Mac compatibility

  • peter williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 27, 2006
      After we stumbled onto a cache on the greenbelt without a GPS we dug into the subject of
      geocaching and within a couple of weeks my family was so excited that they got me a Garmin
      etrex Legend. We've been geocaching for the last couple of weekends and enjoying it
      immensely.

      I was really suprised to see that the unit came packaged with a 9-pin serial connector. Isn't
      that old fashioned even for a PC? Upon seeing that, I realized that Garmin must not support
      the Mac OS. After a phone call Garmin told me that they will within a year. Where does that
      leave me in the meantime?

      Is there some software that I could use with a 9-pin serial to USB adapter for downloading
      waypoints?

      What about maps?

      Also, is it possible to find used software for maps for my unit? I'd like to get a copy of
      MetroGuide North America v7.

      Finally, I'd like to find topo maps for Texas.

      Thanks in advance//Peter
    • Lary Cotten
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 27, 2006
        Pretty much ANY usb serial adapter out there will work. I have the Keyspan PDA adapter, which despite the name, is just a straight up USB serial port that works with MAC or PC. I've also used three other -generic- USB serial adapters from Fry's, and they all work with my powerbook. The ones that include or have available MAC drivers are well labeled as such with an OSX logo.

        From what I've found, even the seemingly non-mac compatible ones actually work fine if you get the right driver from the company who makes the actual chip inside, but perhaps that's more than you need to know for the moment.

        On Feb 27, 2006, at 12:28 PM, peter williams wrote:

[...]

        City park rental vacation Central texas real estate City park hotel sant just
        Central texas college online Central texas college distance learning Outdoors

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • peter williams
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2006
          Thanks so much for the suggestions. What about software? I hope to get up to speed soon
          and stop asking so many newbie questions. In the meantime, I appreciate your

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Lary Cotten <lcotten@...> wrote:

          > Pretty much ANY usb serial adapter out there will work. I have the
          > Keyspan PDA adapter, which despite the name, is just a straight up
          > USB serial port that works with MAC or PC. I've also used three other
          > -generic- USB serial adapters from Fry's, and they all work with my
          > powerbook. The ones that include or have available MAC drivers are
          > well labeled as such with an OSX logo.
          >
          > From what I've found, even the seemingly non-mac compatible ones
          > actually work fine if you get the right driver from the company who
          > makes the actual chip inside, but perhaps that's more than you need
          > to know for the moment.
          >

          > On Feb 27, 2006, at 12:28 PM, peter williams wrote:
          >
          > > After we stumbled onto a cache on the greenbelt without a GPS we
          > > dug into the subject of
          > > geocaching and within a couple of weeks my family was so excited
          > > that they got me a Garmin
          > > etrex Legend. We've been geocaching for the last couple of weekends
          > > and enjoying it
          > > immensely.
          > >
          > > I was really suprised to see that the unit came packaged with a 9-
          > > pin serial connector. Isn't
          > > that old fashioned even for a PC? Upon seeing that, I realized that
          > > Garmin must not support
          > > the Mac OS. After a phone call Garmin told me that they will within
          > > a year. Where does that
          > > leave me in the meantime?
          > >
          > > Is there some software that I could use with a 9-pin serial to USB
          > > adapter for downloading
          > > waypoints?
          > >
          > > What about maps?
          > >
          > > Also, is it possible to find used software for maps for my unit?
          > > I'd like to get a copy of
          > > MetroGuide North America v7.
          > >
          > > Finally, I'd like to find topo maps for Texas.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance//Peter
        • Lary Cotten
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 28, 2006
            OK, now I'm in the fuzzy territory, since I usually load the GPS from
            one of my PC's. So, this info may be way out of date.
            There is a program called "GPS Connect" that's been in beta version
            0.2 for almost three years. It should talk to the etrex just fine,
            and it will save and load GPX waypoint files. It's from http://
            www.chimoosoft.com. Hope that get's you started. If anyone has better
            info, speak up now.

          • alan@alancurry.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 28, 2006
              Well... I might as well put a plug in for my favorite piece of software.
              GPSBabel. http://www.gpsbabel.org Used by GSAK and Google Earth. Runs on
              Windows, Linux, OSX and your kitchen sink. There is a MacGPSBabel gui in the
              download section. It's only available for GPSBabel 1.2.5 though. If all you're
              doing is transfering waypoints then it should work just fine.

