Re: SkySite

  • B...
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
      When the balloon drifts out of the desired coverage area, a signal
      is sent to release the balloon and deploy a parachute. When the
      package touches down, it transmits its coordinates to the next
      package and that is relayed back to the company which then has the
      list of downed packages updated. Then they need skilled GPS users
      to retrieve the packages....

      Barry
      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Barb Jernigan
      <gumbietygress@...> wrote:

      > And sometimes their balloons wear out?
      > You are communicating with the ignorant here.
      >
      > On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 17:01:04 -0000 "B..." <bcwatson@...>
      > writes:
      > > It isn't a measuring device. It is a communications relay
      device to

      > > extend the communications range of users on the ground.
      > >
      > > Barry
      > >
      > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Barb Jernigan
      > > <gumbietygress@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Sez the cactus: I caught it, I want to KEEP it!!!
      > > > What WAS the instrument package measuring, do you know?
      SkySites
      > > are a
      > > > new concept to me.
      > > >
      > > > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:46:50 -0600 "Barry Watson"
      > > > <bcwatson@> writes:
      > > > Yep...
      > > > I just remembered... coming back to our truck, I laid that
      > > package on my
      > > > lap.
      > > > On the way home I put it in the back on the floor. Then I
      > > realized I had
      > > > something
      > > > sticking me on my thigh. I found and pulled out a very thin,
      very

      > > short
      > > > "something"....
      > > > I only later realized what I had done and how lucky I was not
      > > wind up
      > > > with a lap full
      > > > of cactus spines... lol....
      > > >
      > > > Barry
      Russ
      > > > Jernigan
      > > > Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 8:14 AM
      > > > To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      > > > Subject: RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: SkySite
      > > >

      > > > I see that the instrument package made a bullseye on a nice
      patch

      > > of
      > > > prickley pear!
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
      > You do not really understand something unless you can explain it
      to your
      > grandmother. --Albert Einstein
      > @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
      > ...every mechanical device ever built understands Assembler coding,
      > especially when spoken in a strong ballpeen accent. --R. Clayton
      McKee

    • Nick Silkey
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
        My question is this:

        Does SkySite only provide XX.X, XX.X coordinates to searchers seeking
        SOGs? With coordinates such as these, SOG searchers could need to
        search a 36,000 x 36,000 foot area (as per my math).

        Or are more precise coordinates given to those who ask to begin recovery?

        Nick Silkey
        a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
        N30 28.2' W097 46.6'
      • B...
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
          The coords are limited to one decimal point of a degree so searchers
          will have an idea of where the SOGs are. Searchers are assigned
          SOGs to recover on a first come - first serve basis (based on email
          reception data/time). Once assigned a SOG, the searcher gets the
          full coordinates...

          Now, if you're good, you don't need those extra numbers.... ;-)

          Barry
          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Silkey"

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
            ah! Glad to know my assumptions are within the ball park.
            Thanks!