Re: topo maps on gpsrs

  • dhadad
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
      Jason,

      I've not tried your software yet, but it's really cool that you're
      doing it!

      Are you planning to do a custom map for Inks Lake State Park, site of
      this year's Texas Challenge?

      Dan (inspectorgadget)

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Scarlett"
      <jscarlett@...> wrote:

      > I created a sample transparent TOPO map for Garmin that will allow
      > you to view a Mapsource (or CityMAP) map over a TOPO map on your
      > GPS. I also added support that allows this custom TOPO map to be
      > displayed directly in Mapsource (allowing you to use mapsource to
      > upload it to the GPS). The sample area is quite large but misses the
      > top part of Austin (stops just north of the Hwy 290/I-35
      > interchange). I can create a second file to cover this area but
      > wanted to make sure this worked OK first.
      >
      > Since I do not own a Garmin or Mapsource I've only tested this on
      > the PC so I need a brave soul to try this out. If you have loaded
      > one of my CityMAPS before this should be easy. If not, I'd wait
      > until someone reports back that it works before attempting. There is
      > and Install.txt file that will walk you through the process in the
      > zip archive. More information and links to the downloads are
      > location on my blog http://waas-up.blogspot.com
      >
      > FYI, Contour lines were generated every 10ft of elevation change
      > from US Government data (1/3 arc second).
      >
      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Perrine Julie-ra5686
      > <julieperrine@f...> wrote:
      > > Guys, check the recent messages from WAAS-Up on this board about
      > custom maps he was creating. I think he was offering something like
      > this FREE.
      > > Julie

    • Matthew
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 19, 2006
        Did you find someone with a Garmin unit to test yout TOPO yet?
        I have a Garmin Legend Cx with a 512MB transSD card for map storage.

        Matthew
        mda_taz on geocaching

        <julieperrine@f...> wrote:
        > > Guys, check the recent messages
        from WAAS-Up on this board about
        > custom maps he was creating.  I
        think he was offering something like
        > this FREE.

        Julie

        <cwymanjr@a...> wrote:
        > > > Hey,
        > > >
        > > > I was wondering about the purchase and use of topographical maps
        > with
        > > > the gpsr.  Does anyone use these for
        geocaching?  If so, do you
        > think
        > > > they are worth
        the investment?  Can you use them along with the
        > street
        > > > maps?
        > > >
        > > > I was thinking that I could
        use the street maps to get to the
        > cache
        > > > area, then
        use the topo map to get to the real cache.  They may
        > be
        > > > useful if the cache is on a clif or in a creek, etc.  Is that
        > even
        > > > what they can be used for or have I got it all
        wrong?

        > > > I'm using the Garmin GPSMap
        76CS.  I absolutely love this
        > thing!!!
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,
        > > > Stratman
        > > >

        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups
        Links

      • Curtis Wyman
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 19, 2006
          Message
          Someone sent me this link that shows gas prices by zip code (cheapest to most expensive).  I now have another waypoint or two to add to my gpsr.

          Stratman (Curtis)
        • Renee
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 19, 2006
            Message

            There’s also www.texasgasprices.com and www.austingasprices.com I use them every so often.

            Renee/zenfire

            Someone sent me this link that shows gas prices by zip code (cheapest to most expensive).  I now have another waypoint or two to add to my gpsr.

            Stratman (Curtis)

          • Barry Watson
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 19, 2006
              Message