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 28 7:46 PM
        I just picked up Chop Top TB from the Path of Righteousness Cache. He
        wants to go to the Orlando TB Hotel. Any takers? Anyone heading to
        Florida on a vacation soon? I can arrange to hand off the TB to get him
        on his way. Also a nice way to meet another cacher :-).

        bobchernow
      • Brent
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 28 9:36 PM
          We like multis...we made the trip up from South Austin to do TPL. We
          enjoyed it, as we like to take tours of an area like that. I do feel
          that a lot of people would like the reward of multiple smileys for a
          long, many-stage cache such as that one. So your idea of breaking it
          up into individual caches might help. That way people will know how
          many legs there are, how far apart they are, and there will be
          multiple smileys for those who pay attention to that sort of thing.
          We haven't done your other one, but it sounds like those stages are
          few enough and close enough to each other to stay the same.

          And if this makes you feel any better, it seems that caching
          activity in general has been low all over Austin for the last couple
          of months. I have quite a few caches on my watch list and have seen
          very little activity on any of them lately. Don't know if it's the
          end of school activities, the heat, or vacations, or what, but it
          has been noticable.

          In closing, let me say that we enjoyed TPL; both the places you took
          us to, and the containers. (Although we had already seen one like it
          employed by Inspector Gadget in South Austin :) ) We know you put a
          lot of time and effort into this cache, and we appreciate it.

          Unfortunately with the downturn in activity, and the competition of
          the sheer numbers of caches in the Austin area, it's hard to make
          any one cache stand out and get the attention it deserves.

          Brent and Amanda

          (BANDA)

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "lowelldennis"
          <cyberclops@...> wrote:

          > Uncle Fluffy and I have a serios question for the geocachers in
          this
          > area ...
          >
          > Do you generally disregard multi-caches?
          >
          > We ask because we currently own two multi-caches. "Who left that
          > here? Is that yours?", GCTFYT, which was published way back on
          > February 21st and "The Pflugerville Loop", GCW2RA, which was
          published
          > on June 8th. If you combine both of them ... only 10 people have
          > logged them as found. They are not hard. TPL is a series of
          YAPIDKA
          > PNGs that should take less than an hour and WLTHITY while wierd is
          > very easy and quick (10 minutes or so).
          >
          > Uncle Fluffy and I put a lot of work into them, especially TPL,
          and do
          > not feel we are getting a very good response. Like anyone who
          puts
          > caches out there we want them to be found. After all we put them
          out
          > for your enjoyment, not ours (OK, we enjoy reading the logs and
          > hearing people's reactions to our warped sense of humor - but it
          is
          > truly to give back to those of you who support our addiction).
          >
          > We ask the question to determine if we want to put any more multi-
          > caches out there. We are also considering busting TPL up into a
          > series of caches that each contain part of the location of the
          final
          > cache (like Stratman's "SWAG Nasty" or Geomires "Quick Sax"
          series).
          > Those of you who have found TPL will understand the challenge this
          > presents. But, would this be preferable to a true multi-cache?
          >
          > Unfortunately, the legs of WLTHITY are not far enough apart to get
          > approved so it will have to stay as a true multi-cache.
          >
          > We would appreciate any feedback you could give on this.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Cyberclops and Uncle Fluffy

        • Mary Beth Booth
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 29 5:25 AM
            That's my thought exactly! We placed "Lost your Marbles yet?" multi in the Slaughter Creek Greenbelt & about 6 people have found it. No one has been to it since April. I have another cache in that same greenbelt, so when I get notified that someone found the other one, I look at their stats. Oftentimes they have found every other cache in the greenbelt on that day except my multi! I don't understand it. It's really quick (3 stage and each of the stages is within a  few hundred feet of each other). We spent a lot of time finding the redirectors which are not just plain ole film canisters. We stocked the final ammo can with lots of good prizes - Lignumaqua even thanked us for being too generous. And most everyone who did find it really enjoyed it. So I don't know what the problem is. I think too many people are focused on upping the smiley count & not just enjoying the game which to me is all about the thrill of the hunt.

