Re: Charter Memberships

  • txhipowr
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 20, 2002
      I just mailed in my check yesterday. I have been wondering how long
      t-shirts, travel bugs, and donations was going to keep geocaching.com
      afloat. I know a lot of people seem to think that if they find
      something on the web that it's "free", but websites can be expensive
      to maintain, especially popular ones with high traffic and
      downloading of data. Jeremy has done a great job at keeping the site
      up and running and providing a steady stream of improvements and new
      features over time.

      Personally, I didn't need any "charter member" benefits to entice me
      to send in money. I get far more enjoyment and exercise geocaching
      than going to a movie at $7 a pop. Hell, I spend $30 a year on AA
      batteries and I don't even want to think what geocaching has done to
      my gasoline budget!

      I am also concerned about "member only" caches and hope that it
      doesn't come to that locally. Reading in the forums I see where other
      areas around the country have had problems with vandalism and
      malicious mischief directed at even well hidden caches, as if someone
      was purposely looking up caches in their area and going out and
      damaging them. Maybe "pay for view" caches will be the answer for
      that type of problem.

      Lou Catozzi
      TxHiPowr @ bigfoot.com

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@y..., "tlane3of6" <tlane3of6@y...>
      wrote:
      > So what's the local feelings about the new optional fee's at
      > Geocaching.com?
      >
      > Personally, I have mixed feelings. I understand that the cost to
      > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
      > shirt and hat sales. On the other hand, I don't see
      > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
      >
      > As a practical matter, we haven't lost anything. Jeremy has always
      > said that we will 'never' have to PAY to PLAY and its still true.
      > We can still do everything that we've become used to. (Although,
      > unrelated to any fees I just realized that javascripts are
      disabled.

      > Two months ago, I didn't even know what that was. If you had a
      > chance to see "A Wee Bit of Fun" cache before, you know that I
      made
      > a leapt and learned how to copy and paste javascripts.)
      >
      > If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
      > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
      > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months.
      > don't see us ever wanting to hide a cache for 'memebers only'.
      >
      > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't. Interested
      > in sharing your opinions?
      >
      > Tom
    • Daniel McGauley
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 20, 2002
        Kim and I went ahead and paid the membership fee, mainly to support
        geocaching. If geocaching.com ever goes away or Jeremy doesn't think it's
        worth the headache to maintain it, it will be very hard for the sport to
        continue as successfully as it has been. I know they aren't providing many
        extra features right now, but if a lot of people pay the membership fee I'm
        sure Jeremy will have more resources to devote to developing new ideas. In
        theory I like the members-only caches. Kim and I are planning a large
        adventure-style cache for the fall (gotta love Halloween), that has a couple
        hundred dollars worth of effort thrown at it (you'll see), and we might want
        to just let members hunt for it to make sure only geocachers that are really
        into the sport go looking for it. However, if most of our geocaching
        friends aren't members we won't go that route. It's just nice to have an
        option to only hide caches for people who have paid money to be a member,
        thereby getting rid of some hunters who might have bad intentions. I doubt
        we'll ever use the members-only cache feature, but it's encouraging to see
        new features. I'd love to have a buddy-list on my geocache login page where
        I can have quick links to the Austin-regulars. If I want to see if
        Threelanes has passed 1000 finds yet, I have to hunt it down right now.
        Hopefully paying the membership fee will get these types of features coming
        quicker in the future. I spend about $20 a week in gas hunting for caches,
        so $30/year to support the site seemed small in comparison! -Dan, Kim, and
        Ryan
      • geocaching
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 21, 2002
          RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Charter Memberships

          I would gladly pay $30 a year to keep geocaching.com on the internet.  If I'm correct Jeremy works for an online clothing store and they are nice enough to use allow Jeremy access to their server.  The geocaching.com web site looks like it can not be hosted on one of those $20 a month plans.  It looks like he needs a dedicated server for the database and such.  This would cost any of us between $100-$500 a month!  Geocaching.com has proven to me that it is the king daddy of all geocaching sites.  If it goes bye-bye we might go bye-bye also.  I don't have a problem paying a small yearly fee to help keep something that I like and enjoy on the internet.  As we have all seen free web sites can only generate a small amount of money by advertising but they have to change their business plan to generate income or even stay online.

