Paperless Maps

  • dhadad
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
      Does anyone have a way to put geocaching maps onto their PDA?

      I've already gone paperless for the listings. (I finally got a premium
      memberships which allows me to get pocket queries in GPX format, then
      I convert them using GPS Spinner then iSilo. Huh, you say? See more
      here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperless_Geocaching and here:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching_Software)

      However, I'm trying to figure out how to put a good cache map on my
      PDA. I know, I know... I shouldn't really need it since ultimately the
      GPS can handle it-- however, as you might know my Magellan GPS right
      now looks like crap and often it's not with me at the office (what,
      you say?) or it's in my pack-- hence my need for having a map on my
      PDA (treo 650).

      What I'd like ideally is an offline version of a cache map,
      customized for me where I can pick out a cache off the map and get an
      offline version of the log page. OFFLINE.

      Part of this whole effort was spawned from my printer crapping out.
      They just don't make electronics like they used to...

      So far I've been able to convert GPS to KML and load it into Google
      Earth on my laptop, which is way cool. And I've looked into Kmaps for
      the PDA, but it seems to take up too much room on it and is best
      ONLINE-- which is not what I want. I'd like some PDA mapping utility
      that can take the GPX data or an equivalent thereof...

      Is anyone else wanting this or can relate their own paperless experience??

      Dan (inspectorgadget)
    • Don
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006

        Microsoft Streets & Trips for pocket PC. You can then zoom just like it was on your pc

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
          Unfortunately I have a Palm OS device, the treo 650. I'm just curious
          if an app like this even exists.

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <don-sa@s...> wrote:

          > Microsoft Streets & Trips for pocket PC. You can then zoom just like
          it was
          > on your pc
          >

          > _____

        • Barry Watson
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006

            The way I would do that with my "Garmin" is to run MapSource (One of Garmin's mapping products).

            Then I would load the waypoint file generated by my personal query.  When I see an area of "high

            waypoint density", I zoom in as far as I wish, then take a screen shot, paste it into MS Paint and then save

            it as a .jpg or .bmp and send it to my PDA.  That way I can view the picture later on my PDA….

            Barry

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
              A GC.com cache map? Or a map (topo, street, whatever) with caches overlaid?

              Since the T650 has BT support, you could look into getting a BT GPSr.
              I hear TomTomNav5 calling ... :)

              On 2/1/06, dhadad <lists@...> wrote:
              > Does anyone have a way to put geocaching maps onto their PDA?
              >
              > I've already gone paperless for the listings. (I finally got a premium
              > memberships which allows me to get pocket queries in GPX format, then
              > I convert them using GPS Spinner then iSilo. Huh, you say? See more
              > here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperless_Geocaching and here:
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching_Software)
              >
              > However, I'm trying to figure out how to put a good cache map on my
              > PDA. I know, I know... I shouldn't really need it since ultimately the
              > GPS can handle it-- however, as you might know my Magellan GPS right
              > now looks like crap and often it's not with me at the office (what,
              > you say?) or it's in my pack-- hence my need for having a map on my
              > PDA (treo 650).
              >
              > What I'd like ideally is an offline version of a cache map,
              > customized for me where I can pick out a cache off the map and get an
              > offline version of the log page. OFFLINE.
              >
              > Part of this whole effort was spawned from my printer crapping out.
              > They just don't make electronics like they used to...
              >
              > So far I've been able to convert GPS to KML and load it into Google
              > Earth on my laptop, which is way cool. And I've looked into Kmaps for
              > the PDA, but it seems to take up too much room on it and is best
              > ONLINE-- which is not what I want. I'd like some PDA mapping utility
              > that can take the GPX data or an equivalent thereof...
              >
              > Is anyone else wanting this or can relate their own paperless experience??
              >
              > Dan (inspectorgadget)

              Nick Silkey
              a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
              N30 28.2' W097 46.6'
            • Dick Young
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                <then take a screen shot,>
                Ok, OK, stupid question...
                How is this done? Back in the old days I could do it but now, I don't
                know how.
                Thanks,
                Cache on,
                Dick

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"
                <bcwatson@h...> wrote:

                > The way I would do that with my "Garmin" is to run MapSource (One of
                > Garmin's mapping products).
                >
                > Then I would load the waypoint file generated by my personal query.
                > When I see an area of "high
                >
                > waypoint density", I zoom in as far as I wish, then take a screen shot,
                > paste it into MS Paint and then save
                >
                > it as a .jpg or .bmp and send it to my PDA. That way I can view the
                > picture later on my PDA....
                >

                > Barry
                >

                > ________________________________

              • B...
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                  Press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard. This saves a copy
                  of your screen to the Windows clipboard. Then run Paint and paste
                  it using the Edit menu.