              Alan

              Quoting Lary Cotten:

              > OK, now I'm in the fuzzy territory, since I usually load the GPS from
              > one of my PC's. So, this info may be way out of date.
              > There is a program called "GPS Connect" that's been in beta version
              > 0.2 for almost three years. It should talk to the etrex just fine,
              > and it will save and load GPX waypoint files. It's from http://
              > www.chimoosoft.com. Hope that get's you started. If anyone has better
              > info, speak up now.
              >

              > On Feb 28, 2006, at 9:27 AM, peter williams wrote:
              >
              >> Thanks so much for the suggestions. What about software? I hope to
              >> get up to speed soon
              >> and stop asking so many newbie questions. In the meantime, I
              >> appreciate your
              >>
              >> --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Lary Cotten
              >> <lcotten@...> wrote:
              >> >
              >> > Pretty much ANY usb serial adapter out there will work. I have the
              >> > Keyspan PDA adapter, which despite the name, is just a straight up
              >> > USB serial port that works with MAC or PC. I've also used three
              >> other
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Nick Silkey
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
                Garmin recently announced that they will be working on providing
                support for the Mac OSX users out there. This is undoubtedly due to
                market pressure by consumers. Do your part and contact Garmin
                clamoring for expedited OSX support. More info can be had at
                http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/corporate/011006.html.

                FWIW, some people use Virtual PC under OSX to interface with their
                GPSr. This is kludgy, and a better alternative has to exist. I am in
                the dark though as I, like lcotton, use Windows-based computers to
                cache with.

                On 2/28/06, peter williams <pwms@...> wrote:
                > Thanks so much for the suggestions. What about software? I hope to get up to speed soon
                > and stop asking so many newbie questions. In the meantime, I appreciate your
                >
                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Lary Cotten <lcotten@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Pretty much ANY usb serial adapter out there will work. I have the
                > > Keyspan PDA adapter, which despite the name, is just a straight up
                > > USB serial port that works with MAC or PC. I've also used three other
                > > -generic- USB serial adapters from Fry's, and they all work with my
                > > powerbook. The ones that include or have available MAC drivers are
                > > well labeled as such with an OSX logo.
                > >
                > > From what I've found, even the seemingly non-mac compatible ones
                > > actually work fine if you get the right driver from the company who
                > > makes the actual chip inside, but perhaps that's more than you need
                > > to know for the moment.
                > >

                > > On Feb 27, 2006, at 12:28 PM, peter williams wrote:
                > >
                > > > After we stumbled onto a cache on the greenbelt without a GPS we
                > > > dug into the subject of
                > > > geocaching and within a couple of weeks my family was so excited
                > > > that they got me a Garmin
                > > > etrex Legend. We've been geocaching for the last couple of weekends
                > > > and enjoying it
                > > > immensely.
                > > >
                > > > I was really suprised to see that the unit came packaged with a 9-
                > > > pin serial connector. Isn't
                > > > that old fashioned even for a PC? Upon seeing that, I realized that
                > > > Garmin must not support
                > > > the Mac OS. After a phone call Garmin told me that they will within
                > > > a year. Where does that
                > > > leave me in the meantime?
                > > >
                > > > Is there some software that I could use with a 9-pin serial to USB
                > > > adapter for downloading
                > > > waypoints?
                > > >
                > > > What about maps?
                > > >
                > > > Also, is it possible to find used software for maps for my unit?
                > > > I'd like to get a copy of
                > > > MetroGuide North America v7.
                > > >
                > > > Finally, I'd like to find topo maps for Texas.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks in advance//Peter

                Nick Silkey
                a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
                N30 28.2' W097 46.6'
              • peter williams
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
                  Thanks again for all of the responses regarding Mac interface with my
                  Garmin unit. I'm checking out MacGPSbabel and GPS Connect. I can
                  connect with both. I've uploaded way points to my GPS with both
                  (apparently), but I don't see any of the new waypoints on my GPS.
                  I've still got to figure out exactly what I'm doing here.
                  Instructions are vague in some respects and this is all new to me.
                  The serial to USB cable from Fry's makes a connection without a
                  hitch//Peter Williams (Melquiades)