Unknown Cache near Dell Diamond

  • David Campbell
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 5, 2006
      I went out to try for FTF on Arrgh! (waypoint GCRV1B) today. Couldn't find it, so I spent some time wandering the trails. I found a micro cache while scouting possible hiding spots. The log inside was soaking wet but it had been signed once in April and once in December of 2005. There was the usual geocache site wording but no name for the cache. I couldn't find it on gc.com. Does anyone know what this cache is or who hid it? I don't want to post details about where it is hidden in case it is still active, but I don't believe it is.
      Thanks!
      BackroadsGal (Lisa)

      Yahoo! Photos
    • gtbevo2000
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 5, 2006
        I'm sorry - I'll have to put my thinking cap on and see what I can
        think of in the area. Right now, I can't think because I am
        laughing so hard at Stratman that I can't even see straight!! OMG -
        everyone has got to read his log from this cache!!! I've never even
        met the guy and now I have an indelible picture of him inked into my
        brain!!!!!!

        Alyson/GTBevo

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, David Campbell
        <sc7eht@y...> wrote:

        > I went out to try for FTF on Arrgh! (waypoint GCRV1B) today.
        Couldn't find it, so I spent some time wandering the trails. I found
        a micro cache while scouting possible hiding spots. The log inside
        was soaking wet but it had been signed once in April and once in
        December of 2005. There was the usual geocache site wording but no
        name for the cache. I couldn't find it on gc.com. Does anyone know
        what this cache is or who hid it? I don't want to post details about
        where it is hidden in case it is still active, but I don't believe
        it is.
        > Thanks!
        > BackroadsGal (Lisa)
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Photos
        > Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events,
        holidays, whatever.

      • semperquestio
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 5, 2006
          There's 1 nearby active micro called Dell Trail (GCN5BH) near the
          stadium. There is another fairly new one in Old Settler's Park
          called Play Ball (GCRKV5). Other than that, as far as I know, there
          havn't been any micro's in the Dell Diamond/Old Settlers' Park area
          for quite some time. At least since Jan 04 when I started caching.

          Howard
          Semper Questio

          <sc7eht@y...> wrote:

          > I went out to try for FTF on Arrgh! (waypoint GCRV1B) today.
          Couldn't find it, so I spent some time wandering the trails. I found
          a micro cache while scouting possible hiding spots. The log inside
          was soaking wet but it had been signed once in April and once in
          December of 2005. There was the usual geocache site wording but no
          name for the cache. I couldn't find it on gc.com. Does anyone know
          what this cache is or who hid it? I don't want to post details about
          where it is hidden in case it is still active, but I don't believe
          it is.
          > Thanks!
          > BackroadsGal (Lisa)
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Yahoo! Photos
          > Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events,
          holidays, whatever.

        • Nick Silkey
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 5, 2006
            The only micros near there are:

            GCRFAN - disabled, and not really near the Diamond
            GCRK5V - new GeoMire hide. I have not visited it, but I doubt its a
            'conventional' micro based on past logs.

            The rest are smalls and larger.

            I cant seem to find anything that has corresponding log dates.

            The mystery continues ...

            --
            Nick Silkey
            a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 5, 2006
              I think this could at one time been:

              "The Brambles at Old Settlers" which was at N30 31.992 W097 37.481

              I only know this from the "Austin 2pi Triangulation"

              Chris 'Geomire' was sent an email last week regarding a cache like
              the one you described, but they mentioned the coordinates:

              N30 31.961 W097 37.559

              Close, but not close enough though. Appears there is some old geo-trash
              out there. Maybe the Wayne and Candy remember what was once out there
              hidden in that area :)

              -paul
              HiDude_98
            • Wayne Lind

                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 5, 2006
                  LOL. Too funny. I did it once when I was a kid. Felt like I was hit in
                  the back with a house. At what point does the "Law of Diminishing
                  Returns" kick in? :-)

                  <sc7eht@y...> wrote:

                  > I went out to try for FTF on Arrgh! (waypoint GCRV1B) today.
                  Couldn't find it, so I spent some time wandering the trails. I found
                  a micro cache while scouting possible hiding spots. The log inside
                  was soaking wet but it had been signed once in April and once in
                  December of 2005. There was the usual geocache site wording but no
                  name for the cache. I couldn't find it on gc.com. Does anyone know
                  what this cache is or who hid it? I don't want to post details about
                  where it is hidden in case it is still active, but I don't believe
                  it is.
                  > Thanks!
                  > BackroadsGal (Lisa)
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------
                  > Yahoo! Photos
                  > Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events,
                  holidays, whatever.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Lowracer
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 5, 2006
                    Just a thought, it's possible that it's a cache that's not listed on
                    geocaching.com... There are other listing sites as well as "private
                    label" caches.

