OT - Need help selecting a PC

  • Lowracer
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 22, 2005
      Been thinking of switching the home computer from iMac G5 to Linux on
      a PC.

      Getting the best Mac processor was easy, you just pick the highest
      number after the "G," for example G5 is better than G4. Simple.

      In the PC world it's not so easy, there's intel Xeon, Pentium,
      Altoidium, etc., plus then there's AMD. How do I find out what's the
      best CPU?

      Any of you PC geeks got a link that ranks these various processors
      from Intel and AMD? Something easy, I don't want to fry my brain,
      because I'll need every neuron I can spare for the Linux install.

      -mark
    • Roger Banks
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 22, 2005
        SWITCHING?!?!?!?!

        Blasphemy!!!!

        If you absolutely need linux, don't replace your Mac, you will be
        backballed from the fold. You are allowed to add a linux box to your
        network if you must.

        -- Roger

        --
        Roger Banks Applied Research Laboratories
        Engineering Scientist Associate 512/835-3069
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 22, 2005
          If you have to ask, then Linux is NOT for you. Only programmers/IT types should use Linux in the same since that only auto mechanics should own English cars (sorry, Mike). You do already have UNIX on that iMac if you're just a masochist.

          On the other hand, you're well on the road to understanding why Mac heads are Mac heads. If you switch now, you shall become a more powerful mac evangelist than you can possibly imagine.

          If you must, the Dual Core Athlon 64's are rather nice, especially for media where you need all the horsepower you can get.

          On Dec 22, 2005, at 4:54 PM, Lowracer wrote:

          Been thinking of switching the home computer from iMac G5 to Linux on
          a PC.

          Getting the best Mac processor was easy, you just pick the highest
          number after the "G," for example G5 is better than G4. Simple.

          In the PC world it's not so easy, there's intel Xeon, Pentium,
          Altoidium, etc., plus then there's AMD. How do I find out what's the
          best CPU?

          Any of you PC geeks got a link that ranks these various processors
          from Intel and AMD?  Something easy, I don't want to fry my brain,
          because I'll need every neuron I can spare for the Linux install.

          -mark

          City park rental vacation Central texas real estate City park hotel sant just
          Central texas college online Central texas college distance learning Outdoors

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Alan
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 22, 2005
            Mark,

            What is that going to buy you? I quit running a Linux distribution as my
            main OS because I got tired of trying to make it work when I just wanted
            it to work. The last ditch effort was trying to get Cups to print a
            photo using the Gimp. There is Yellow Dog Linux - YDL (
            http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/index.shtml/ ) which runs on the PowerPC
            processor including your G5. For the PC side, my processor choice is a
            AMD Athlon64. In my opinion, it's one of the best "bangs for the bucks"
            processors.

            Alan

            Lowracer wrote:

            >Been thinking of switching the home computer from iMac G5 to Linux on
            >a PC.
            >
            >Getting the best Mac processor was easy, you just pick the highest
            >number after the "G," for example G5 is better than G4. Simple.
            >
            >In the PC world it's not so easy, there's intel Xeon, Pentium,
            >Altoidium, etc., plus then there's AMD. How do I find out what's the
            >best CPU?
            >
            >Any of you PC geeks got a link that ranks these various processors
            >from Intel and AMD? Something easy, I don't want to fry my brain,
            >because I'll need every neuron I can spare for the Linux install.
            >
            >-mark

          • Nedry
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 22, 2005
              On 12/22/05 at 10:54 PM lowracer wrote:
              >Been thinking of switching the home computer from iMac G5 to Linux on
              >a PC.

              This sounds like a troll but I'll byte. What can you do in Linux that you
              can't do in Mac OS X?

              On the other hand you could just wait a couple of months and buy a MacIntel.

              Nedry
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 22, 2005
                No apologies needed Lary - that's partly why the cars we own now are
                all Japanese!

