Garmin launches new products at CES

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
      Probably old news to many but Garmin officially launched it's new 'X' GPS units at the CES show in Vegas today.

      Here's a link to the press release

      They are on Amazon and many other sites with a shipping date of Q1 2006.

      Now - how do I persuade my wife that I need to replace the 60CS that's only one year old?

      Mike

    • Dick Young
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
        Probably related ...Garmin stock price increased 1.01 today. GRMN has
        been a high flyer for the past 6 months.

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike"
        <geocaching@m...> wrote:

        > Probably old news to many but Garmin officially launched it's new
        'X' GPS units at the CES show in Vegas today.

        > Here's a link to the press release
        >
        > They are on Amazon and many other sites with a shipping date of Q1 2006.
        >
        > Now - how do I persuade my wife that I need to replace the 60CS
        that's only one year old?

        > Mike

      • Renee
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
          >>Now - how do I persuade my wife that I need to replace the 60CS that's only one year old?

          "accidentally" drop it in the lake with the battery cover off?
        • Nick Silkey
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
            Actually, 60CSes are water-resistant and not water-proof. The sister
            76 series GPSrs are 'waterproof' (and float too!). I dont think my
            60CS would survive being dropped into ... say ... the San Marcos River
            ... ;)

            --
            Nick Silkey
            a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
              Dont they use a new chip also, with faster positioning AND with
              expandable memory slots?

              This is good news!
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
                Yep - it's the new chipset I'm really interested in. Works in low
                signal areas, ravines, under tree canopy etc.

                I like the Garmin because of the auto-routing. When I travel I take my
                60CS and it really helps when driving around an unfamiliar city.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "henrysnewemail"
                <henrysnewemail@y...> wrote:

                > Dont they use a new chip also, with faster positioning AND with
                > expandable memory slots?
                >
                > This is good news!

              • Brent
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
                  Just a quick note about something I noticed while researching my
                  answer to Dan's post: While all the new "X" units will have
                  expandable memory, only the 60 series and 76 series will get the new
                  SiRF chips. Could be an important distinction to some folks. Here's
                  more info on the new chip: http://www.sirf.com/products-ss3.html

                  Brent

                  <geocaching@m...> wrote:

                  > Yep - it's the new chipset I'm really interested in. Works in low
                  > signal areas, ravines, under tree canopy etc.
                  >
                  > I like the Garmin because of the auto-routing. When I travel I
                  take my
                  > 60CS and it really helps when driving around an unfamiliar city.
                  >
                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "henrysnewemail"
                  > <henrysnewemail@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Dont they use a new chip also, with faster positioning AND with
                  > > expandable memory slots?
                  > >
                  > > This is good news!

                • Candy Lind
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006

                    Now you just HAD to bring THAT up again, DIDN'T YOU, Nick??? Now I'll NEVER get that X model ...

                    Candy

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Nick Silkey <nsilkey@g...> wrote:

                    > Actually, 60CSes are water-resistant and not water-proof. The sister
                    > 76 series GPSrs are 'waterproof' (and float too!). I dont think my
                    > 60CS would survive being dropped into ... say ... the San Marcos River

                    > > "accidentally" drop it in the lake with the battery cover off?

                    > > City park rental vacation Central texas real estate City park hotel sant just
                    > > Central texas college online Central texas college distance learning Outdoors

                    > > ________________________________
                    >

                    > --
                    > Nick Silkey
                    > a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'