SkySite

  • dhadad
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 3, 2006
      Has everyone heard of skysite.com? Doing a search on this group I
      know at least CindyFrag does/did this.

      (forgive me if this is an old topic)

      It's where you can get paid to find these relay boxes that fall from
      the sky after they've served their usefulness tethered to a large
      balloon. The boxes have GPS capability and relay thier final position
      after they land to the other 'balloons' in the network.

      Problem is that the company can't afford to have its employees search
      for these units, so they ask the geocaching community to do it.

      It pays $50-70 per retrieval (I think).

      Anyway, just curious if people on this forum did that and if they
      thought it was worth it. There are currently two units (SOGs) in the
      Texas hill country.

      -- Dan (inspectorgadget)
    • Barry Watson
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 3, 2006
        Message
        I have never heard of this, but I think the wife and I have a new weekend job...  errr.. I mean hobby....

        Barry (Doc Geo)

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 4, 2006
          Message
          Cindy Frag in San Antonio does that all the time for xtra money

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 27, 2006
            Dan,
            The wife and I did go after the one we told you about at Freebirds.
            It was fun, the coords were right on. It was on private land but we
            contacted the owner and got permission to go in. Beautiful
            weather. And the owner gave us a dozen fresh eggs to take home!
            (Look for them in a cache near you....)

            lol, just kidding

            Lots of fun and we are heading to San Antonio this weekend to get a
            few more...

            Barry

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dhadad" <lists@...>
            wrote:

            > Has everyone heard of skysite.com? Doing a search on this group I
            > know at least CindyFrag does/did this.
            >
            > (forgive me if this is an old topic)
            >
            > It's where you can get paid to find these relay boxes that fall
            from
            > the sky after they've served their usefulness tethered to a large
            > balloon. The boxes have GPS capability and relay thier final
            position
            > after they land to the other 'balloons' in the network.
            >
            > Problem is that the company can't afford to have its employees
            search
            > for these units, so they ask the geocaching community to do it.
            >
            > It pays $50-70 per retrieval (I think).
            >
            > Anyway, just curious if people on this forum did that and if they
            > thought it was worth it. There are currently two units (SOGs) in
            the
            > Texas hill country.
            >

            > -- Dan (inspectorgadget)

          • dhadad
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 27, 2006
              Barry,

              That's awesome!! I guess you don't get smiley credit for caches that
              fall out the sky (or that you get paid for)!

              Was the owner upset about the possibility of balloons landing on his
              property? Do you have any official paperwork given to you by skysite
              to show people you were legitimate?

              Can you take a picture of the next sky 'cache' you find? Just curious
              what it looks like when it is found.

              Thanks,

              Dan (inspectorgadget)

              p.s. Am starting to think about maybe designing a radio-enabled cache
              or travel bug. No details yet, but wouldn't that be way cool!

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "B..." <bcwatson@...>
              wrote:

              > Dan,
              > The wife and I did go after the one we told you about at Freebirds.
              > It was fun, the coords were right on. It was on private land but we
              > contacted the owner and got permission to go in. Beautiful
              > weather. And the owner gave us a dozen fresh eggs to take home!
              > (Look for them in a cache near you....)
              >
              > lol, just kidding
              >
              > Lots of fun and we are heading to San Antonio this weekend to get a
              > few more...
              >
              > Barry
              >
              > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dhadad" <lists@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Has everyone heard of skysite.com? Doing a search on this group I
              > > know at least CindyFrag does/did this.
              > >
              > > (forgive me if this is an old topic)
              > >
              > > It's where you can get paid to find these relay boxes that fall
              > from
              > > the sky after they've served their usefulness tethered to a large
              > > balloon. The boxes have GPS capability and relay thier final
              > position
              > > after they land to the other 'balloons' in the network.
              > >
              > > Problem is that the company can't afford to have its employees
              > search
              > > for these units, so they ask the geocaching community to do it.
              > >
              > > It pays $50-70 per retrieval (I think).
              > >
              > > Anyway, just curious if people on this forum did that and if they
              > > thought it was worth it. There are currently two units (SOGs) in
              > the
              > > Texas hill country.
              > >

              > > -- Dan (inspectorgadget)

            • B...
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 27, 2006
                Dan,
                I took pictures and will send them when I get home. The owner
                wasn't concerned at all.
                When I got home, I create an informational printout by copying text
                from their web site
                to hand out to future land owners. I am also going to print up some
                sort of identification
                card with my photo on it so I look official in case the next land
                owner asksÂ….

