Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Digest Number 1303

  • KK5VN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2006
        A GPS is just a radio, and fancy calculator all wrapped up into one package. The radio receivers all work, just about as well as the other. I have been involved in radio for quite a while. Your key here is the antenna, when locating a cache.  The Magellan Sportrak
       series, and the Garmin 60 series have a quad helix antenna. Satellite communication is best done with that antenna. So, for accuracy under tree cover, choose the best antenna. (quad helix). After that, it is just features like routing, maps, etc. The 60CS is a Cadillac when it comes to routing, and the Magellans I think have better maps.  What is really disappointing, is that any radio over a yellow etrex, should have an external antenna jack, so the user can effectively upgrade the performance of their unit. Instead, the factory makes the cacher shell out the big  bucks for that  5 dollar antenna.
      Patrick
      Love2Fly

      From: "dhadad" <lists@...>
      Subject: Re: New GPS or the old ball and chain

      Ok, so without starting a GPS-brand fight....

      What are other advantages/disadvantages between Magellan and Garmin---
      I'm looking for facts, not so much opinions.

      Please no fighting....