New GPS or the old ball and chain

  • dscherer1966
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
      I have had my Magellan Meridian for at least 3 years. Been dropped
      (several times), placed in a fountain, bounced around my car multiple
      times, flown to seattle and back and drove me to Colorado. It has
      served me well and has been very trustworthy. I would love a new toy,
      but I cant seem to get rid of the old bugger.
    • dhadad
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
        I've got the same dilemma. I've got a Magellan Sportrak Map that I've
        had for over 3 years which now has a messed up screen after being in
        the ocean and having seawater all over the electronics. The messed up
        screen was featured on News 8 Austin in fact!

        The 60CS seems tempting with it's altimeter and electronic compass--
        that would be nice. And a color hi-res screen.

        But sadly it's not in the budget after Christmas. Does Garmin sell
        cheap refurbished models?? I got my Treo 650 at a great price since it
        was refurbished.

        Dan (inspectorgadget)

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dscherer1966"
        <dscherer1966@y...> wrote:

        > I have had my Magellan Meridian for at least 3 years. Been dropped
        > (several times), placed in a fountain, bounced around my car multiple
        > times, flown to seattle and back and drove me to Colorado. It has
        > served me well and has been very trustworthy. I would love a new toy,
        > but I cant seem to get rid of the old bugger.

      • Nick Silkey
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
          Wait for the X series to hit the streets, then the 60CS should drop a
          bit in price.

          On 1/4/06, dhadad <lists@...> wrote:
          > I've got the same dilemma. I've got a Magellan Sportrak Map that I've
          > had for over 3 years which now has a messed up screen after being in
          > the ocean and having seawater all over the electronics. The messed up
          > screen was featured on News 8 Austin in fact!
          >
          > The 60CS seems tempting with it's altimeter and electronic compass--
          > that would be nice. And a color hi-res screen.
          >
          > But sadly it's not in the budget after Christmas. Does Garmin sell
          > cheap refurbished models?? I got my Treo 650 at a great price since it
          > was refurbished.
          >
          > Dan (inspectorgadget)
          >
          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dscherer1966"
          > <dscherer1966@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have had my Magellan Meridian for at least 3 years. Been dropped
          > > (several times), placed in a fountain, bounced around my car multiple
          > > times, flown to seattle and back and drove me to Colorado. It has
          > > served me well and has been very trustworthy. I would love a new toy,
          > > but I cant seem to get rid of the old bugger.

          Nick Silkey
          a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
          N30 28.2' W097 46.6'
        • Brent
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
            If you want to stay with Magellan, you can get a Sportrak Color; it
            doesn't have an altimeter, but it does have a compass and color
            screen. It can be shipped to Austin for less than $205 from these
            businesses:
            http://tinyurl.com/dvfhn

            Brent

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dhadad" <lists@s...>
            wrote:

            > I've got the same dilemma. I've got a Magellan Sportrak Map that
            I've
            > had for over 3 years which now has a messed up screen after being
            in
            > the ocean and having seawater all over the electronics. The
            messed up
            > screen was featured on News 8 Austin in fact!
            >
            > The 60CS seems tempting with it's altimeter and electronic compass-
            -
            > that would be nice. And a color hi-res screen.
            >
            > But sadly it's not in the budget after Christmas. Does Garmin sell
            > cheap refurbished models?? I got my Treo 650 at a great price
            since it
            > was refurbished.
            >
            > Dan (inspectorgadget)
            >
            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dscherer1966"
            > <dscherer1966@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have had my Magellan Meridian for at least 3 years. Been
            dropped
            > > (several times), placed in a fountain, bounced around my car
            multiple
            > > times, flown to seattle and back and drove me to Colorado. It
            has
            > > served me well and has been very trustworthy. I would love a
            new toy,
            > > but I cant seem to get rid of the old bugger.

