GC server issues?

  • dhadad
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
      Anyone notice that the GC.com server has been 'Too Busy' lately? Is it
      time for a server upgrade you think?

      Sorry to say this hobby/sport/passion/addiction is spreading!

      --Dan (Inspector Gadget)
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
        this "server busy" problem that wasn't a problem at the beginning of the month has become more than a slight annoyance. it seems this or another message pops up more than any other page when logged into GC.com. looks like they could use some server upgrades..and quickly too..

        on another note. I recently bought a garmin vistaC and am breaking it in. I was trying to remember what the software was called that would add more detailed maps, ie more identifiable roads...but since my aged brain cells are very few in number I can't remember what it's called..any help out there and where to get it?..thanks!!
        Keith aka BigDogg4

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
          I'm a Legend C user and I use Garmin's MapSource Citi Select
          NorthAmerica 6.0 (there's a 7.0 now). Not sure if that's what you
          were looking for, but I figured I'd at least get you pointed in the
          right direction.

          Also, if you look up your unit on www.garmin.com in the bottom right
          had corner of your unit's product page there should be a drop down
          listing of all the map software you can purchase from Garmin designed
          for your unit.

          hope that helps,
          Audra
          cachemeifyoucan327

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <kmillard@...>
          wrote:

          > this "server busy" problem that wasn't a problem at the beginning
          of the month has become more than a slight annoyance. it seems this
          or another message pops up more than any other page when logged into
          GC.com. looks like they could use some server upgrades..and quickly
          too..

          > on another note. I recently bought a garmin vistaC and am breaking
          it in. I was trying to remember what the software was called that
          would add more detailed maps, ie more identifiable roads...but since
          my aged brain cells are very few in number I can't remember what it's
          called..any help out there and where to get it?..thanks!!
          > Keith aka BigDogg4

        • Candy Lind
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006

            All the Garmin Products, on the individual unti product pages, have a drop-down box on the lower right side that lists all compatible MapSource software for that unit. Yours uses CitySelect.
            Stay away from MetroGuide because those products won't auto-route on your unit.

            Here's the VistaC page:
            http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVistac/

            Candy

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <kmillard@...> wrote:

            > this "server busy" problem that wasn't a problem at the beginning of the month has become more than a slight annoyance. it seems this or another message pops up more than any other page when logged into GC.com. looks like they could use some server upgrades..and quickly too..
            >
            > on another note. I recently bought a garmin vistaC and am breaking it in. I was trying to remember what the software was called that would add more detailed maps, ie more identifiable roads...but since my aged brain cells are very few in number I can't remember what it's called..any help out there and where to get it?..thanks!!
            > Keith aka BigDogg4

          • Keith
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
              thank you both for helping my aged brain remember..if this is what i'm looking for..it does have more than just the main roads available..I'm hoping...thanks again
              Keith

              wrote:

              > this "server busy" problem that wasn't a problem at the beginning
              of the month has become more than a slight annoyance. it seems this
              or another message pops up more than any other page when logged into
              GC.com. looks like they could use some server upgrades..and quickly
              too..

              > on another note. I recently bought a garmin vistaC and am breaking
              it in. I was trying to remember what the software was called that
              would add more detailed maps, ie more identifiable roads...but since
              my aged brain cells are very few in number I can't remember what it's
              called..any help out there and where to get it?..thanks!!
              > Keith aka BigDogg4

            • Keith
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
                I was also wondering if there was someplace I could get this for a reasonable price..seems a little pricey..
                Keith

                wrote:

                > this "server busy" problem that wasn't a problem at the beginning
                of the month has become more than a slight annoyance. it seems this
                or another message pops up more than any other page when logged into
                GC.com. looks like they could use some server upgrades..and quickly
                too..

                > on another note. I recently bought a garmin vistaC and am breaking
                it in. I was trying to remember what the software was called that
                would add more detailed maps, ie more identifiable roads...but since
                my aged brain cells are very few in number I can't remember what it's
                called..any help out there and where to get it?..thanks!!
                > Keith aka BigDogg4

              • Julie Perrine
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
                  Google the part number you can find on the Garmin site and look for a "bundle" that usually comes with a mount and a car power cord!  You'll want those things anyway, and the bundle is cheaper.
                  Julie

                  wrote:

                  > this "server busy" problem that wasn't a problem at the beginning
                  of the month has become more than a slight annoyance. it seems this
                  or another message pops up more than any other page when logged into
                  GC.com. looks like they could use some server upgrades..and quickly
                  too..

                  > on another note. I recently bought a garmin vistaC and am breaking
                  it in. I was trying to remember what the software was called that
                  would add more detailed maps, ie more identifiable roads...but since
                  my aged brain cells are very few in number I can't remember what it's
                  called..any help out there and where to get it?..thanks!!
                  > Keith aka BigDogg4

                • Barry Watson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
                    Message
                    ebay....

                    wrote:

                    > this "server busy" problem that wasn't a problem at the beginning
                    of the month has become more than a slight annoyance. it seems this
                    or another message pops up more than any other page when logged into
                    GC.com. looks like they could use some server upgrades..and quickly
                    too..

