Re: SkySite

  • B...
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
      The coords are limited to one decimal point of a degree so searchers
      will have an idea of where the SOGs are. Searchers are assigned
      SOGs to recover on a first come - first serve basis (based on email
      reception data/time). Once assigned a SOG, the searcher gets the
      full coordinates...

      Now, if you're good, you don't need those extra numbers.... ;-)

      Barry
      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Silkey"
      <nsilkey@...> wrote:

      > My question is this:
      >
      > Does SkySite only provide XX.X, XX.X coordinates to searchers
      seeking
      > SOGs? With coordinates such as these, SOG searchers could need to
      > search a 36,000 x 36,000 foot area (as per my math).
      >
      > Or are more precise coordinates given to those who ask to begin
      recovery?

      > On 3/1/06, B... <bcwatson@...> wrote:
      > > When the balloon drifts out of the desired coverage area, a
      signal
      > > is sent to release the balloon and deploy a parachute. When the
      > > package touches down, it transmits its coordinates to the next
      > > package and that is relayed back to the company which then has
      the
      > > list of downed packages updated. Then they need skilled GPS
      users
      > > to retrieve the packages....
      > >
      > > Barry
      > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Barb Jernigan
      > > <gumbietygress@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > And sometimes their balloons wear out?
      > > > You are communicating with the ignorant here.

      > > device to

      > > SkySites

      > > very

      Of
      > > Russ

      > > patch

      > > > @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
      > > > You do not really understand something unless you can explain
      it
      > > to your
      > > > grandmother. --Albert Einstein
      > > > ...every mechanical device ever built understands Assembler
      coding,
      > > > especially when spoken in a strong ballpeen accent. --R.
      Clayton

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
        ah! Glad to know my assumptions are within the ball park.
        Thanks!