          • Essiar
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
              I have to agree with that. My old Magellan Sportrak Pro seems to find
              the caches as well as any other GPS on the market. It's been
              everywhere, through every type of torture. Works like a charm. Those
              new Garmin X models do look nice but I just can't quite convince
              myself to buy a gps that forces you to either view the topo OR the
              streets. I am addicted to seeing them at the same time. When Garmin
              comes out with map software where you can view both topo and the roads
              like Magellan's I would consider it. Till then, I use the old
              Sportrak. When it dies I'll look at the Explorist.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
                For another $70 you can get the Explorist 600. I've seen it around
                on the internet on sale for as low as $275, free shipping, no tax
                and a $50 rebate brings it to a grand total of $275. It has every
                feature. altimiter, thermometer all that stuff. Great color screen,
                Awesome sensitivity, takes an SD card, 3 axis electronic compass,
                geocaching manager software, etc. And you can see the streets and
                topo at the same time! :-)

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent" <brbapb@y...>

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
                  Ok, so without starting a GPS-brand fight....

                  What are other advantages/disadvantages between Magellan and Garmin---
                  I'm looking for facts, not so much opinions.

                  Please no fighting....

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Essiar" <essiar@t...>

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
                    Well, off the top of my head...

                    Both companies have units that include a compass, barometer,
                    altimeter, thermometer, and do area calculation.

                    There are several Garmin units that will do turn-by-turn directions if
                    you have the CitySelect software to go with it. There are several
                    Magellan units that will do turn-by-turn directions if you have the
                    DirectRoute software to go with it. Both of these softwares provide
                    excellent street maps and POIs, but do not have any topo information.
                    For that you have to add (buy)separate topo software. (TOPO US for
                    Garmin, or TOPO 3D for Magellan.) Topo US is very good about showing
                    lots of old jeep roads and just about every stream out there. The down
                    side is it doesn't have many paved streets on it at all. TOPO 3D on
                    the other hand, shows all the same roads that the street-routing
                    programs have, but doesn't show as many dirt roads or small streams.
                    In addition, it does allow you to view things in 3D on your PC,
                    including tilt, rotate, etc. Neither of these programs/maps have
                    street routing/directions, but you can load both types of maps onto
                    both companies units by using an SD card, and while you can't view
                    them both at the same time, you can load them both and switch back and
                    forth between them.

                    Two advantages Magellan has enjoyed in the past is unlimited storage
                    on SD cards, and many people felt it had better reception/lock on the
                    satellites, especially in adverse conditions such as in valleys/under
                    trees etc. But with the release of the new "X" units from Garmin,
                    those will be going away.

                    In addition, the newest Magellan units are limited to the following
                    four screens: Compass, Map, Large Data, Position, while the Garmins
                    have several more available. Magellan has had more screens in the
                    past, and people are complaining to them about this, so that could
                    change with future firmware upgrades.

                    Also, some Garmin units have an elevation computer provides current
                    elevation, ascent/descent rate, minimum and maximum elevation, total
                    ascent and descent, average and maximum ascent and descent rate, as
                    well as a Trip computer that provides odometer, stopped time, moving
                    average, overall average, total time, max speed, and more.

                    So it really depends on what features are most important to you. And
                    if you have already invested in maps/software from one of the
                    companies, you can save some money by not switching companies.

                    If I have made any errors or omissions, I'm sure someone will correct
                    that.

                    Hope this helps!

                    Brent

                    (BANDA)

                    wrote:

                    > Ok, so without starting a GPS-brand fight....
                    >
                    > What are other advantages/disadvantages between Magellan and Garmin--
                    -
                    > I'm looking for facts, not so much opinions.
                    >
                    > Please no fighting....

                  • Candy Lind
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 4, 2006
                      I think it's all in what you are used to. The different mfgr's use
                      different algorithms for calculating and estimating position, which
                      makes some difference in what you might get under cover, or whether you
                      over-run your waypoint more or less, but I think if someone ''forced''
                      a Magellan on me and I got used to the operating system and what its
                      little quirks are, I would be just as happy with it as I am with my
                      Garmin. I suppose some might depend on the software available, as well.