            I understand that people are reluctant if they don't know how many stages there are or the time commitment. But my cache write-up says it's a short, 3-stage multi.

            Please don't give up on multis. Some of us are like BandA & we like multis. I have done their 2 multis & really enjoyed both of them. I haven't done yours yet not because it is a multi but because it's in Pflugerville & you can tell from previous emails that I don't venture north of the river very often. But we are planning a PFville run sometime this summer & will definitely try it then

            Mary Beth
            (emmy-n-sapphie)
            .

          • Barry
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 29 5:37 AM
              The wife and I did the Monster in 3 days.... we like multi's just
              fine. But there are so many caches out there. Like others have
              said, just be patient and we will all get to them unless new caches
              are being put out faster than we can find them which ain't happening!

              Barry (Doc Geo)

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Beth Booth"
              <mbb2001@...> wrote:

              > That's my thought exactly! We placed "Lost your Marbles yet?"
              multi in the Slaughter Creek Greenbelt & about 6 people have found
              it. No one has been to it since April. I have another cache in that
              same greenbelt, so when I get notified that someone found the other
              one, I look at their stats. Oftentimes they have found every other
              cache in the greenbelt on that day except my multi! I don't
              understand it. It's really quick (3 stage and each of the stages is
              within a few hundred feet of each other). We spent a lot of time
              finding the redirectors which are not just plain ole film canisters.
              We stocked the final ammo can with lots of good prizes - Lignumaqua
              even thanked us for being too generous. And most everyone who did
              find it really enjoyed it. So I don't know what the problem is. I
              think too many people are focused on upping the smiley count & not
              just enjoying the game which to me is all about the thrill of the
              hunt.

              > I understand that people are reluctant if they don't know how many
              stages there are or the time commitment. But my cache write-up says
              it's a short, 3-stage multi.

              > Please don't give up on multis. Some of us are like BandA & we
              like multis. I have done their 2 multis & really enjoyed both of
              them. I haven't done yours yet not because it is a multi but because
              it's in Pflugerville & you can tell from previous emails that I
              don't venture north of the river very often. But we are planning a
              PFville run sometime this summer & will definitely try it then

              > Mary Beth
              > (emmy-n-sapphie)
              >
              > .

            • Richard Young
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 29 6:14 AM
                I like multis fine to. My strong preferences tend
                toward hiking caches in the parks with a big ammo can
                at the end of the hunt. I agree with others that
                caching activity is down which usually occurs during
                the hotter months of summer.
                Be patient
                Cache on,

                Now tell me what is funky about Circle C :)

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Mary Beth Booth
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 29 6:31 AM
                  Well, actually, Circle C can boast that it has the only Starbuck's in the country that has a living roof - the roof is covered with a thick layer of soil and has been planted with native plants by the people at the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center. It's pretty neat - go check it out. And Stratus agreed to lease more tha 50% of the spaces in that mall to locally-owned businesses (I've only seen the chains so far, so I am not sure that is really going to happen, but that was what was promised). Plus, best of all, that mall has the Electric Avenue cache in it which is stumping even some of the master (Way to go Penneysized!)

                  So, even something seemingly as white-bread as Circle C can be a tiny bit funky. :)
                  MB

                  --- Barry <bcwatson@hopesanddr eams.com> wrote:

                  > The wife and I did the Monster in 3 days.... we
                  > like multi's just
                  > fine. But there are so many caches out there. Like
                  > others have
                  > said, just be patient and we will all get to them
                  > unless new caches
                  > are being put out faster than we can find them which
                  > ain't happening!
                  >
                  > Barry (Doc Geo)
                  >
                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Mary
                  > Beth Booth"
                  > <mbb2001@... > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > That's my thought exactly! We placed "Lost your
                  > Marbles yet?"
                  > multi in the Slaughter Creek Greenbelt & about 6
                  > people have found
                  > it. No one has been to it since April. I have
                  > another cache in that
                  > same greenbelt, so when I get notified that someone
                  > found the other
                  > one, I look at their stats. Oftentimes they have
                  > found every other
                  > cache in the greenbelt on that day except my multi!
                  > I don't
                  > understand it. It's really quick (3 stage and each
                  > of the stages is
                  > within a few hundred feet of each other). We spent
                  > a lot of time
                  > finding the redirectors which are not just plain ole
                  > film canisters.
                  > We stocked the final ammo can with lots of good
                  > prizes - Lignumaqua
                  > even thanked us for being too generous. And most
                  > everyone who did
                  > find it really enjoyed it. So I don't know what the
                  > problem is. I
                  > think too many people are focused on upping the
                  > smiley count & not
                  > just enjoying the game which to me is all about the
                  > thrill of the
                  > hunt.
                  > >
                  > > I understand that people are reluctant if they
                  > don't know how many
                  > stages there are or the time commitment. But my
                  > cache write-up says
                  > it's a short, 3-stage multi.
                  > >
                  > > Please don't give up on multis. Some of us are
                  > like BandA & we
                  > like multis. I have done their 2 multis & really
                  > enjoyed both of
                  > them. I haven't done yours yet not because it is a
                  > multi but because
                  > it's in Pflugerville & you can tell from previous
                  > emails that I
                  > don't venture north of the river very often. But we
                  > are planning a
                  > PFville run sometime this summer & will definitely
                  > try it then
                  > >
                  > > Mary Beth
                  > > (emmy-n-sapphie)
                  > >
                  > > .

                  Do You Yahoo!?
                  http://mail. yahoo.com

                • A Allen (SEMIK)
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 29 6:37 AM
                    In mine and mda_taz's case (we live in Manor), its the construction
                    of the toll road between us and pf'ville! Its simply awful! We raced
                    for two or three FTF a month or so ago and got really fed up with all
                    the road blocks. We really have to go out of the way to get up there
                    now. We haven't been in that area for errands or geocaching for
                    quite some time. We cleaned out most of Pf'ville a few months ago and
                    have just been doing pngs for puzzle solutions there when we were
                    already in the area on other business. We'll get to yours
                    eventually -- it may be after school starts and we start having
                    regular trips to Round Rock again.

                    We like multis, we like seeing the numbers in each cache type grow --
                    not just our bottom line. We're currently working on the MONSTER (of
                    them all) -- and except for power caching or filling in on TBI
                    Tuesday we've been caching around the legs of it. (We had to chase
                    the MONSTER up to Georgetown and that seriously stalled pf'ville
                    caching.)

                    I do agree with Julie (MCP) about stating in the description what
                    kind of time investment there is for a "finder" to complete the multi
                    and the number of legs doesn't hurt either. Those are the two pieces
                    of information I scan for when I am in unfamiliar territory so it is
                    very likely others do the same.

                    If you already have both pieces of information in your descriptions
                    then its just the timing of the hide -- many have "cleared" out the
                    area of the caches and they're either waiting for a lull in their
                    schedules or waiting for more caches to be placed in the area to hit
                    your multi (a multi shows up as only one cache on a gpsr screen).

                    Its a known fact that geocachers are attracted to clusters -- not
                    just because of the numbers/stats -- its the gratification of all
                    those boxes!! Indeed we have been spoiled over the last year
                    with "clusters".

                    Keep 'em coming guys. Don't take it personal (look at the traffic on
                    my puzzle caches -hah! and folks aren't even trying to solve them --
                    or at least they're not asking for hints) there will be weekends
                    where you'll get frustrated with the number of logs you get on them
                    because you're waiting on a publish notice or a ftf notification...

                    See ya around,
                    Audra
                    semik

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 29 6:50 AM
                      It's been HOT since April.
                      Wait for Autumn/Winter.