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Lary Cotten
                <lcotten@m...> wrote:

                "only auto mechanics should own English cars (sorry, Mike)"
              • Henry C
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 24, 2005

                  Any pentium 4 with at least 1gig of either pc400 or DDR2 ram will work.

                  Try for at least a 2.8gHz or higher and a video card with 256ram of the pci-express type and you will be fine.

                  Yahoo! Photos
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 27, 2005
                    On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:54:39 -0000 "Lowracer" <lowracer@...> writes:
                    > Been thinking of switching the home computer from iMac G5 to Linux
                    > on
                    > a PC.
                    >
                    > Getting the best Mac processor was easy, you just pick the highest
                    > number after the "G," for example G5 is better than G4. Simple.
                    >
                    > In the PC world it's not so easy, there's intel Xeon, Pentium,
                    > Altoidium,

                    Curiously strong, but prone to melting under humidity....

                    > etc., plus then there's AMD. How do I find out what's
                    > the best CPU?

                    *I* would go to the big 'zines' sites (like PCWorld.... or even Family
                    Computing) and check the ratings.
                    What's best for one, however, is not best for another .... so beware of
                    ratings scored on checklists.
                    The other way, of course, is to post out here, and hear all sorts of
                    advice and see where it repeats (like taking coords on a cache you've
                    placed)

                    > Any of you PC geeks got a link that ranks these various processors
                    > from Intel and AMD? Something easy, I don't want to fry my brain,
                    > because I'll need every neuron I can spare for the Linux install.

                    ewwww!

                    @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                    Law of Christmas Decorating: The outdoor lights that tested perfectly
                    indoors develop burn-outs as soon as they are strung on the house.
                    (Barb's Addendum: . . .and the ladder is put away.)
                    @,.-:*'``'*:-.,@,.-:*'``'*:-.,@
                    The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody
                    appreciates how difficult it was. --anon
                  • Wayne Lind
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 26, 2006
                      We call that a PBCK error. Problem Between Chair and Keyboard.
                      From: Julie Perrine <mrscaptainpicard@...>
                      Date: Monday, February 27, 2006 11:56 am
                      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com

                      > My most recent "My Finds" pull from GC only had 3,000 some
                      > waypoints in it.
                      > Much fewer than actual.  That suggests that their own database may
                      > be having
                      > issues or their query tool is malfunctioning.  But yes, I'm sure
                      > the Forum
                      > has something about it if its real.
                      > Julie
                      > Mrs. Captain Picard
                      >

                      > On 2/27/06, thediver78613 <alan@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > *Disclaimer: I don't use GSAK.
                      > >
                      > > However the last time I checked, GSAK uses DBF databases aka DBase
                      > > (xBase) databases, of which I haven't used since the early 90's (I
                      > > digress). Anyway, if it holds true since then, the databases
                      > need to
                      > > be maintained every so often or the indexes can become out of
                      > sync. I
                      > > believe there is a compact or maintain database within GSAK. I'd
                      run
                      > > it after backing up the database files first and see what
                      > happens. If
                      > > that doesn't help then I'd check the gc.com forums.
                      > >
                      > > Just a thought.
                      > >
                      > > Alan
                      > >
                      > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Wyman"
                      > > <cwymanjr@...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hello fellow geeks,
                      > > >
                      > > > I seem to be experiencing an on-going problems with my GSAK.
                      > For the
                      > > > past several weeks, I have not seen any NEW caches get added
                      > to the
                      > > > database when I load the latest pocket queries.  I am
                      > wondering if you
                      > > > know of a record limit of some sort.  I have 578 found, 48
                      > owned, 70
                      > > > that are pink, and 774 that are white (not found).  I am just
                      > wondering> > if I need to purge the found records.
                      > > >
                      > > > I noticed this the other night when going after some of them
                      > there geese
                      > > > caches.  I got out past freakin' Manor and realized my gpsr
                      > didn't have
                      > > > but the first 23 and I had re-sync'd before going out!  After
                      > trying> > about 4 more queries into gsak, I still don't have them
                      > in there.
                      > > >
                      > > > I'd kind of like to keep them all in the default database (all
                      > within a
                      > > > 100 mi radius of home) and NOT purge.  If you have any
                      > knowledge of
                      > > > what's going on, please pass it on.
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks!!!
                      > > > Live Long and Prosper!
                      > > > May The Force Be With You!
                      > > >
                      > > > Stratman (Curtis)

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Curtis Wyman

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 27, 2006
                          I don't use GSAK, but I have a .gpx file of just the 50 "Goose"
                          caches I can send you if you want.

