Bird identification

  • Grajek
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 18, 2006
      Bird identification

      Can anyone here help me Identify a bird? I found a small bird while out caching and hiking tonight. The bird looks like a quail with a long beak. It is a Waterfowl, maybe some type of crane or fisher. Not  a Heron,  Whooping crane or King fisher. Found along the quite banks of the babbling Slaughter Creek. Along with the gently wispy winter rye, old tires, beer cans and other assorted garbage. :-)

      Thanks

      Grajek

    • Rod Bradley
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 19, 2006
        Maybe a snipe? Not a waterbird but similar habitat.
        bradrod.
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 19, 2006
          Bird identification
          When you say 'looks like a quail' -- does it have the topnot? Or that general size? [5 inches or so]
          And brownish? Any other markings?

          Of the herons, there are the Night Herons, which are greenish and small -- but they're still three plus times larger than a quail (though very similar in size to a large chukkar). Your best bet is to go into Wild Birds Unlimited and talk with them and look through their books. They are very knowledgable. [Well, some of them.]

          On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:49:49 -0600 "Grajek" <jgrajek@...> writes:

          Can anyone here help me Identify a bird? I found a small bird while out caching and hiking tonight. The bird looks like a quail with a long beak. It is a Waterfowl, maybe some type of crane or fisher. Not  a Heron,  Whooping crane or King fisher. Found along the quite banks of the babbling Slaughter Creek. Along with the gently wispy winter rye, old tires, beer cans and other assorted garbage. :-)

          Thanks

          Grajek

          @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
          [One of these days a guy is going to] show you a nice brand-new deck of cards on which the seal is not yet broken, and this guy is going to offer to bet you that he can make the Jack of Spades jump out of the deck and squirt cider in your ear. But son, do not bet this man, for as sure as you stand there you are going to wind up with an earful of cider." -- D.Runyon; Guys & Dolls
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 19, 2006
            Bird identification
            I was also thinking it might be a bittern.

[...]

            City park rental vacationCentral texas real estateCity park hotel sant just
            Central texas college onlineCentral texas college distance learningOutdoors

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Grajek
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 19, 2006
              Bird identification

              The bird was the same size as an adult quail and the coloring was very simulare to a quail or pheasant. The tail feathers where not as big as a quail’s  or pheasant’s. The head is what I first saw not to be a quail and then I noticed a the long crane like beak. Then I knew for sure it wasn’t a quail. Seems like there cannot be that many waterfowl that look like this. Although the bird was very young and huddled like quail when they covey up.

              Thanks for direction of Wild Birds Unl.

              Grajek

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 19, 2006
                Bird identification

                Night-Heron for sure. Did not know there where any around here. First time I have run across a Night-Heron. It was strong enough to fly away so all is well.

                Thanks

[...]

                §          Visit your group "CentralTexasGeocachers" on the web.

                §          To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                §          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 19, 2006
                  Bird identification
                  They are really cool birds. I like 'em a lot.
                  And, yup, they hang out around here.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 19, 2006
                    Bird identification
                    What did it taste like?
                    Can anyone here help me Identify a bird? I found a small bird while out caching and hiking tonight. The bird looks like a quail with a long beak. It is a Waterfowl, maybe some type of crane or fisher. Not  a Heron,  Whooping crane or King fisher. Found along the quite banks of the babbling Sl

                    Thanks

                    Grajek

                  • Essiar
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 19, 2006
                      ROFLMAO!!! HEHE!

                      <wlind@a...> wrote:

                      > Bird identificationWhat did it taste like?

                    • Alan
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 19, 2006
                        Chicken?

                        Wayne Lind wrote:

                        > What did it taste like?
                      • Grajek
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 19, 2006
                          More like Spotted Owl with a hint Golden Cheek Warbler.