          Adamjrae and family

          wrote:
          > So what's the local feelings about the new optional fee's at
          > Geocaching.com?
          >
          > Personally, I have mixed feelings.  I understand that the cost to
          > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
          > shirt and hat sales.  On the other hand, I don't see
          > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
          >
          > As a practical matter, we haven't lost anything.  Jeremy has always
          > said that we will 'never' have to PAY to PLAY and its still true.
          > We can still do everything that we've become used to.  (Although,
          > unrelated to any fees I just realized that javascripts are
          disabled.

          > Two months ago, I didn't even know what that was.  If you had a
          > chance to see  "A Wee Bit of Fun" cache before, you know that I
          made
          > a leapt and learned how to copy and paste javascripts.)
          >
          > If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
          > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
          > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months.
          > don't see us ever wanting to hide a cache for 'memebers only'.
          >
          > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't.  Interested
          > in sharing your opinions?
          >
          > Tom

          ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Buy Stock for $4. No Minimums. FREE Money 2002. http://us.click.yahoo.com/BgmYkB/VovDAA/ySSFAA/YltolB/TM

        • candy8966
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2002
            geocaching <geocaching@a...> wrote:
            > I would gladly pay $30 a year to keep geocaching.com on the
            internet... The geocaching.com web
            > site looks like it can not be hosted on one of those $20 a month
            plans. It
            > looks like he needs a dedicated server for the database and such.
            This
            > would cost any of us between $100-$500 a month! ...
            > Adamjrae and family

            "tlane3of6" <tlane3of6@y...> wrote:
            > Personally, I have mixed feelings. I understand that the cost to
            > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
            > shirt and hat sales. On the other hand, I don't see
            > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
            > ... If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
            > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
            > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months ...
            > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't. Interested
            > in sharing your opinions?

            My two cents is this ... I've become a Charter Member and Wayne most
            likely will, too, on the next paycheck ... $30 a year (plus
            tschotchkes of course) is FAR less than we pay for other
            entertainment such as softball ($30 per 8-game series, plus balls) or
            golf (anywhere from $17 to $50 a round) so we figure it is well worth
            it to support the site. Plus I'm getting excercise I wasn't getting
            and I'm not paying for some club membership ... you get my drift. Now
            if I can just keep my feet under me and quit "klutzing out" on 1-star
            difficulty caches, I should be just fine! ;-) (you had to be at
            Austin Geo-Hour to understand that ...)

            Candy aka Moosiegirl
          • Michele Pain
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4, 2002
              Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Charter Memberships I have been reluctant to join because I'm cheap/broke. But...I've know I would since I've gotten well over $30 worth of entertainment value in the last 2 months! Where's teh original email that all of these refer to?
              Thanks
              Michele in Austin
              ----------
              From: candy8966 <candylind@...>
              To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Charter Memberships
              Date: Sat, May 4, 2002, 11:08 AM

              geocaching <geocaching@a...> wrote:
              > I would gladly pay $30 a year to keep geocaching.com on the
              internet...  The geocaching.com web
              > site looks like it can not be hosted on one of those $20 a month
              plans.  It
              > looks like he needs a dedicated server for the database and such.
              This
              > would cost any of us between $100-$500 a month! ...
              > Adamjrae and family

              "tlane3of6" <tlane3of6@y...> wrote:
              > Personally, I have mixed feelings.  I understand that the cost to
              > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
              > shirt and hat sales.  On the other hand, I don't see
              > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
              > ... If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
              > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
              > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months ...
              > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't.  Interested
              > in sharing your opinions?

              My two cents is this ... I've become a Charter Member and Wayne most
              likely will, too, on the next paycheck ... $30 a year (plus
              tschotchkes of course) is FAR less than we pay for other
              entertainment such as softball ($30 per 8-game series, plus balls) or
              golf (anywhere from $17 to $50 a round) so we figure it is well worth
              it to support the site. Plus I'm getting excercise I wasn't getting
              and I'm not paying for some club membership ... you get my drift. Now
              if I can just keep my feet under me and quit "klutzing out" on 1-star
              difficulty caches, I should be just fine! ;-) (you had to be at
              Austin Geo-Hour to understand that ...)

              Candy aka Moosiegirl

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
              var lrec_URL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2037434.3509115.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705171288:HM/A=1061772/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356"; var lrec_flashfile="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429b.swf"; var lrec_altURL="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2037434.3509115.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705171288:HM/A=1061772/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7428/211/2458684356"; var lrec_altimg="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0429.gif"; var lrec_width=300; var lrec_height=250;

            • txhipowr
              Message 6 of 10 , May 9, 2002
                Michele,

                You can view all the meesages from Central Texas Geocachers at:

                You might need to set up a free account with yahoo to get into the
                archive area.