                      What with PI and devil vine (and this year the bull nettle is having a field day), some of us leave the "more wilderness" caches for a more kind-to-cacher time of year. "Wilderness"/"Bushwhacking" may be an unfair assessment of given caches; but we don't know, necessarily.
                      Russ and I hoofed it in to The Great Oak, or whatever it's called (in West Round Rock), and found a chest high wall of PI keeping us from the cache. In the heat (and blood-sucking bugs), particularly, that's a big time investment for disappointment.

                      Also, caches have been popping up all over the place, as someone noted -- which is MARVELLOUS -- but it does mean that there is more competing for our attention/time.  And the numbers close to home are keeping us from roaming. [Not to mention the price of gas.]
                      Also, as in the case with Pflugerville, this household had gotten "most of them" and then got caught up in the "bloom" of caches nearby and to the North. Think "crop rotation." Clearly the Pflugerville compadres have been BUSY, and a dedicated weekend needs to be spent -- only, well, it's summer, and we're BUSY (priorities are SO messed up, I know).

                      Be patient! Most of us WILL get to the multis....

                      I know that the planting of a cache is because we want to share with the community; but don't get caught up in the inverse number game, either.

                      There's love to go around, it just takes a bit longer to feel it.
                      IMHO ymmd

                      On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 07:25:44 -0500 "Mary Beth Booth" <mbb2001@...> writes:
[...]

                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 29 6:57 AM
                        That's my modus operandi too:-

                        Fall - Spring: Cool, all caches are fair game

                        Summer: HOT! Park-n-grabs and short hikes only! (Call me a wimp if you
                        like)

                        I thought this multi cache looked interesting and I definitely would
                        go for it if it were closer. Like Mary Beth we rarely venture North of
                        the Colorado and I've never cached in Pflugerville or Round Rock.
                        (That's on the white part of my map, next to the warning "Here be
                        Dragons...")

                        Mike

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Richard Young

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 29 9:01 AM
                          But we're NICE dragons!!!!
                          =g=

                          On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:57:08 -0000 "Mike"
                          <geocaching@...> writes:
> [...]
                          > > > problem is. I
                          > > > think too many people are focused on upping the
                          > > > smiley count & not
                          > > > just enjoying the game which to me is all about the
                          > > > thrill of the
                          > > > hunt.

                          > > > don't know how many
                          > > > stages there are or the time commitment. But my
                          > > > cache write-up says
                          > > > it's a short, 3-stage multi.

                          > > > like BandA & we
                          > > > like multis. I have done their 2 multis & really
                          > > > enjoyed both of
                          > > > them. I haven't done yours yet not because it is a
                          > > > multi but because
                          > > > it's in Pflugerville & you can tell from previous
                          > > > emails that I
                          > > > don't venture north of the river very often. But we
                          > > > are planning a
                          > > > PFville run sometime this summer & will definitely

                          @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                          You can't have a light without a dark to stick it in. --Arlo Guthrie
                        • Criselda Miller
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 29 11:30 AM
                            Hi Barb

                            <geocaching@mikewood consulting. com> writes:
> [...]
                            > > > problem is. I
                            > > > think too many people are focused on upping the
                            > > > smiley count & not
                            > > > just enjoying the game which to me is all about the
                            > > > thrill of the
                            > > > hunt.

                            > > > don't know how many
                            > > > stages there are or the time commitment. But my
                            > > > cache write-up says
                            > > > it's a short, 3-stage multi.

                            > > > like BandA & we
                            > > > like multis. I have done their 2 multis & really
                            > > > enjoyed both of
                            > > > them. I haven't done yours yet not because it is a
                            > > > multi but because
                            > > > it's in Pflugerville & you can tell from previous
                            > > > emails that I
                            > > > don't venture north of the river very often. But we
                            > > > are planning a
                            > > > PFville run sometime this summer & will definitely

                            @,.-:*'``'*: -.,@
                            You can't have a light without a dark to stick it in. --Arlo Guthrie

                          • Lowell Dennis
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 29 12:08 PM
                              I think that the Dragons are in Round Rock ... but there are Panthers here in P'ville :-)