                      Candy

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 5, 2006
                        Thanks,

                        I feel better knowing that they are roughly equivalent in quality and
                        capability. Since I have Magellan software and experience, I might
                        stick with them. I'm just bummed about the battery compartment leak.
                        When they said "waterproof"...

                        From their site:
                        Waterproof
                        SporTrak Map is sealed to IEC-529 IPX7 specifications – and it floats!

                        Isn't that false advertising???

                        Dan

                        wrote:

> [...]
                        > well as a Trip computer that provides odometer, stopped time, moving
                        > average, overall average, total time, max speed, and more.
                        >
                        > So it really depends on what features are most important to you. And
                        > if you have already invested in maps/software from one of the
                        > companies, you can save some money by not switching companies.
                        >
                        > If I have made any errors or omissions, I'm sure someone will correct
                        > that.
                        >
                        > Hope this helps!
                        >
                        > Brent
                        >
                        > (BANDA)
                        >

                        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dhadad" <lists@s...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Ok, so without starting a GPS-brand fight....
                        > >
                        > > What are other advantages/disadvantages between Magellan and Garmin--
                        > -
                        > > I'm looking for facts, not so much opinions.

                      • Brent
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 5, 2006
                          wrote:

                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > I feel better knowing that they are roughly equivalent in quality
                          and
                          > capability. Since I have Magellan software and experience, I might
                          > stick with them. I'm just bummed about the battery compartment
                          leak.
                          > When they said "waterproof"...
                          >
                          > From their site:
                          > Waterproof
                          > SporTrak Map is sealed to IEC-529 IPX7 specifications – and it
                          floats!

                          > Isn't that false advertising???
                          >
                          > Dan

                          To quote your earlier statement:

                          "I've got a Magellan Sportrak Map that I've
                          had for over 3 years which now has a messed up screen after being in
                          the ocean and having seawater all over the electronics."

                          Unfortunately all rubber o-rings and gaskets progressively harden
                          and/or dry rot over time. I doubt anyone's GPSr will remain
                          waterproof forever.

                          Brent
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 6, 2006
                            So write/call them....
                            Sometimes individuals within a run are enough off spec to fail....

                            LLBean, for example, has taken back a coat, oh, a year after we bought
                            it, because the first time we washed it the lining melted. Of course my
                            letter was: "This is WAY out of reasonable warranty, but I thought you
                            should know...." And they said, "Oh my goodness! Another one is in the
                            mail!!!"
                            Not all companies are like that. However, if the spec suggests waterproof
                            and it's not, then....

                            imho ymmd

                            On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 02:02:48 -0000 "dhadad" <lists@...>
                            writes:
> [...]
                            > >
                            > > So it really depends on what features are most important to you.
                            > And
                            > > if you have already invested in maps/software from one of the
                            > > companies, you can save some money by not switching companies.
                            > >
                            > > If I have made any errors or omissions, I'm sure someone will
                            > correct
                            > > that.
                            > >
                            > > Hope this helps!
                            > >
                            > > Brent
                            > >
                            > > (BANDA)
                            > >

                            > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dhadad"
                            > <lists@s...>
                            > > wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Ok, so without starting a GPS-brand fight....
                            > > >
                            > > > What are other advantages/disadvantages between Magellan and
                            > Garmin--
                            > > -
                            > > > I'm looking for facts, not so much opinions.

                            A high wire fence surrounds the aerodrome ...and then a deep ditch. Where
                            is there another aerodrome fenced against wild animals? ...It would be a
                            hard fate to go down in the memory of one's friends as having been
                            tripped up by a wandering zebra. 'Tried to take off and hit a zebra!' It
                            lacks even the dignity of crashing into an anthill. --Beryl Markham
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 6, 2006
                              That, too....
                              Sadly, my experience with electronics is that they are NOT built to last
                              forever (planned obsolescence???). And, well, o-ring and sealant material
                              does degrade over time/use.
                              (I'd still TRY writing them)