                          Doc Geo (Barry)

                          <cwymanjr@...> wrote:

                          > Hello fellow geeks,
                          >
                          > I seem to be experiencing an on-going problems with my GSAK. For
                          the
                          > past several weeks, I have not seen any NEW caches get added to the
                          > database when I load the latest pocket queries. I am wondering if
                          you
                          > know of a record limit of some sort. I have 578 found, 48 owned,
                          70
                          > that are pink, and 774 that are white (not found). I am just
                          wondering
                          > if I need to purge the found records.
                          >
                          > I noticed this the other night when going after some of them there
                          geese
                          > caches. I got out past freakin' Manor and realized my gpsr didn't
                          have
                          > but the first 23 and I had re-sync'd before going out! After
                          trying
                          > about 4 more queries into gsak, I still don't have them in there.
                          >
                          > I'd kind of like to keep them all in the default database (all
                          within a
                          > 100 mi radius of home) and NOT purge. If you have any knowledge of
                          > what's going on, please pass it on.
                          >
                          > Thanks!!!
                          > Live Long and Prosper!
                          > May The Force Be With You!
                          >
                          > Stratman (Curtis)

                        • Nick Silkey
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 27, 2006
                            I know of no 'limit'. I have had thousands of cache listings in one
                            database in GSAK and not had any problems (other than ordination
                            latency ;).

                            HTH ...

                            --
                            Nick Silkey
                            a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 27, 2006
                              *Disclaimer: I don't use GSAK.

                              <cwymanjr@...> wrote:

                              > Hello fellow geeks,
                              >
                              > I seem to be experiencing an on-going problems with my GSAK. For the
                              > past several weeks, I have not seen any NEW caches get added to the
                              > database when I load the latest pocket queries. I am wondering if you
                              > know of a record limit of some sort. I have 578 found, 48 owned, 70
                              > that are pink, and 774 that are white (not found). I am just wondering
                              > if I need to purge the found records.
                              >
                              > I noticed this the other night when going after some of them there geese
                              > caches. I got out past freakin' Manor and realized my gpsr didn't have
                              > but the first 23 and I had re-sync'd before going out! After trying
                              > about 4 more queries into gsak, I still don't have them in there.
                              >
                              > I'd kind of like to keep them all in the default database (all within a
                              > 100 mi radius of home) and NOT purge. If you have any knowledge of
                              > what's going on, please pass it on.
                              >
                              > Thanks!!!
                              > Live Long and Prosper!
                              > May The Force Be With You!
                              >
                              > Stratman (Curtis)

                            • Julie Perrine
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 27, 2006

                              • palbers@austin.rr.com

                                  > My most recent "My Finds" pull from GC only had 3,000 some
                                  > waypoints in it.
                                  > Much fewer than actual. That suggests that their own database may
                                  > be having
                                  > issues or their query tool is malfunctioning. But yes, I'm sure
                                  > the Forum
                                  > has something about it if its real.
                                  > Julie
                                  > Mrs. Captain Picard
                                  >

