Re: Paperless Maps

  • dhadad
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
      Found an interesting solution with EarthComber.com. It's completely FREE!

      You can sign up for a free account on their website, download the
      software onto your PDA-- however, you also have to install an updater
      on your PC. You select the maps by county and download them onto your
      PDA main memory or SD card.

      Travis county is 2.2MB.

      You can zoom in/out on the maps, click on street names, pan the maps
      sideways (with your stylus), find locations by entering the address
      (seems like only businesses), etc, etc.

      You can also create "Look Lists". I'm still figuring out how to
      import GPX data into Earthcomber.

      Dan (inspectorgadget)

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Nick Silkey
      <nsilkey@...> wrote:

      > A GC.com cache map? Or a map (topo, street, whatever) with caches
      overlaid?

      > Since the T650 has BT support, you could look into getting a BT GPSr.
      > I hear TomTomNav5 calling ... :)
      >
      > On 2/1/06, dhadad <lists@...> wrote:
      > > Does anyone have a way to put geocaching maps onto their PDA?
      > >
      > > I've already gone paperless for the listings. (I finally got a premium
      > > memberships which allows me to get pocket queries in GPX format, then
      > > I convert them using GPS Spinner then iSilo. Huh, you say? See more
      > > here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperless_Geocaching and here:
      > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching_Software)
      > >
      > > However, I'm trying to figure out how to put a good cache map on my
      > > PDA. I know, I know... I shouldn't really need it since ultimately the
      > > GPS can handle it-- however, as you might know my Magellan GPS right
      > > now looks like crap and often it's not with me at the office (what,
      > > you say?) or it's in my pack-- hence my need for having a map on my
      > > PDA (treo 650).
      > >
      > > What I'd like ideally is an offline version of a cache map,
      > > customized for me where I can pick out a cache off the map and get an
      > > offline version of the log page. OFFLINE.
      > >
      > > Part of this whole effort was spawned from my printer crapping out.
      > > They just don't make electronics like they used to...
      > >
      > > So far I've been able to convert GPS to KML and load it into Google
      > > Earth on my laptop, which is way cool. And I've looked into Kmaps for
      > > the PDA, but it seems to take up too much room on it and is best
      > > ONLINE-- which is not what I want. I'd like some PDA mapping utility
      > > that can take the GPX data or an equivalent thereof...
      > >
      > > Is anyone else wanting this or can relate their own paperless
      experience??

      > > Dan (inspectorgadget)
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > --
      > Nick Silkey
      > a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
      > N30 28.2' W097 46.6'

    • semperquestio
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2006
        I just started playing with Earthcomber today. Pretty good stuff,
        especially for free, from what I've seen so far. I have no idea how
        to get the data into the favorite locations, but I have posted a
        note on the GC forums and on the GSAK forums for help on this and if
        I get anything I'll pass it along.

        Howard
        (Semper Questio)

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dhadad" <lists@...>