                <inspectorgadget@...> wrote:

                > Barry,
                >
                > That's awesome!! I guess you don't get smiley credit for caches
                that
                > fall out the sky (or that you get paid for)!
                >
                > Was the owner upset about the possibility of balloons landing on
                his
                > property? Do you have any official paperwork given to you by
                skysite
                > to show people you were legitimate?
                >
                > Can you take a picture of the next sky 'cache' you find? Just
                curious
                > what it looks like when it is found.
                >

                > Thanks,
                >
                > Dan (inspectorgadget)
                >
                > p.s. Am starting to think about maybe designing a radio-enabled
                cache
                > or travel bug. No details yet, but wouldn't that be way cool!
                >
                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "B..." <bcwatson@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Dan,
                > > The wife and I did go after the one we told you about at
                Freebirds.
                > > It was fun, the coords were right on. It was on private land
                but we
                > > contacted the owner and got permission to go in. Beautiful
                > > weather. And the owner gave us a dozen fresh eggs to take home!
                > > (Look for them in a cache near you....)
                > >
                > > lol, just kidding
                > >
                > > Lots of fun and we are heading to San Antonio this weekend to
                get a
                > > few more...
                > >
                > > Barry
                > >
                > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dhadad" <lists@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Has everyone heard of skysite.com? Doing a search on this
                group I
                > > > know at least CindyFrag does/did this.
                > > >
                > > > (forgive me if this is an old topic)
                > > >
                > > > It's where you can get paid to find these relay boxes that
                fall
                > > from
                > > > the sky after they've served their usefulness tethered to a
                large
                > > > balloon. The boxes have GPS capability and relay thier final
                > > position
                > > > after they land to the other 'balloons' in the network.
                > > >
                > > > Problem is that the company can't afford to have its employees
                > > search
                > > > for these units, so they ask the geocaching community to do it.
                > > >
                > > > It pays $50-70 per retrieval (I think).
                > > >
                > > > Anyway, just curious if people on this forum did that and if
                they
                > > > thought it was worth it. There are currently two units (SOGs)
                in
                > > the
                > > > Texas hill country.
                > > >

                > > > -- Dan (inspectorgadget)

              • Barry Watson
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 27, 2006
                  Message
                  Here's the pics!

                  wrote:

                  > Dan,
                  > The wife and I did go after the one we told you about at Freebirds.
                  > It was fun, the coords were right on.  It was on private land but we
                  > contacted the owner and got permission to go in.  Beautiful
                  > weather.  And the owner gave us a dozen fresh eggs to take home!
                  > (Look for them in a cache near you....)
                  >
                  > lol, just kidding
                  >
                  > Lots of fun and we are heading to San Antonio this weekend to get a
                  > few more...
                  >
                  > Barry
                  >
                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dhadad" <lists@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Has everyone heard of skysite.com?  Doing a search on this group I
                  > > know at least CindyFrag does/did this.
                  > >
                  > > (forgive me if this is an old topic)
                  > >
                  > > It's where you can get paid to find these relay boxes that fall
                  > from
                  > > the sky after they've served their usefulness tethered to a large
                  > > balloon.  The boxes have GPS capability and relay thier final
                  > position
                  > > after they land to the other 'balloons' in the network.
                  > >
                  > > Problem is that the company can't afford to have its employees
                  > search
                  > > for these units, so they ask the geocaching community to do it.
                  > >
                  > > It pays $50-70 per retrieval (I think).
                  > >
                  > > Anyway, just curious if people on this forum did that and if they
                  > > thought it was worth it.  There are currently two units (SOGs) in
                  > the
                  > > Texas hill country.
                  > >

                  > > -- Dan (inspectorgadget)

                • Barry Watson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 27, 2006
                    Message
                    Ooooopppsss  those were my map pictures...  here's the ones of the SkySite Platform....

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
                      Message
                      That could be why they were labeled "map1.jpg" and "map2.jpg" . . . ;->

                      I see that the instrument package made a bullseye on a nice patch of prickley pear!

