RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: GSAK Question

  • Wayne Lind
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 26, 2006
      We call that a PBCK error. Problem Between Chair and Keyboard.
      From: Julie Perrine <mrscaptainpicard@...>
      Date: Monday, February 27, 2006 11:56 am
      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com

      > My most recent "My Finds" pull from GC only had 3,000 some
      > waypoints in it.
      > Much fewer than actual.  That suggests that their own database may
      > be having
      > issues or their query tool is malfunctioning.  But yes, I'm sure
      > the Forum
      > has something about it if its real.
      > Julie
      > Mrs. Captain Picard
      >

      > On 2/27/06, thediver78613 <alan@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > *Disclaimer: I don't use GSAK.
      > >
      > > However the last time I checked, GSAK uses DBF databases aka DBase
      > > (xBase) databases, of which I haven't used since the early 90's (I
      > > digress). Anyway, if it holds true since then, the databases
      > need to
      > > be maintained every so often or the indexes can become out of
      > sync. I
      > > believe there is a compact or maintain database within GSAK. I'd
      run
      > > it after backing up the database files first and see what
      > happens. If
      > > that doesn't help then I'd check the gc.com forums.
      > >
      > > Just a thought.
      > >
      > > Alan
      > >
      > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Wyman"
      > > <cwymanjr@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello fellow geeks,
      > > >
      > > > I seem to be experiencing an on-going problems with my GSAK.
      > For the
      > > > past several weeks, I have not seen any NEW caches get added
      > to the
      > > > database when I load the latest pocket queries.  I am
      > wondering if you
      > > > know of a record limit of some sort.  I have 578 found, 48
      > owned, 70
      > > > that are pink, and 774 that are white (not found).  I am just
      > wondering> > if I need to purge the found records.
      > > >
      > > > I noticed this the other night when going after some of them
      > there geese
      > > > caches.  I got out past freakin' Manor and realized my gpsr
      > didn't have
      > > > but the first 23 and I had re-sync'd before going out!  After
      > trying> > about 4 more queries into gsak, I still don't have them
      > in there.
      > > >
      > > > I'd kind of like to keep them all in the default database (all
      > within a
      > > > 100 mi radius of home) and NOT purge.  If you have any
      > knowledge of
      > > > what's going on, please pass it on.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks!!!
      > > > Live Long and Prosper!
      > > > May The Force Be With You!
      > > >
      > > > Stratman (Curtis)

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • palbers@austin.rr.com

        > My most recent "My Finds" pull from GC only had 3,000 some
        > waypoints in it.
        > Much fewer than actual. That suggests that their own database may
        > be having
        > issues or their query tool is malfunctioning. But yes, I'm sure
        > the Forum
        > has something about it if its real.
        > Julie
        > Mrs. Captain Picard
        >

        > On 2/27/06, thediver78613 <alan@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > *Disclaimer: I don't use GSAK.
        > >
        > > However the last time I checked, GSAK uses DBF databases aka DBase
        > > (xBase) databases, of which I haven't used since the early 90's (I
        > > digress). Anyway, if it holds true since then, the databases
        > need to
        > > be maintained every so often or the indexes can become out of
        > sync. I
        > > believe there is a compact or maintain database within GSAK. I'd
        run
        > > it after backing up the database files first and see what
        > happens. If
        > > that doesn't help then I'd check the gc.com forums.
        > >
        > > Just a thought.
        > >
        > > Alan
        > >
        > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Wyman"
        > > <cwymanjr@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hello fellow geeks,
        > > >
        > > > I seem to be experiencing an on-going problems with my GSAK.
        > For the
        > > > past several weeks, I have not seen any NEW caches get added
        > to the
        > > > database when I load the latest pocket queries. I am
        > wondering if you
        > > > know of a record limit of some sort. I have 578 found, 48
        > owned, 70
        > > > that are pink, and 774 that are white (not found). I am just
        > wondering> > if I need to purge the found records.
        > > >
        > > > I noticed this the other night when going after some of them
        > there geese
        > > > caches. I got out past freakin' Manor and realized my gpsr
        > didn't have
        > > > but the first 23 and I had re-sync'd before going out! After
        > trying> > about 4 more queries into gsak, I still don't have them
        > in there.
        > > >
        > > > I'd kind of like to keep them all in the default database (all
        > within a
        > > > 100 mi radius of home) and NOT purge. If you have any
        > knowledge of
        > > > what's going on, please pass it on.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks!!!
        > > > Live Long and Prosper!
        > > > May The Force Be With You!
        > > >
        > > > Stratman (Curtis)