                    > on another note. I recently bought a garmin vistaC and am breaking
                    it in. I was trying to remember what the software was called that
                    would add more detailed maps, ie more identifiable roads...but since
                    my aged brain cells are very few in number I can't remember what it's
                    called..any help out there and where to get it?..thanks!!
                    > Keith aka BigDogg4

                  • Keith
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 29, 2006
                      I can't seem to locate the part number for city select..it's there for navigator and the others I looked at, but there is no pricing and availability box for the city select..soooo if someone just has the part number hangin around I'd be grateful..thanks for all y'alls help out there..
                      Keith

                      wrote:

                      > this "server busy" problem that wasn't a problem at the beginning
                      of the month has become more than a slight annoyance. it seems this
                      or another message pops up more than any other page when logged into
                      GC.com. looks like they could use some server upgrades..and quickly
                      too..

                      > on another note. I recently bought a garmin vistaC and am breaking
                      it in. I was trying to remember what the software was called that
                      would add more detailed maps, ie more identifiable roads...but since
                      my aged brain cells are very few in number I can't remember what it's
                      called..any help out there and where to get it?..thanks!!
                      > Keith aka BigDogg4

                    • mzmotomania
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 30, 2006
                        I've found Walmart to be a premier place to get GPS stuff cheaper.

                        <kmillard@...> wrote:

                        > I was also wondering if there was someplace I could get this for a
                        reasonable price..seems a little pricey..
                        > Keith

                        Terms
                        > of Service.

                        -----
                        > ----------

                        of Service.

                        -----------

                      • mzmotomania
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 30, 2006
                          Keith,

                          I am looking to update my software for my Vista C as well. I've
                          priced the GPS 18 which comes with the software on both Ebay &
                          Walmart. "At this time" I've found that Walmart.com is cheaper. I
                          have not been to the store in awhile so I have not looked to see if
                          they have them on site. However, make sure you check the details
                          portion on the item. I saw some GPS 18s on Ebay, but it did not
                          have the City Select. It is also my understanding that if you were
                          to buy a "bundle" of anything that has an old version of the
                          software, Garmin will upgrade at no cost. I'm sure the more
                          ADVANCED cachers can explain that.

                          Don't get me wrong, you might luck out on Ebay and get exactly what
                          you want. I'm an Ebayer, but I'm also impatient. I don't want to
                          wait for that "right" one to come along. :) Especially since I
                          have a few Walmart gift cards laying around.

                          Good luck in your search!

                          <kmillard@...> wrote:

                          > I can't seem to locate the part number for city select..it's there
                          for navigator and the others I looked at, but there is no pricing
                          and availability box for the city select..soooo if someone just has
                          the part number hangin around I'd be grateful..thanks for all y'alls
                          help out there..
                          > Keith

                          Yahoo! Terms
                          > of Service.

                          ---------
                          > ----------

                          > c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                          Terms of Service.

                          of Service.

                          -----------

                        • Keith
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 31, 2006
                            good afternoon,

                                I have found on ebay..since that's where I spe4nd alot of time while not at work..a city select for 107.50 on a buy it now..that is the lowest I've found on ebay..I did find one at 105 but they were out of stock..I'm still looking.. thanks for all of your input..

                            <kmillard@...> wrote:

                            > I can't seem to locate the part number for city select..it's there
                            for navigator and the others I looked at, but there is no pricing
                            and availability box for the city select..soooo if someone just has
                            the part number hangin around I'd be grateful..thanks for all y'alls
                            help out there..
                            > Keith

                          • mzmotomania
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 31, 2006
                              FYI - $102.21 with the GPS18 @ Walmart.

                              <kmillard@...> wrote:

                              > good afternoon,
                              >
                              > I have found on ebay..since that's where I spe4nd alot of time
                              while not at work..a city select for 107.50 on a buy it now..that is
                              the lowest I've found on ebay..I did find one at 105 but they were
                              out of stock..I'm still looking.. thanks for all of your input..

                              > Keith

                              Terms
                              > of Service.

                              ----
                              > -----------

                              of Service.

                              -----------

                            • Keith
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 31, 2006
                                walmart.com or the actual store...here I've only seen handheld gps's..maybe i'm not looking in the right spot
                                >     I have found on ebay..since that's where I spe4nd alot of time
                                while not at work..a city select for 107.50 on a buy it now..that is
                                the lowest I've found on ebay..I did find one at 105 but they were
                                out of stock..I'm still looking.. thanks for all of your input..

                                > Keith

                                Terms
                                >   of Service.
                                >   >
                                >   >
                                >   > ---------------------------------------------------------------
                                ----
                                >   -----------
                                >   >

                                of Service.

                                -----------

                              • Nick Silkey
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 31, 2006
                                  FYI, Wal-Mart stores will _not_ honor walmart.com prices.

                                  On 3/31/06, Keith <kmillard@...> wrote:

                                  > walmart.com or the actual store...here I've only seen handheld gps's..maybe
                                  > i'm not looking in the right spot

                                • mzmotomania
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 31, 2006
                                    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3283146

                                    They may not honor online prices @ the store, but you can still save
                                    a little $$. I have found some items priced the same whether they
                                    were in store or online. Depending on the Ebay item you have to pay
                                    for shipping as you would with walmart.com. Just trying to help. ;)

                                    <kmillard@...> wrote:

                                    > walmart.com or the actual store...here I've only seen handheld
                                    gps's..maybe i'm not looking in the right spot

                                    Terms
                                    > of Service.

                                    ----

                                    of Service.

                                  • Keith
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 1 3:58 AM
                                      and I thank you for all of the help you've given..;-))

                                      <kmillard@...> wrote:

                                      > walmart.com or the actual store...here I've only seen handheld
                                      gps's..maybe i'm not looking in the right spot

                                      Terms