                              ...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > > smiley count & not
                              > > just enjoying the game which to me is all about the
                              > > thrill of the
                              > > hunt.
                              > > >
                              > > > I understand that people are reluctant if they
                              > > don't know how many
                              > > stages there are or the time commitment. But my
                              > > cache write-up says
                              > > it's a short, 3-stage multi.
                              > > >
                              > > > Please don't give up on multis. Some of us are
                              > > like BandA & we
                              > > like multis. I have done their 2 multis & really
                              > > enjoyed both of
                              > > them. I haven't done yours yet not because it is a
                              > > multi but because
                              > > it's in Pflugerville & you can tell from previous
                              > > emails that I
                              > > don't venture north of the river very often. But we
                              > > are planning a
                              > > PFville run sometime this summer & will definitely

                              No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
                            • Lowell Dennis
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 29 12:35 PM
                                OK. Thanks everyone for your responses. They have been very illuminating. The basic sentiment that I get from all of this is most of you do and will do multis but due to distance, heat, time contraints ... it may take a while for you to get to them.

                                Personally, I have not been geocaching all that long and as I review my finds I see that I have found 160 geocaches with only 4 beening multis. Like all of you, I seem to be constained on time quite a bit, and I never know what I are going to get with a multi. I have to allow a good amount of time for them because I hate to only get part way through and have to come back later because I ran out of time.

                                So, here is what I am planning to do ...
                                1) Update my multis with a better description
                                a) how many stages
                                b) how far
                                c) approximately how long it should take
                                2) Be a little more PATIENT!!!

                                I may shorten "The Pflugerville Loop" to 3 or four legs instead of the current 7. If I do I'll turn the others into Park-and-Grabs to increase the number of caches in Pflugerville and perhaps lure more people to the area for caching especailly those "wierdos" (I'm just quoting what was included in a prior post) from south Austin who for some reason are afraid of us north Austinites and do not often cross to our side of the river :-P

                                Again, thanks for the feeback,

                                Lowell (aka Cyberclops)

                                ...> wrote:

> [...]
                                > > smiley count & not
                                > > just enjoying the game which to me is all about the
                                > > thrill of the
                                > > hunt.
                                > > >
                                > > > I understand that people are reluctant if they
                                > > don't know how many
                                > > stages there are or the time commitment. But my
                                > > cache write-up says
                                > > it's a short, 3-stage multi.
                                > > >
                                > > > Please don't give up on multis. Some of us are
                                > > like BandA & we
                                > > like multis. I have done their 2 multis & really
                                > > enjoyed both of
                                > > them. I haven't done yours yet not because it is a
                                > > multi but because
                                > > it's in Pflugerville & you can tell from previous
                                > > emails that I
                                > > don't venture north of the river very often. But we
                                > > are planning a
                                > > PFville run sometime this summer & will definitely

                              • Perrine, Julie
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 29 1:32 PM

                                  Sounds good!  And remember, people chose their caches in 1000 different ways and you should never take it personally when they don’t choose yours.  Look at all the CHOICES!!!!!!

                                  Actually, I met BandA out at the start of Pflugerville Loop this weekend and passed on it when they told me it was 7 stages!

                                  And now you’re reducing it to three.  See?  Procrastinating pays off AGAIN!!!!!!!!  WooHoo!  But I wouldn’t hold my breath on the three, either…….  NOTHING PERSONAL!

                                  Cheers,

                                  Julie

                                  Wierdo who Travels

                                  Mrs. Captain Picard

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 29 1:32 PM
                                    LOL
                                    (Reid is going to Westwood, so I totally skipped over that bit! I was thinking of myself when it comes to, oh, geocoins....)

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 29 9:31 PM
                                      Dennis"<cyberclops@...> wrote:

                                      So, here is what I am planning to do ...1) Update my multis with a
                                      better description a) how many stages b) how far c)
                                      approximately how long it should take>

                                      Now that I think about it, for Pflugerville Loop you should also add a
                                      warning that it should NOT be attempted by Aggies or Blondes as
                                      well! :) Ha, Ha

                                      Brent

                                      (BandA)