                    Also, it's possible that the container you found is the final in a
                    puzzle cache.

                    -mark.

                    <sc7eht@y...> wrote:

                    >I found a micro cache while scouting possible hiding spots.
                  • Dick Young
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 5, 2006
                      Back in the dark ages, 01-02, Boys of Summer was near the Diamond. I
                      thought it was a Three Lanes cache but could not find it listed in
                      their profile. Some of the pioneers, Pumpkin Princess, might remember
                      who placed 'Boys.' Micros were certainly not in vogue then however.
                      Cache on,
                      Dick AKA Blizzard

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Lowracer"

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 5, 2006
                        Hmmm, but for it to have a log from 05 it would have had to been active up until recently. I remember a 3 lanes cache at a baseball diamond, but that was way out in south Austin.

                        <lowracer@c...> wrote:

                        > Just a thought, it's possible that it's a cache that's not listed on
                        > geocaching.com...  There are other listing sites as well as "private
                        > label" caches.
                        >
                        > Also, it's possible that the container you found is the final in a
                        > puzzle cache.
                        >
                        > -mark.
                        >
                        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, David Campbell
                        > <sc7eht@y...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > >I found a micro cache while scouting possible hiding spots.

                      • Mark Gessner
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 5, 2006
                          It could have been logged by muggles.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 5, 2006
                            Found it...
                            Boys of Summer-GC1029
                            by Eric, Jackie, and Elijah [profile]
                            User's Web Page
                            N 30° 31.747 W 097° 37.840

                            Not likely the debris is from this oldtimer!

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, palbers@a... wrote:

                            > I think this could at one time been:
                            >
                            > "The Brambles at Old Settlers" which was at N30 31.992 W097 37.481
                            >
                            > I only know this from the "Austin 2pi Triangulation"
                            >
                            > Chris 'Geomire' was sent an email last week regarding a cache like
                            > the one you described, but they mentioned the coordinates:
                            >
                            > N30 31.961 W097 37.559
                            >
                            > Close, but not close enough though. Appears there is some old geo-trash
                            > out there. Maybe the Wayne and Candy remember what was once out there
                            > hidden in that area :)
                            >
                            > -paul
                            > HiDude_98

                          • Wayne Lind
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 5, 2006
                              It was called 3 strikes, your out GC4BB5.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 5, 2006
                                Wow, that is an oldie!
                                Not likely the debris is from this oldtimer!

                                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, palbers@a... wrote:

                                > I think this could at one time been:
                                >
                                > "The Brambles at Old Settlers" which was at N30 31.992 W097 37.481
                                >
                                > I only know this from the "Austin 2pi Triangulation"
                                >
                                > Chris 'Geomire' was sent an email last week regarding a cache like
                                > the one you described, but they mentioned the coordinates:
                                >
                                > N30 31.961 W097 37.559
                                >
                                > Close, but not close enough though. Appears there is some old geo-trash
                                > out there. Maybe the Wayne and Candy remember what was once out there
                                > hidden in that area :)
                                >
                                > -paul
                                > HiDude_98

                              • Dick Young
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 5, 2006
                                  Why can I remember old cache names and can not remember where I put my
                                  car keys?

                                  <wlind@a...> wrote:

                                  > Wow, that is an oldie!

                                • Nick Silkey
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 5, 2006
                                    Its not a Central Texas Cache Scramble 35mm is it? I remember
                                    stumbling onto a yellow tupperware for CTCS in St. Eds and being
                                    really confused. :)

                                    --
                                    Nick Silkey
                                    a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 5, 2006
                                      No parts of the scramble are in that area, but thanks for the segue. I plan to convert the Central Texas Cache scramble from a multi to a single point cache on February 1, so anyone who wants to complete it as a multi should probably start. For a while, I will leave the multi out for anyone who wants to complete it that way.