                  Barry

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
                  <rtyoungster@y...> wrote:

                  > <then take a screen shot,>
                  > Ok, OK, stupid question...
                  > How is this done? Back in the old days I could do it but now, I
                  don't
                  > know how.
                  > Thanks,
                  > Cache on,
                  > Dick
                  >

                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"
                  > <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The way I would do that with my "Garmin" is to run MapSource
                  (One of
                  > > Garmin's mapping products).
                  > >
                  > > Then I would load the waypoint file generated by my personal
                  query.
                  > > When I see an area of "high
                  > >
                  > > waypoint density", I zoom in as far as I wish, then take a
                  screen shot,
                  > > paste it into MS Paint and then save
                  > >
                  > > it as a .jpg or .bmp and send it to my PDA. That way I can view
                  the
                  > > picture later on my PDA....
                  > >

                  > > Barry
                  > >

                  > > ________________________________

                • dhadad
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                    There's a thought! Good suggestion!

                    If GPX Spinner would generate a clickable map in HTML format then
                    iSilo (or Plucker) would generate what I want...

                    Or generate the image myself... but I want an automated solution...

                    Thanks

                    Dan

                    <bcwatson@h...> wrote:

                    > The way I would do that with my "Garmin" is to run MapSource (One of
                    > Garmin's mapping products).
                    >
                    > Then I would load the waypoint file generated by my personal query.
                    > When I see an area of "high
                    >
                    > waypoint density", I zoom in as far as I wish, then take a screen shot,
                    > paste it into MS Paint and then save
                    >
                    > it as a .jpg or .bmp and send it to my PDA. That way I can view the
                    > picture later on my PDA....
                    >

                    > Barry
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Dick Young
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                      Thanks, I told you it was a stupid question!

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "B..." <bcwatson@h...>

                    • lowracer@cox.net
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006

                        <rtyoungster@y...> wrote:

                        > <then take a screen shot,>
                        > Ok, OK, stupid question...
                        > How is this done?  Back in the old days I could do it but now, I
                        don't
                        > know how.
                        > Thanks,
                        > Cache on,
                        > Dick
                        >

                        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"
                        > <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The way I would do that with my "Garmin" is to run MapSource
                        (One of
                        > > Garmin's mapping products).
                        > >
                        > > Then I would load the waypoint file generated by my personal
                        query.
                        > > When I see an area of "high
                        > >
                        > > waypoint density", I zoom in as far as I wish, then take a
                        screen shot,
                        > > paste it into MS Paint and then save
                        > >
                        > > it as a .jpg or .bmp and send it to my PDA.  That way I can view
                        the
                        > > picture later on my PDA....
                        > >

                        > > Barry
                        > >

                        > > ________________________________

                      • Mike
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                          Another option is to use 'Alt' PrintScreen - this will save just the
                          current window to the clipboard rather than the whole screen. This is
                          often what you actually want and saves some editing.

                          Mike

                          <rtyoungster@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks, I told you it was a stupid question!
                          >
                          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "B..." <bcwatson@h...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard. This saves a copy
                          > > of your screen to the Windows clipboard. Then run Paint and paste
                          > > it using the Edit menu.
                          > >
                          > > Barry
                          > >
                          > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
                          > > <rtyoungster@y...> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > <then take a screen shot,>
                          > > > Ok, OK, stupid question...
                          > > > How is this done? Back in the old days I could do it but now, I
                          > > don't
                          > > > know how.
                          > > > Thanks,
                          > > > Cache on,
                          > > > Dick
                          > > >

                          > > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"

                          > > (One of

                          > > query.

