Re: Paperless Maps

  • dhadad
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
      Unfortunately I have a Palm OS device, the treo 650. I'm just curious
      if an app like this even exists.

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don-sa@s...> wrote:

      > Microsoft Streets & Trips for pocket PC. You can then zoom just like
      it was
      > on your pc
      >

      > _____

    • Barry Watson
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006

        The way I would do that with my "Garmin" is to run MapSource (One of Garmin's mapping products).

        Then I would load the waypoint file generated by my personal query.  When I see an area of "high

        waypoint density", I zoom in as far as I wish, then take a screen shot, paste it into MS Paint and then save

        it as a .jpg or .bmp and send it to my PDA.  That way I can view the picture later on my PDA….

        Barry

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
          A GC.com cache map? Or a map (topo, street, whatever) with caches overlaid?

          Since the T650 has BT support, you could look into getting a BT GPSr.
          I hear TomTomNav5 calling ... :)

          On 2/1/06, dhadad <lists@...> wrote:
          > Does anyone have a way to put geocaching maps onto their PDA?
          >
          > I've already gone paperless for the listings. (I finally got a premium
          > memberships which allows me to get pocket queries in GPX format, then
          > I convert them using GPS Spinner then iSilo. Huh, you say? See more
          > here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperless_Geocaching and here:
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching_Software)
          >
          > However, I'm trying to figure out how to put a good cache map on my
          > PDA. I know, I know... I shouldn't really need it since ultimately the
          > GPS can handle it-- however, as you might know my Magellan GPS right
          > now looks like crap and often it's not with me at the office (what,
          > you say?) or it's in my pack-- hence my need for having a map on my
          > PDA (treo 650).
          >
          > What I'd like ideally is an offline version of a cache map,
          > customized for me where I can pick out a cache off the map and get an
          > offline version of the log page. OFFLINE.
          >
          > Part of this whole effort was spawned from my printer crapping out.
          > They just don't make electronics like they used to...
          >
          > So far I've been able to convert GPS to KML and load it into Google
          > Earth on my laptop, which is way cool. And I've looked into Kmaps for
          > the PDA, but it seems to take up too much room on it and is best
          > ONLINE-- which is not what I want. I'd like some PDA mapping utility
          > that can take the GPX data or an equivalent thereof...
          >
          > Is anyone else wanting this or can relate their own paperless experience??
          >
          > Dan (inspectorgadget)

          Nick Silkey
          a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
          N30 28.2' W097 46.6'
        • Dick Young
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
            <then take a screen shot,>
            Ok, OK, stupid question...
            How is this done? Back in the old days I could do it but now, I don't
            know how.
            Thanks,
            Cache on,
            Dick

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"
            <bcwatson@h...> wrote:

            > The way I would do that with my "Garmin" is to run MapSource (One of
            > Garmin's mapping products).
            >
            > Then I would load the waypoint file generated by my personal query.
            > When I see an area of "high
            >
            > waypoint density", I zoom in as far as I wish, then take a screen shot,
            > paste it into MS Paint and then save
            >
            > it as a .jpg or .bmp and send it to my PDA. That way I can view the
            > picture later on my PDA....
            >

            > Barry
            >

            > ________________________________

          • B...
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
              Press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard. This saves a copy
              of your screen to the Windows clipboard. Then run Paint and paste
              it using the Edit menu.

              Barry

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
              <rtyoungster@y...> wrote:

              > <then take a screen shot,>
              > Ok, OK, stupid question...
              > How is this done? Back in the old days I could do it but now, I
              don't
              > know how.
              > Thanks,
              > Cache on,
              > Dick
              >

              > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"
              > <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
              > >
              > > The way I would do that with my "Garmin" is to run MapSource
              (One of
              > > Garmin's mapping products).
              > >
              > > Then I would load the waypoint file generated by my personal
              query.
              > > When I see an area of "high
              > >
              > > waypoint density", I zoom in as far as I wish, then take a
              screen shot,
              > > paste it into MS Paint and then save
              > >
              > > it as a .jpg or .bmp and send it to my PDA. That way I can view
              the
              > > picture later on my PDA....
              > >

              > > Barry
              > >

              > > ________________________________

            • dhadad
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                There's a thought! Good suggestion!

                If GPX Spinner would generate a clickable map in HTML format then
                iSilo (or Plucker) would generate what I want...

                Or generate the image myself... but I want an automated solution...

                Thanks

                Dan

                <bcwatson@h...> wrote:

                > The way I would do that with my "Garmin" is to run MapSource (One of
                > Garmin's mapping products).
                >
                > Then I would load the waypoint file generated by my personal query.
                > When I see an area of "high
                >
                > waypoint density", I zoom in as far as I wish, then take a screen shot,
                > paste it into MS Paint and then save
                >
                > it as a .jpg or .bmp and send it to my PDA. That way I can view the
                > picture later on my PDA....
                >

                > Barry
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Dick Young
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                  Thanks, I told you it was a stupid question!

