Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Mac compatibility

  • Nick Silkey
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
      Garmin recently announced that they will be working on providing
      support for the Mac OSX users out there. This is undoubtedly due to
      market pressure by consumers. Do your part and contact Garmin
      clamoring for expedited OSX support. More info can be had at
      http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/corporate/011006.html.

      FWIW, some people use Virtual PC under OSX to interface with their
      GPSr. This is kludgy, and a better alternative has to exist. I am in
      the dark though as I, like lcotton, use Windows-based computers to
      cache with.

      On 2/28/06, peter williams <pwms@...> wrote:
      > Thanks so much for the suggestions. What about software? I hope to get up to speed soon
      > and stop asking so many newbie questions. In the meantime, I appreciate your
      >
      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Lary Cotten <lcotten@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Pretty much ANY usb serial adapter out there will work. I have the
      > > Keyspan PDA adapter, which despite the name, is just a straight up
      > > USB serial port that works with MAC or PC. I've also used three other
      > > -generic- USB serial adapters from Fry's, and they all work with my
      > > powerbook. The ones that include or have available MAC drivers are
      > > well labeled as such with an OSX logo.
      > >
      > > From what I've found, even the seemingly non-mac compatible ones
      > > actually work fine if you get the right driver from the company who
      > > makes the actual chip inside, but perhaps that's more than you need
      > > to know for the moment.
      > >

      > > On Feb 27, 2006, at 12:28 PM, peter williams wrote:
      > >
      > > > After we stumbled onto a cache on the greenbelt without a GPS we
      > > > dug into the subject of
      > > > geocaching and within a couple of weeks my family was so excited
      > > > that they got me a Garmin
      > > > etrex Legend. We've been geocaching for the last couple of weekends
      > > > and enjoying it
      > > > immensely.
      > > >
      > > > I was really suprised to see that the unit came packaged with a 9-
      > > > pin serial connector. Isn't
      > > > that old fashioned even for a PC? Upon seeing that, I realized that
      > > > Garmin must not support
      > > > the Mac OS. After a phone call Garmin told me that they will within
      > > > a year. Where does that
      > > > leave me in the meantime?
      > > >
      > > > Is there some software that I could use with a 9-pin serial to USB
      > > > adapter for downloading
      > > > waypoints?
      > > >
      > > > What about maps?
      > > >
      > > > Also, is it possible to find used software for maps for my unit?
      > > > I'd like to get a copy of
      > > > MetroGuide North America v7.
      > > >
      > > > Finally, I'd like to find topo maps for Texas.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks in advance//Peter

      Nick Silkey
      a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
      N30 28.2' W097 46.6'
    • peter williams
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
        Thanks again for all of the responses regarding Mac interface with my
        Garmin unit. I'm checking out MacGPSbabel and GPS Connect. I can
        connect with both. I've uploaded way points to my GPS with both
        (apparently), but I don't see any of the new waypoints on my GPS.
        I've still got to figure out exactly what I'm doing here.
        Instructions are vague in some respects and this is all new to me.
        The serial to USB cable from Fry's makes a connection without a
        hitch//Peter Williams (Melquiades)