                                      Wayne.

                                      --
                                      Nick Silkey
                                      a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 6, 2006
                                        Talent!

                                        On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 03:41:42 -0000 "Dick Young" <rtyoungster@...>
                                        writes:
                                        > Why can I remember old cache names and can not remember where I put
                                        > my
                                        > car keys?
                                        >
                                        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Lind"
                                        > <wlind@a...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Wow, that is an oldie!

                                        ---
                                        > > --

                                        A high wire fence surrounds the aerodrome ...and then a deep ditch. Where
                                        is there another aerodrome fenced against wild animals? ...It would be a
                                        hard fate to go down in the memory of one's friends as having been
                                        tripped up by a wandering zebra. 'Tried to take off and hit a zebra!' It
                                        lacks even the dignity of crashing into an anthill. --Beryl Markham
                                      • Dick Young
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 6, 2006
                                          But where are my keys!

                                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Barb Jernigan

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 6, 2006
                                            Thanks for all the responses on this. It's not any of the caches mentioned, though. It is very near the Dell Trail cache. It could be the final of a puzzle cache, but I don't think so, as only two people have found it. In April a family signed what looks like their real names, but I can't remember it. In December someone named TexMak (I think) signed. The front of the log had the "Official Geocache" wording that you see at most caches, so I don't think it was from another geocaching website.  On another note, it's not a film canister, but a key holder.
                                            I'll take another look at it and get some coords next time I'm out that way.
                                            BackroadsGal (Lisa)

                                            Lisa Campbell <sc7eht@...> wrote:
                                            I went out to try for FTF on Arrgh! (waypoint GCRV1B) today. Couldn't find it, so I spent some time wandering the trails. I found a micro cache while scouting possible hiding spots. The log inside was soaking wet but it had been signed once in April and once in December of 2005. There was the usual geocache site wording but no name for the cache. I couldn't find it on gc.com. Does anyone know what this cache is or who hid it? I don't want to post details about where it is hidden in case it is still active, but I don't believe it is.
                                            Thanks!
                                            BackroadsGal (Lisa)

                                            Yahoo! Photos

                                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                            Yahoo! Photos

                                          • Lowracer
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 6, 2006
                                              Many hiders on other sites simply adapt most of the wording of the
                                              standard geocaching.com stashnote, so don't be too quick to rule out
                                              other sites yet. Unless you saw "geocaching.com" on the stashnote
                                              that is...

                                              Also don't rule out the final of a puzzle quite yet either. I know of
                                              at least one Austin area puzzle that never had ANY finders. One that
                                              had only two finders would not surprise me.

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 6, 2006
                                                House Elves have 'em.
                                                Ask nicely, they'll put them in an obvious place you've already looked a
                                                dozen times (it's REALLY rude when they put them in your hand)

                                              • Curtis Wyman
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 6, 2006
                                                  About yesterday in the park...

                                                  The Arrrgh! cache is NOT, I repeat, is NOT a treacherous terrain cache!!!  It is a very nice walk in a very nice park.  Please don't let my log discourage you from checking it out.  At the very beginning, the puzzle was messed up and so I ended up in places I probably didn't need to be.  He has fixed the puzzle now so it will probably work better next time I try.  HiDude (the freak from the north) and his butt buddy...I mean...tush brother... managed to find it even when the puzzle page was broken, and to them I say WOW!  I told the owner that they would have found it even if the coordinates had been 10 miles off!

                                                  As for me, I am fine now.  I have been having mild chest pains since the incident and my back hurts from falling out of the tree.  I also think I lost my cell phone somewhere in the middle of all of that mess.  Amazingly, nothing below the belt is even sore (or burned off)!

                                                  So go out there and find that cache, and my phone :)

                                                  Curtis (Stratman)

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jan 7, 2006
                                                    Retrace your steps with a friend and call yourself?

                                                    Keep an eye on yourself -- the downside from a shock large enough to knock you out....
                                                    OTOH, if you want company in your misery, go to the MythBusters fan site and search for electric fence in the message boards. You have a LOT of sadder but wiser company. Quote one: "I've never peed on ANY fence since."

