Caches Along A Route 'Feature'

  • Nick Silkey
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 28, 2006
      http://www.geocaching.com/my/userroutes.aspx

      Has anyone seen this? Played with it at all?

      I just tried doing a search from our home in Cedar Park to my parent's
      home in Victoria, TX using the absolute street addresses. It returned
      this hit:

      new orleans, la to austin, TX "New Orleans, LA to Austin, TX via
      I-10 and Hwy 71."

      Looks like its not ready for primetime. But still a start! w00t!
      Hopefully this develops further so I can avoid stacking queries and
      using arcs. :P
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 28, 2006
        Yep - it's pretty cool.

        Other good news on GC.com is that the Geocaching.com Google map pages
        now show which caches you've 'Found' and 'Placed'.

        Mike

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Silkey"
        <nsilkey@...> wrote:

        > http://www.geocaching.com/my/userroutes.aspx
        >
        > Has anyone seen this? Played with it at all?
        >
        > I just tried doing a search from our home in Cedar Park to my parent's
        > home in Victoria, TX using the absolute street addresses. It returned
        > this hit:
        >
        > new orleans, la to austin, TX "New Orleans, LA to Austin, TX via
        > I-10 and Hwy 71."
        >
        > Looks like its not ready for primetime. But still a start! w00t!
        > Hopefully this develops further so I can avoid stacking queries and
        > using arcs. :P

      • Cindy
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 28, 2006
          Thanks Nick for showing me this.  I'm going to Porter (North Houston) this weekend and just sat down to plan the route using arcs in GSAK.  Saw this and tried it, and it worked great!  No off course caches for me. Saved me lots of time and spared my brain from overload. :D   Very cool!

          Cindy
          CindyFrag

        • inspectorgadget@skywonders.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 28, 2006
            Except that that feature only works on page 1 of the map window. Clicking on page 2 or 3 in a dense area doesn't return the F or P with anything.

            Dan (inspectorgadget)

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 28, 2006
              Raine knows about that bug I think - he's introduced some nice new
              features recently that have really improved the site.

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, <inspectorgadget@...>
              wrote:

              > Except that that feature only works on page 1 of the map window.
              Clicking on page 2 or 3 in a dense area doesn't return the F or P with
              anything.

              > Dan (inspectorgadget)

            • Renee
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2006

                LOL…  I was right there as well on Thursday and Friday.  Drove to SA yesterday then drove to Austin today.  Ick…

                  I'm going to Porter (North Houston) this weekend

                Cindy

                CindyFrag

                .

              • Dick Young
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2006
                  I've a business trip to Porter soon. any suggestins for quick, 'coat
                  and tie' caches?
                  Cache on,
                  DY

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Renee" <zenfire@...>

                  <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714&grpId=6044839&grpspId=1600171288&msgId
                  > =16716&stime=1151537614>

                • Cindy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2, 2006
                    I'll be back on Wednseday and will take notes on which ones you can do "suited up"!

                    Cindy

                    wrote:

                    > LOL. I was right there as well on Thursday and Friday. Drove to SA
                    > yesterday then drove to Austin today. Ick.
                    >

                    > I'm going to Porter (North Houston) this weekend
                    >

                    > Cindy
                    >
                    > CindyFrag
                    >

                    > .

                  • Renee
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 3, 2006

                      I didn’t do any caching in Porter.  Unfortunately, I had other, more pressing business to attend to.  I did, however, do some in Magnolia if you go over that way.  I think the only one I would attempt without my grungies (or in a suit) is Nighty Night (GCKX6J).  That one is near Magnolia and if you’re driving could sort of be on your way home as it’s not too far from 290.

                      Zenfire

                      Renee

                      wrote:

                      > LOL. I was right there as well on Thursday and Friday. Drove to SA
                      > yesterday then drove to Austin today. Ick.
                      >

                      > I'm going to Porter (North Houston) this weekend
                      >

                      > Cindy
                      >
                      > CindyFrag
                      >

                      > .

                      <http://geo.yahoo. com/serv? s=97359714& grpId=6044839& grpspId=16001712 88&msgId
                      > =16716&stime= 1151537614>

                    • Candy Lind
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 3, 2006

                        I decided this needed to have its own thread. YOU TOO, CAN EDIT SUBJECT LINES AND REMOVE REDUNDANT LENGTH FROM YOUR POSTS!! (HINT HINT)

                        1. Dick, mda_taz and SEMIK's "Potato" caches that were placed for Wayne's 5K event are definitely coat and tie friendly, and none are over 2 miles off 290.
                        2. Wayne will be listing a new cache shortly in the same vicinity
                        3. I didn't get all the caches I wanted to hide placed in time for the event, but keep your eyes open because a trip east is pending in the next few days.
                        4. One of my hides will be a new multi starting in Giddings. Redirector will be coat and tie friendly but the final will be one where you'll want to come back ready for a bit of a hike.

                        TexasGal was a 290 corridor pioneer and I'm trying to follow in her footsteps! :D Speaking of which ...
                        5. Giddings Guilty is going to make a comeback and finders of the first incarnation will be welcome to come find the second.

                        Candy

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young" <rtyoungster@...> wrote:

                        > I've a business trip to Porter soon.  any suggestions for quick, 'coat
                        > and tie' caches?
                        > Cache on,
                        > DY

                      • Richard Young
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 3, 2006
                          Great news, It is surprising how fast I can get to
                          Houston without stopping for caches. I ready to slow
                          down! Thanks, I'll be on the lookout for the Giddings
                          hides.
                          Cache on!
                          DY

                          http://mail.yahoo.com