                                  > On 2/27/06, thediver78613 <alan@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > *Disclaimer: I don't use GSAK.
                                  > >
                                  > > However the last time I checked, GSAK uses DBF databases aka DBase
                                  > > (xBase) databases, of which I haven't used since the early 90's (I
                                  > > digress). Anyway, if it holds true since then, the databases
                                  > need to
                                  > > be maintained every so often or the indexes can become out of
                                  > sync. I
                                  > > believe there is a compact or maintain database within GSAK. I'd
                                  run
                                  > > it after backing up the database files first and see what
                                  > happens. If
                                  > > that doesn't help then I'd check the gc.com forums.
                                  > >
                                  > > Just a thought.
                                  > >
                                  > > Alan
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Wyman"
                                  > > <cwymanjr@...> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Hello fellow geeks,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I seem to be experiencing an on-going problems with my GSAK.
                                  > For the
                                  > > > past several weeks, I have not seen any NEW caches get added
                                  > to the
                                  > > > database when I load the latest pocket queries. I am
                                  > wondering if you
                                  > > > know of a record limit of some sort. I have 578 found, 48
                                  > owned, 70
                                  > > > that are pink, and 774 that are white (not found). I am just
                                  > wondering> > if I need to purge the found records.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I noticed this the other night when going after some of them
                                  > there geese
                                  > > > caches. I got out past freakin' Manor and realized my gpsr
                                  > didn't have
                                  > > > but the first 23 and I had re-sync'd before going out! After
                                  > trying> > about 4 more queries into gsak, I still don't have them
                                  > in there.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I'd kind of like to keep them all in the default database (all
                                  > within a
                                  > > > 100 mi radius of home) and NOT purge. If you have any
                                  > knowledge of
                                  > > > what's going on, please pass it on.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Thanks!!!
                                  > > > Live Long and Prosper!
                                  > > > May The Force Be With You!
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Stratman (Curtis)

                                • Curtis Wyman

                                    > My most recent "My Finds" pull from GC only had 3,000 some
                                    > waypoints in it.
                                    > Much fewer than actual. That suggests that their own database may
                                    > be having
                                    > issues or their query tool is malfunctioning. But yes, I'm sure
                                    > the Forum
                                    > has something about it if its real.
                                    > Julie
                                    > Mrs. Captain Picard
                                    >

                                    > On 2/27/06, thediver78613 <alan@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > *Disclaimer: I don't use GSAK.
                                    > >
                                    > > However the last time I checked, GSAK uses DBF databases aka DBase
                                    > > (xBase) databases, of which I haven't used since the early 90's (I
                                    > > digress). Anyway, if it holds true since then, the databases
                                    > need to
                                    > > be maintained every so often or the indexes can become out of
                                    > sync. I
                                    > > believe there is a compact or maintain database within GSAK. I'd
                                    run
                                    > > it after backing up the database files first and see what
                                    > happens. If
                                    > > that doesn't help then I'd check the gc.com forums.
                                    > >
                                    > > Just a thought.
                                    > >
                                    > > Alan
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Curtis Wyman"
                                    > > <cwymanjr@...> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Hello fellow geeks,
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I seem to be experiencing an on-going problems with my GSAK.
                                    > For the
                                    > > > past several weeks, I have not seen any NEW caches get added
                                    > to the
                                    > > > database when I load the latest pocket queries. I am
                                    > wondering if you
                                    > > > know of a record limit of some sort. I have 578 found, 48
                                    > owned, 70
                                    > > > that are pink, and 774 that are white (not found). I am just
                                    > wondering> > if I need to purge the found records.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I noticed this the other night when going after some of them
                                    > there geese
                                    > > > caches. I got out past freakin' Manor and realized my gpsr
                                    > didn't have
                                    > > > but the first 23 and I had re-sync'd before going out! After
                                    > trying> > about 4 more queries into gsak, I still don't have them
                                    > in there.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I'd kind of like to keep them all in the default database (all
                                    > within a
                                    > > > 100 mi radius of home) and NOT purge. If you have any
                                    > knowledge of
                                    > > > what's going on, please pass it on.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Thanks!!!
                                    > > > Live Long and Prosper!
                                    > > > May The Force Be With You!
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Stratman (Curtis)

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  • mzmotomania
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 27, 2006
                                      Strat,

                                      I currently have 410 found, 0 owned, 96 offline & a total of 1873 in
                                      just my default database.