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "B..." <bcwatson@h...>

                • lowracer@cox.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006

                    <rtyoungster@y...> wrote:

                    > <then take a screen shot,>
                    > Ok, OK, stupid question...
                    > How is this done?  Back in the old days I could do it but now, I
                    don't
                    > know how.
                    > Thanks,
                    > Cache on,
                    > Dick
                    >

                    > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"
                    > <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The way I would do that with my "Garmin" is to run MapSource
                    (One of
                    > > Garmin's mapping products).
                    > >
                    > > Then I would load the waypoint file generated by my personal
                    query.
                    > > When I see an area of "high
                    > >
                    > > waypoint density", I zoom in as far as I wish, then take a
                    screen shot,
                    > > paste it into MS Paint and then save
                    > >
                    > > it as a .jpg or .bmp and send it to my PDA.  That way I can view
                    the
                    > > picture later on my PDA....
                    > >

                    > > Barry
                    > >

                    > > ________________________________

                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                      Another option is to use 'Alt' PrintScreen - this will save just the
                      current window to the clipboard rather than the whole screen. This is
                      often what you actually want and saves some editing.

                      Mike

                      <rtyoungster@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks, I told you it was a stupid question!
                      >
                      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "B..." <bcwatson@h...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard. This saves a copy
                      > > of your screen to the Windows clipboard. Then run Paint and paste
                      > > it using the Edit menu.
                      > >
                      > > Barry
                      > >
                      > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
                      > > <rtyoungster@y...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > <then take a screen shot,>
                      > > > Ok, OK, stupid question...
                      > > > How is this done? Back in the old days I could do it but now, I
                      > > don't
                      > > > know how.
                      > > > Thanks,
                      > > > Cache on,
                      > > > Dick
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"

                      > > (One of

                      > > query.

                      > > screen shot,

                      > > the

                    • Barry Watson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                        Message
                        True, unless the window you want is maximized in which case there isn't much difference.....
                        (Alt-PrtScr will eliminate the Office toolbar and the Windows taskbar in that case.)

                        :-D

                        Barry

                        <rtyoungster@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks, I told you it was a stupid question!
                        >
                        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "B..." <bcwatson@h...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard.  This saves a copy
                        > > of your screen to the Windows clipboard.  Then run Paint and paste
                        > > it using the Edit menu.
                        > >
                        > > Barry
                        > >
                        > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
                        > > <rtyoungster@y...> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > <then take a screen shot,>
                        > > > Ok, OK, stupid question...
                        > > > How is this done?  Back in the old days I could do it but now, I
                        > > don't
                        > > > know how.
                        > > > Thanks,
                        > > > Cache on,
                        > > > Dick
                        > > >

                        > > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"

                        > > (One of

                        > > query.

                        > > screen shot,

                        > > the

                      • dhadad
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
                          Found an interesting solution with EarthComber.com. It's completely FREE!

                          You can sign up for a free account on their website, download the
                          software onto your PDA-- however, you also have to install an updater
                          on your PC. You select the maps by county and download them onto your
                          PDA main memory or SD card.

                          Travis county is 2.2MB.

                          You can zoom in/out on the maps, click on street names, pan the maps
                          sideways (with your stylus), find locations by entering the address
                          (seems like only businesses), etc, etc.

                          You can also create "Look Lists". I'm still figuring out how to
                          import GPX data into Earthcomber.

                          Dan (inspectorgadget)

                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Nick Silkey
                          <nsilkey@...> wrote:

                          > A GC.com cache map? Or a map (topo, street, whatever) with caches
                          overlaid?

                          > Since the T650 has BT support, you could look into getting a BT GPSr.
                          > I hear TomTomNav5 calling ... :)
                          >
                          > On 2/1/06, dhadad <lists@...> wrote:
                          > > Does anyone have a way to put geocaching maps onto their PDA?
                          > >
                          > > I've already gone paperless for the listings. (I finally got a premium
                          > > memberships which allows me to get pocket queries in GPX format, then
                          > > I convert them using GPS Spinner then iSilo. Huh, you say? See more
                          > > here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperless_Geocaching and here:
                          > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching_Software)
                          > >
                          > > However, I'm trying to figure out how to put a good cache map on my
                          > > PDA. I know, I know... I shouldn't really need it since ultimately the
                          > > GPS can handle it-- however, as you might know my Magellan GPS right
                          > > now looks like crap and often it's not with me at the office (what,
                          > > you say?) or it's in my pack-- hence my need for having a map on my
                          > > PDA (treo 650).
                          > >
                          > > What I'd like ideally is an offline version of a cache map,
                          > > customized for me where I can pick out a cache off the map and get an
                          > > offline version of the log page. OFFLINE.
                          > >
                          > > Part of this whole effort was spawned from my printer crapping out.
                          > > They just don't make electronics like they used to...
                          > >
                          > > So far I've been able to convert GPS to KML and load it into Google
                          > > Earth on my laptop, which is way cool. And I've looked into Kmaps for
                          > > the PDA, but it seems to take up too much room on it and is best
                          > > ONLINE-- which is not what I want. I'd like some PDA mapping utility
                          > > that can take the GPX data or an equivalent thereof...
                          > >
                          > > Is anyone else wanting this or can relate their own paperless
                          experience??

                          > > Dan (inspectorgadget)
                          > >

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          > >

                          > --
                          > Nick Silkey
                          > a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
                          > N30 28.2' W097 46.6'

                        • semperquestio
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 3, 2006
                            I just started playing with Earthcomber today. Pretty good stuff,
                            especially for free, from what I've seen so far. I have no idea how
                            to get the data into the favorite locations, but I have posted a
                            note on the GC forums and on the GSAK forums for help on this and if
                            I get anything I'll pass it along.

                            Howard
                            (Semper Questio)

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dhadad" <lists@...>