                          > > screen shot,

                          > > the

                        • Barry Watson
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                            Message
                            True, unless the window you want is maximized in which case there isn't much difference.....
                            (Alt-PrtScr will eliminate the Office toolbar and the Windows taskbar in that case.)

                            :-D

                            Barry

                            <rtyoungster@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks, I told you it was a stupid question!
                            >
                            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "B..." <bcwatson@h...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard.  This saves a copy
                            > > of your screen to the Windows clipboard.  Then run Paint and paste
                            > > it using the Edit menu.
                            > >
                            > > Barry
                            > >
                            > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
                            > > <rtyoungster@y...> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > <then take a screen shot,>
                            > > > Ok, OK, stupid question...
                            > > > How is this done?  Back in the old days I could do it but now, I
                            > > don't
                            > > > know how.
                            > > > Thanks,
                            > > > Cache on,
                            > > > Dick
                            > > >

                            > > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"

                            > > (One of

                            > > query.

                            > > screen shot,

                            > > the

                          • dhadad
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 2, 2006
                              Found an interesting solution with EarthComber.com. It's completely FREE!

                              You can sign up for a free account on their website, download the
                              software onto your PDA-- however, you also have to install an updater
                              on your PC. You select the maps by county and download them onto your
                              PDA main memory or SD card.

                              Travis county is 2.2MB.

                              You can zoom in/out on the maps, click on street names, pan the maps
                              sideways (with your stylus), find locations by entering the address
                              (seems like only businesses), etc, etc.

                              You can also create "Look Lists". I'm still figuring out how to
                              import GPX data into Earthcomber.

                              Dan (inspectorgadget)

                              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Nick Silkey
                              <nsilkey@...> wrote:

                              > A GC.com cache map? Or a map (topo, street, whatever) with caches
                              overlaid?

                              > Since the T650 has BT support, you could look into getting a BT GPSr.
                              > I hear TomTomNav5 calling ... :)
                              >
                              > On 2/1/06, dhadad <lists@...> wrote:
                              > > Does anyone have a way to put geocaching maps onto their PDA?
                              > >
                              > > I've already gone paperless for the listings. (I finally got a premium
                              > > memberships which allows me to get pocket queries in GPX format, then
                              > > I convert them using GPS Spinner then iSilo. Huh, you say? See more
                              > > here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperless_Geocaching and here:
                              > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching_Software)
                              > >
                              > > However, I'm trying to figure out how to put a good cache map on my
                              > > PDA. I know, I know... I shouldn't really need it since ultimately the
                              > > GPS can handle it-- however, as you might know my Magellan GPS right
                              > > now looks like crap and often it's not with me at the office (what,
                              > > you say?) or it's in my pack-- hence my need for having a map on my
                              > > PDA (treo 650).
                              > >
                              > > What I'd like ideally is an offline version of a cache map,
                              > > customized for me where I can pick out a cache off the map and get an
                              > > offline version of the log page. OFFLINE.
                              > >
                              > > Part of this whole effort was spawned from my printer crapping out.
                              > > They just don't make electronics like they used to...
                              > >
                              > > So far I've been able to convert GPS to KML and load it into Google
                              > > Earth on my laptop, which is way cool. And I've looked into Kmaps for
                              > > the PDA, but it seems to take up too much room on it and is best
                              > > ONLINE-- which is not what I want. I'd like some PDA mapping utility
                              > > that can take the GPX data or an equivalent thereof...
                              > >
                              > > Is anyone else wanting this or can relate their own paperless
                              experience??

                              > > Dan (inspectorgadget)
                              > >

                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                              > >

                              > --
                              > Nick Silkey
                              > a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
                              > N30 28.2' W097 46.6'

                            • semperquestio
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 3, 2006
                                I just started playing with Earthcomber today. Pretty good stuff,
                                especially for free, from what I've seen so far. I have no idea how
                                to get the data into the favorite locations, but I have posted a
                                note on the GC forums and on the GSAK forums for help on this and if
                                I get anything I'll pass it along.

                                Howard
                                (Semper Questio)

                                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dhadad" <lists@...>