      • Curtis Wyman

          > My most recent "My Finds" pull from GC only had 3,000 some
          > waypoints in it.
          > Much fewer than actual. That suggests that their own database may
          > be having
          > issues or their query tool is malfunctioning. But yes, I'm sure
          > the Forum
          > has something about it if its real.
          > Julie
          > Mrs. Captain Picard
          >

          > On 2/27/06, thediver78613 <alan@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > *Disclaimer: I don't use GSAK.
          > >
          > > However the last time I checked, GSAK uses DBF databases aka DBase
          > > (xBase) databases, of which I haven't used since the early 90's (I
          > > digress). Anyway, if it holds true since then, the databases
          > need to
          > > be maintained every so often or the indexes can become out of
          > sync. I
          > > believe there is a compact or maintain database within GSAK. I'd
          run
          > > it after backing up the database files first and see what
          > happens. If
          > > that doesn't help then I'd check the gc.com forums.
          > >
          > > Just a thought.
          > >
          > > Alan
          > >
          > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Wyman"
          > > <cwymanjr@...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hello fellow geeks,
          > > >
          > > > I seem to be experiencing an on-going problems with my GSAK.
          > For the
          > > > past several weeks, I have not seen any NEW caches get added
          > to the
          > > > database when I load the latest pocket queries. I am
          > wondering if you
          > > > know of a record limit of some sort. I have 578 found, 48
          > owned, 70
          > > > that are pink, and 774 that are white (not found). I am just
          > wondering> > if I need to purge the found records.
          > > >
          > > > I noticed this the other night when going after some of them
          > there geese
          > > > caches. I got out past freakin' Manor and realized my gpsr
          > didn't have
          > > > but the first 23 and I had re-sync'd before going out! After
          > trying> > about 4 more queries into gsak, I still don't have them
          > in there.
          > > >
          > > > I'd kind of like to keep them all in the default database (all
          > within a
          > > > 100 mi radius of home) and NOT purge. If you have any
          > knowledge of
          > > > what's going on, please pass it on.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks!!!
          > > > Live Long and Prosper!
          > > > May The Force Be With You!
          > > >
          > > > Stratman (Curtis)

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • mzmotomania
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 27, 2006
            Strat,

            I currently have 410 found, 0 owned, 96 offline & a total of 1873 in
            just my default database.

            Maybe the problem is you overloaded your system with puzzle caches.
            HAHAHAHAHA j/k

            Leslie

            <cwymanjr@...> wrote:

            > Hello fellow geeks,
            >
            > I seem to be experiencing an on-going problems with my GSAK. For
            the
            > past several weeks, I have not seen any NEW caches get added to the
            > database when I load the latest pocket queries. I am wondering if
            you
            > know of a record limit of some sort. I have 578 found, 48 owned,
            70
            > that are pink, and 774 that are white (not found). I am just
            wondering
            > if I need to purge the found records.
            >
            > I noticed this the other night when going after some of them there
            geese
            > caches. I got out past freakin' Manor and realized my gpsr didn't
            have
            > but the first 23 and I had re-sync'd before going out! After
            trying
            > about 4 more queries into gsak, I still don't have them in there.
            >
            > I'd kind of like to keep them all in the default database (all
            within a
            > 100 mi radius of home) and NOT purge. If you have any knowledge of
            > what's going on, please pass it on.
            >
            > Thanks!!!
            > Live Long and Prosper!
            > May The Force Be With You!
            >
            > Stratman (Curtis)

          • Candy Lind
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 27, 2006
              Curtis, I would go back and double check the options you have checked
              in the "load GPX/LOC file" options box. Sounds to me like you may have
              accidentally changed the database update option to "existing only" ...
              which means it would never add anything.