                      Russ aka the waterweasel

                      wrote:

                      > Dan,
                      > The wife and I did go after the one we told you about at Freebirds.
                      > It was fun, the coords were right on.  It was on private land but we
                      > contacted the owner and got permission to go in.  Beautiful
                      > weather.  And the owner gave us a dozen fresh eggs to take home!
                      > (Look for them in a cache near you....)
                      >
                      > lol, just kidding
                      >
                      > Lots of fun and we are heading to San Antonio this weekend to get a
                      > few more...
                      >
                      > Barry
                      >
                      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dhadad" <lists@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Has everyone heard of skysite.com?  Doing a search on this group I
                      > > know at least CindyFrag does/did this.
                      > >
                      > > (forgive me if this is an old topic)
                      > >
                      > > It's where you can get paid to find these relay boxes that fall
                      > from
                      > > the sky after they've served their usefulness tethered to a large
                      > > balloon.  The boxes have GPS capability and relay thier final
                      > position
                      > > after they land to the other 'balloons' in the network.
                      > >
                      > > Problem is that the company can't afford to have its employees
                      > search
                      > > for these units, so they ask the geocaching community to do it.
                      > >
                      > > It pays $50-70 per retrieval (I think).
                      > >
                      > > Anyway, just curious if people on this forum did that and if they
                      > > thought it was worth it.  There are currently two units (SOGs) in
                      > the
                      > > Texas hill country.
                      > >

                      > > -- Dan (inspectorgadget)

                      City park rental vacationCentral texas real estateCity park hotel sant just
                      Central texas college onlineCentral texas college distance learningOutdoors

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    • Barry Watson
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
                        Message
                        Yep...
                        I just remembered...  coming back to our truck, I laid that package on my lap.
                        On the way home I put it in the back on the floor.  Then I realized I had something
                        sticking me on my thigh.  I found and pulled out a very thin, very short "something"....
                        I only later realized what I had done and how lucky I was not to wind up with a lap full
                        of cactus spines...   lol....

                        Barry
                        I see that the instrument package made a bullseye on a nice patch of prickley pear!

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
                          Message
                          Sez the cactus: I caught it, I want to KEEP it!!!
                          What WAS the instrument package measuring, do you know? SkySites are a new concept to me.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
                            It isn't a measuring device. It is a communications relay device to
                            extend the communications range of users on the ground.

                            Barry

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Barb Jernigan

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
                              And sometimes their balloons wear out?
                              You are communicating with the ignorant here.

                              @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
                                When the balloon drifts out of the desired coverage area, a signal
                                is sent to release the balloon and deploy a parachute. When the
                                package touches down, it transmits its coordinates to the next
                                package and that is relayed back to the company which then has the
                                list of downed packages updated. Then they need skilled GPS users
                                to retrieve the packages....

                                <gumbietygress@...> wrote:

                                > And sometimes their balloons wear out?
                                > You are communicating with the ignorant here.
                                >
                                > On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 17:01:04 -0000 "B..." <bcwatson@...>
                                > writes:
                                > > It isn't a measuring device. It is a communications relay
                                device to

                                > > extend the communications range of users on the ground.
                                > >
                                > > Barry
                                > >
                                > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Barb Jernigan
                                > > <gumbietygress@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Sez the cactus: I caught it, I want to KEEP it!!!
                                > > > What WAS the instrument package measuring, do you know?
                                SkySites
                                > > are a
                                > > > new concept to me.
                                > > >
                                > > > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:46:50 -0600 "Barry Watson"
                                > > > <bcwatson@> writes:
                                > > > Yep...
                                > > > I just remembered... coming back to our truck, I laid that
                                > > package on my
                                > > > lap.
                                > > > On the way home I put it in the back on the floor. Then I
                                > > realized I had
                                > > > something
                                > > > sticking me on my thigh. I found and pulled out a very thin,
                                very

                                > > short
                                > > > "something"....
                                > > > I only later realized what I had done and how lucky I was not
                                > > wind up
                                > > > with a lap full
                                > > > of cactus spines... lol....
                                > > >
                                > > > Barry

                              • Nick Silkey
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
                                  My question is this:

                                  Does SkySite only provide XX.X, XX.X coordinates to searchers seeking
                                  SOGs? With coordinates such as these, SOG searchers could need to
                                  search a 36,000 x 36,000 foot area (as per my math).

                                  Or are more precise coordinates given to those who ask to begin recovery?

                                  Nick Silkey
                                  a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
                                  N30 28.2' W097 46.6'
                                • B...
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
                                    The coords are limited to one decimal point of a degree so searchers
                                    will have an idea of where the SOGs are. Searchers are assigned
                                    SOGs to recover on a first come - first serve basis (based on email
                                    reception data/time). Once assigned a SOG, the searcher gets the
                                    full coordinates...

                                    Now, if you're good, you don't need those extra numbers.... ;-)

                                    Barry
                                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Silkey"

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 1, 2006
                                      ah! Glad to know my assumptions are within the ball park.
                                      Thanks!