Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: New GPS or the old ball and chain

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 6, 2006
      That, too....
      Sadly, my experience with electronics is that they are NOT built to last
      forever (planned obsolescence???). And, well, o-ring and sealant material
      does degrade over time/use.
      (I'd still TRY writing them)

      On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 02:32:12 -0000 "Brent" <brbapb@...> writes:
      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dhadad" <lists@s...>
      >
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > I feel better knowing that they are roughly equivalent in quality
      >
      > and
      > > capability. Since I have Magellan software and experience, I
      > might
      > > stick with them. I'm just bummed about the battery compartment
      > leak.
      > > When they said "waterproof"...
      > >
      > > From their site:
      > > Waterproof
      > > SporTrak Map is sealed to IEC-529 IPX7 specifications – and it
      > floats!
      > >
      > > Isn't that false advertising???
      > >
      > > Dan
      > >

      > To quote your earlier statement:
      >
      > "I've got a Magellan Sportrak Map that I've
      > had for over 3 years which now has a messed up screen after being
      > in
      > the ocean and having seawater all over the electronics."
      >
      > Unfortunately all rubber o-rings and gaskets progressively harden
      > and/or dry rot over time. I doubt anyone's GPSr will remain
      > waterproof forever.
      >
      > Brent

      A high wire fence surrounds the aerodrome ...and then a deep ditch. Where
      is there another aerodrome fenced against wild animals? ...It would be a
      hard fate to go down in the memory of one's friends as having been
      tripped up by a wandering zebra. 'Tried to take off and hit a zebra!' It
      lacks even the dignity of crashing into an anthill. --Beryl Markham