                Lou Catozzi
                TxHiPowr

              • stillfindingthings <stylie@maclaunch.com>
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "tlane3of6" <tlane3of6@y...> wrote:
                  > So what's the local feelings about the new optional fee's at
                  > Geocaching.com?
                  >
                  > Personally, I have mixed feelings. I understand that the cost to
                  > maintain the site must be growing beyond the amount supported by T-
                  > shirt and hat sales. On the other hand, I don't see
                  > any 'priviledged' features that I care enough about to pay for.
                  >
                  > As a practical matter, we haven't lost anything. Jeremy has always
                  > said that we will 'never' have to PAY to PLAY and its still true. We
                  > can still do everything that we've become used to. (Although,
                  > unrelated to any fees I just realized that javascripts are disabled.
                  > Two months ago, I didn't even know what that was. If you had a
                  > chance to see "A Wee Bit of Fun" cache before, you know that I made
                  > a leapt and learned how to copy and paste javascripts.)
                  >
                  > If we (threelanes) join, it will simply be to support the
                  > maintainance of the site and some small 'protection' that we won't
                  > lose a site that we have enjoyed so much over the last 10 months. I
                  > don't see us ever wanting to hide a cache for 'memebers only'.
                  >
                  > I see that several locals have joins and many haven't. Interested in
                  > sharing your opinions?
                  >
                  > Tom

                  Hello All,
                  Wow, I just figured out what this post was about. (I'm a little slow). I went to research caches in Minnesota for an upcoming summer trip, and I ran into a members only cache. In fact, 2 of the 4 caches I was interested in were members only.
                  I have always been a strong advocate of free information on the internet and I seem to run into the "pay for", and "register for", sites more and more often. I don't think its bad, I guess, I just harken back to a time when web sites were more or less a labor of love, and information was a little more distributed across a wide variety of sites. Web sites seem to give information away for a while, then they get big, and next thing you know its get out the check book. Look at Google and how its growing, its everywhere..are there any other search engines? ;-) Anyway, I offer that a person who hides cache might cross post the location to other DB sites like Navicache or post to the public usenet. Folks who only want select, "willing to pay" geocache visitors, of course have that option. I certainly felt a small sting of being excluded when I tried to look at those coordinates in MN. I dont know, I'm probably whining. (SUAG)(Shut up and Geocache).
                  One final thought, I think the comment on the sales pitch and sign up page is a little interesting..
                  The site say's we will never charge you to go Geocaching, yet by charging for the coordinates to the cache isn't the site charging people to go?

                  Dogger
                  (Getting out his checkbook)

                  P.S. Loved the Mckinney Roughs multicache, thanks for the tip at the happy hour back at La Feria.
                  P.P.S I miss ole Roxbob's Austin Challenge's
                • Grajek
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
                    Hello,
                    I am new to the sport and the mailing list. I like the idea of the
                    optional fees but do not like the "Members Only Caches." I will send my
                    money, but as a matter of principle will not participate in the members
                    only caches. I agree with Dogger Information should be free. I
                    understand the need for money and even the extra little perks you can
                    get with a monthly subscription to attract people (Like the Icon next to
                    your name), but not Memebers Only Caches.

                    Nice to meet everyone. Thanks to everyone that have taken the time to
                    email me with suggestions and guidance in the new sport.

                    Thanks
                    Grajek

> [...]

                    location to other DB sites like Navicache or post to the public usenet.
                    Folks who only want select, "willing to pay" geocache visitors, of
                    course have that option. I certainly felt a small sting of being
                    excluded when I tried to look at those coordinates in MN. I dont know,
                    I'm probably whining. (SUAG)(Shut up and Geocache).
                    One final thought, I think the comment on the sales pitch and sign up
                    page is a little interesting..
                    The site say's we will never charge you to go Geocaching, yet by
                    charging for the coordinates to the cache isn't the site charging people
                    to go?

                    Dogger
                    (Getting out his checkbook)

                    P.S. Loved the Mckinney Roughs multicache, thanks for the tip at the
                    happy hour back at La Feria.
                    P.P.S I miss ole Roxbob's Austin Challenge's

                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • Lou Catozzi
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
                      Hi Grajek,

                      Welcome aboard. Where are you based out of? I have noticed that the
                      only Members Only cache within 100 miles of Austin is located in
                      Hempstead, TX. It doesn't as if the local charter members (myself
                      included) think much of the idea either. We really haven't had much call
                      for that locally.

                      Lou Catozzi
                      AKA TxHiPowr