              For a long time I didn't take the time to read explanations for those
              options in the help files; you can do an awful lot with them, INCLUDING
              WIPING YOUR DATABASE COMPLETELY OUT! But you can also combine multiple
              persons' queries to get a list of caches that none of you have found in
              a given area (for Geo-Herding), you can completely refresh your
              database every time you load files (what? you actually might WANT to
              wipe all the data??), and who knows what else.

              Candy

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 27, 2006
                Thanks again to all who offered assistance here and via my inbox. I
                solved it. I didn't realize there were so many caches around here! It
                turned out that there are over 500 within about a 16 mile radius. I was
                asking for ALL, not just ones I had not found (yes, I have a good
                reason...). When I limited it to the ones I hadn't found, then I was
                able to pick up a lot more, including the entire swarm of geese. PBCK =
                ID-ten-T = me = stupid.

                Curtis (StupidMan)

                <cwymanjr@...> wrote:

                > Hello fellow geeks,
                >
                > I seem to be experiencing an on-going problems with my GSAK ...

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Nick Silkey
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 1, 2006
                  Man, I thought I was the only one who used the Eye Dee Ten Tee meme. Props!

                  On 2/27/06, Curtis Wyman <cwymanjr@...> wrote:
                  > Thanks again to all who offered assistance here and via my inbox. I
                  > solved it. I didn't realize there were so many caches around here! It
                  > turned out that there are over 500 within about a 16 mile radius. I was
                  > asking for ALL, not just ones I had not found (yes, I have a good
                  > reason...). When I limited it to the ones I hadn't found, then I was
                  > able to pick up a lot more, including the entire swarm of geese. PBCK =
                  > ID-ten-T = me = stupid.
                  >
                  > Curtis (StupidMan)

                  Nick Silkey
                  a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
                  N30 28.2' W097 46.6'
                • Bill Ellis
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 9 8:55 AM
                    I was curious to know why some caches names in my GSAK database are bold and others are not.

                    --
                    ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                    Bill
                    a.k.a ZionZR2
                    512-789-1469
                    <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

                  • Mark Benson
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 9 9:20 AM
                      I was curious to know why some caches names in my GSAK database are bold and others are not.

                      In GSAK, waypoint names that are bold are ones that have a child waypoint attached to them such as a suggested parking spot, trail head, etc.

                      Mark
                      (BewareOfPenguin)
                    • Bill Ellis
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 9 9:30 AM
                        Ah I C!!!   Thanks Much!

                        On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Mark Benson <bewareofpenguin@...> wrote:

                        I was curious to know why some caches names in my GSAK database are bold and others are not.

                        In GSAK, waypoint names that are bold are ones that have a child waypoint attached to them such as a suggested parking spot, trail head, etc.

                        Mark
                        (BewareOfPenguin)

                        --
                        ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                        Bill
                        a.k.a ZionZR2
                        512-789-1469
                        <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

                      • Bill Ellis
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 13, 2012
                          I was wondering if I could set a sort by column individually for each database.  For example on the My Finds database I would like it to sort by date (Soonest at Top & Automatically)
                          And for my Not Found databases I would like to sort by distance (nearest at top & Automatically)

                          This would save me from having to manually clicking the column I want to sort by each time I switch to that database.

                          Does any one know if this is possible and if so how to accomplish it?

                          Thanks

                          --
                          ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                          Bill
                          a.k.a ZionZR2
                          512-789-1469
                          <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
                        • Melanie
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 13, 2012
                            Choose the Database menu item and then Properties. Set your sort sequence for that database there.

                            Melanie
                            (ACCLanMan)

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:

                            > I was wondering if I could set a sort by column individually for each
                            > database. For example on the My Finds database I would like it to sort by
                            > date (Soonest at Top & Automatically)
                            > And for my Not Found databases I would like to sort by distance (nearest at
                            > top & Automatically)
                            >
                            > This would save me from having to manually clicking the column I want to
                            > sort by each time I switch to that database.
                            >
                            > Does any one know if this is possible and if so how to accomplish it?
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > --
                            > ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                            > Bill