                                                    @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jan 7, 2006
                                                      Barb,

                                                      I actually just gave up peeing all together!

                                                      @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jan 7, 2006
                                                        Curtis, you dont want that phone anyway. Since you penile arc'ed, I
                                                        bet its fried. :)

                                                        --
                                                        Nick Silkey
                                                        a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jan 7, 2006
                                                          So now you pee all apart? <G>

                                                          Seriously, I'm glad to hear that you don't seem injured by all of this.  However, electical shocks have been known to have long term effects, so if anything changes in your mental/physical health in the next month, do consult a doctor.

                                                          Best (and hoping that there is NO need to consult a doctor), Russ aka waterweasel

                                                          @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jan 7, 2006
                                                            Well, your bladder's only gonna put up with that for so long.... but I do 'hear' ya.
                                                            =gentle smile=

                                                            You do have adventures, don't you, my friend?

                                                            @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                                                            A high wire fence surrounds the aerodrome ...and then a deep ditch. Where is there another aerodrome fenced against wild animals? ...It would be a hard fate to go down in the memory of one's friends as having been tripped up by a wandering zebra. 'Tried to take off and hit a zebra!' It lacks even the dignity of crashing into an anthill. --Beryl Markham

                                                            @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                                                            A high wire fence surrounds the aerodrome ...and then a deep ditch. Where is there another aerodrome fenced against wild animals? ...It would be a hard fate to go down in the memory of one's friends as having been tripped up by a wandering zebra. 'Tried to take off and hit a zebra!' It lacks even the dignity of crashing into an anthill. --Beryl Markham
                                                          • dscherer1966
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jan 8, 2006
                                                              You can use the mapping function from GC.com. There is a place to
                                                              lsit archived caches/ That may point you to the cache.

                                                              <sc7eht@y...> wrote:

                                                              > I went out to try for FTF on Arrgh! (waypoint GCRV1B) today.
                                                              Couldn't find it, so I spent some time wandering the trails. I found
                                                              a micro cache while scouting possible hiding spots. The log inside
                                                              was soaking wet but it had been signed once in April and once in
                                                              December of 2005. There was the usual geocache site wording but no
                                                              name for the cache. I couldn't find it on gc.com. Does anyone know
                                                              what this cache is or who hid it? I don't want to post details about
                                                              where it is hidden in case it is still active, but I don't believe
                                                              it is.
                                                              > Thanks!
                                                              > BackroadsGal (Lisa)
                                                              >

                                                              > ---------------------------------
                                                              > Yahoo! Photos
                                                              > Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events,
                                                              holidays, whatever.

                                                            • Chris Rabel
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Jan 9, 2006
                                                                Believe it might be "Dell Trail" by cooksters (
                                                                GCN5BH ). I remeber finding it in October in that
                                                                area.

                                                                --- dscherer1966 <dscherer1966@...> wrote:

                                                                > You can use the mapping function from GC.com. There
                                                                > is a place to
                                                                > lsit archived caches/ That may point you to the
                                                                > cache.
                                                                >
                                                                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, David
                                                                > Campbell
                                                                > <sc7eht@y...> wrote:
                                                                > >
                                                                > > I went out to try for FTF on Arrgh! (waypoint
                                                                > GCRV1B) today.
                                                                > Couldn't find it, so I spent some time wandering the
                                                                > trails. I found
                                                                > a micro cache while scouting possible hiding spots.
                                                                > The log inside
                                                                > was soaking wet but it had been signed once in April
                                                                > and once in
                                                                > December of 2005. There was the usual geocache site
                                                                > wording but no
                                                                > name for the cache. I couldn't find it on gc.com.
                                                                > Does anyone know
                                                                > what this cache is or who hid it? I don't want to
                                                                > post details about
                                                                > where it is hidden in case it is still active, but I
                                                                > don't believe
                                                                > it is.
                                                                > > Thanks!
                                                                > > BackroadsGal (Lisa)

                                                                > > Yahoo! Photos
                                                                > > Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add
                                                                > photos, events,
                                                                > holidays, whatever.

                                                                Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                                                                dsl.yahoo.com