GC.com Instant notifications

  • Brent
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2005
      I have GC.com Instant Notifications set up to go to Road Runner,
      Yahoo, and Gmail accounts, as well as a Verizon cell phone. The only
      one that works is Road Runner. Has anyone had success getting them at
      any of these other types of accounts? Is there a problem with getting
      them to more than one account?

      Thanks,

      Brent
    • Nick Silkey
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2005
        FYI, I get Sprint SMS notifications maybe 50% of the time.

        On 12/29/05, Brent <brbapb@...> wrote:
        > I have GC.com Instant Notifications set up to go to Road Runner,
        > Yahoo, and Gmail accounts, as well as a Verizon cell phone. The only
        > one that works is Road Runner. Has anyone had success getting them at
        > any of these other types of accounts? Is there a problem with getting
        > them to more than one account?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Brent

        Nick Silkey
        a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
        N30 28.2' W097 46.6'
      • palbers@austin.rr.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2005
          I have another guess regarding why some email accounts and
          phone services don't get these notifications reliably. I have
          a feeling that it may be due to the email coming from 'noreply'
          and having html links primarily. Two things that easily could
          be tagged as spam by many spam filters out there. Since Road
          Runner doesn't automatically filter out spam for us, we get the
          mail. Have you checked the "Bulk" mail folder on Yahoo to see
          if by chance it is getting dumped there automatically? Would be
          great if it was, as that is fixable on most provider's email
          system. Not sure about Verizon though. That might take a call
          to have them add a rule for 'noreply@...'?

          Pure speculation, but maybe it will help.

          Best Regards,

          -paul
          HiDude_98
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 30, 2005
            I don't think that's the whole story Paul as I get them OK on a GMail
            account.

            To avoid Spam on my Blackberry I filter all my messages though a GMail
            account before forwarding it to the Blackberry account. The GC
            notifications make it through that chain fine. Sometimes seems to be
            delayed though.

            Mike

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, palbers@a... wrote:

            > I have another guess regarding why some email accounts and
            > phone services don't get these notifications reliably. I have
            > a feeling that it may be due to the email coming from 'noreply'
            > and having html links primarily. Two things that easily could
            > be tagged as spam by many spam filters out there. Since Road
            > Runner doesn't automatically filter out spam for us, we get the
            > mail. Have you checked the "Bulk" mail folder on Yahoo to see
            > if by chance it is getting dumped there automatically? Would be
            > great if it was, as that is fixable on most provider's email
            > system. Not sure about Verizon though. That might take a call
            > to have them add a rule for 'noreply@g...'?
            >
            > Pure speculation, but maybe it will help.
            >
            > Best Regards,
            >
            > -paul
            > HiDude_98

          • Brent
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 30, 2005
              No, it's not going to the bulk file in Yahoo. I did try forwarding a
              notification from Roadrunner to the phone and that worked fine, so I
              think you may be right that it has something to do with the "no-
              reply". That doesn't explain why Mike gets them at Gmail and I don't
              though.

              Mike, is that the only address you have them sent to? I'm wondering
              if you can only use one address, even though it will let you specify
              more than one. (using several notifications.)

              Brent

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike"
              <geocaching@m...> wrote:

              > I don't think that's the whole story Paul as I get them OK on a
              GMail
              > account.
              >
              > To avoid Spam on my Blackberry I filter all my messages though a
              GMail
              > account before forwarding it to the Blackberry account. The GC
              > notifications make it through that chain fine. Sometimes seems to
              be
              > delayed though.
              >
              > Mike
              >
              > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, palbers@a... wrote:
              > >
              > > I have another guess regarding why some email accounts and
              > > phone services don't get these notifications reliably. I have
              > > a feeling that it may be due to the email coming from 'noreply'
              > > and having html links primarily. Two things that easily could
              > > be tagged as spam by many spam filters out there. Since Road
              > > Runner doesn't automatically filter out spam for us, we get the
              > > mail. Have you checked the "Bulk" mail folder on Yahoo to see
              > > if by chance it is getting dumped there automatically? Would be
              > > great if it was, as that is fixable on most provider's email
              > > system. Not sure about Verizon though. That might take a call
              > > to have them add a rule for 'noreply@g...'?
              > >
              > > Pure speculation, but maybe it will help.
              > >
              > > Best Regards,
              > >
              > > -paul
              > > HiDude_98

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 30, 2005
                Actually I do only send them to one address - but it's not the Gmail
                one. I send all my GC mail to a dedicated Geocaching incoming mail
                account on my own server (VPS really). I then forward from there to my
                regular email account, GMail and the Blackberry.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent" <brbapb@y...>