                                      Maybe the problem is you overloaded your system with puzzle caches.
                                      HAHAHAHAHA j/k

                                      Leslie

                                      <cwymanjr@...> wrote:

                                      > Hello fellow geeks,
                                      >
                                      > I seem to be experiencing an on-going problems with my GSAK. For
                                      the
                                      > past several weeks, I have not seen any NEW caches get added to the
                                      > database when I load the latest pocket queries. I am wondering if
                                      you
                                      > know of a record limit of some sort. I have 578 found, 48 owned,
                                      70
                                      > that are pink, and 774 that are white (not found). I am just
                                      wondering
                                      > if I need to purge the found records.
                                      >
                                      > I noticed this the other night when going after some of them there
                                      geese
                                      > caches. I got out past freakin' Manor and realized my gpsr didn't
                                      have
                                      > but the first 23 and I had re-sync'd before going out! After
                                      trying
                                      > about 4 more queries into gsak, I still don't have them in there.
                                      >
                                      > I'd kind of like to keep them all in the default database (all
                                      within a
                                      > 100 mi radius of home) and NOT purge. If you have any knowledge of
                                      > what's going on, please pass it on.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks!!!
                                      > Live Long and Prosper!
                                      > May The Force Be With You!
                                      >
                                      > Stratman (Curtis)

                                    • Candy Lind
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 27, 2006
                                        Curtis, I would go back and double check the options you have checked
                                        in the "load GPX/LOC file" options box. Sounds to me like you may have
                                        accidentally changed the database update option to "existing only" ...
                                        which means it would never add anything.

                                        For a long time I didn't take the time to read explanations for those
                                        options in the help files; you can do an awful lot with them, INCLUDING
                                        WIPING YOUR DATABASE COMPLETELY OUT! But you can also combine multiple
                                        persons' queries to get a list of caches that none of you have found in
                                        a given area (for Geo-Herding), you can completely refresh your
                                        database every time you load files (what? you actually might WANT to
                                        wipe all the data??), and who knows what else.

                                        Candy

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 27, 2006
                                          Thanks again to all who offered assistance here and via my inbox. I
                                          solved it. I didn't realize there were so many caches around here! It
                                          turned out that there are over 500 within about a 16 mile radius. I was
                                          asking for ALL, not just ones I had not found (yes, I have a good
                                          reason...). When I limited it to the ones I hadn't found, then I was
                                          able to pick up a lot more, including the entire swarm of geese. PBCK =
                                          ID-ten-T = me = stupid.

                                          Curtis (StupidMan)

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 1, 2006
                                            Man, I thought I was the only one who used the Eye Dee Ten Tee meme. Props!

                                            On 2/27/06, Curtis Wyman <cwymanjr@...> wrote:
                                            > Thanks again to all who offered assistance here and via my inbox. I
                                            > solved it. I didn't realize there were so many caches around here! It
                                            > turned out that there are over 500 within about a 16 mile radius. I was
                                            > asking for ALL, not just ones I had not found (yes, I have a good
                                            > reason...). When I limited it to the ones I hadn't found, then I was
                                            > able to pick up a lot more, including the entire swarm of geese. PBCK =
                                            > ID-ten-T = me = stupid.
                                            >
                                            > Curtis (StupidMan)

                                          • Bill Ellis
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jul 9, 2011
                                              I was curious to know why some caches names in my GSAK database are bold and others are not.

                                              --
                                              ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                                              Bill
                                              a.k.a ZionZR2
                                              512-789-1469
                                              <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

                                            • Mark Benson
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jul 9, 2011
                                                I was curious to know why some caches names in my GSAK database are bold and others are not.

                                                In GSAK, waypoint names that are bold are ones that have a child waypoint attached to them such as a suggested parking spot, trail head, etc.

                                                Mark
                                                (BewareOfPenguin)
                                              • Bill Ellis
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jul 9, 2011
                                                  Ah I C!!!   Thanks Much!

                                                  On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Mark Benson <bewareofpenguin@...> wrote:

                                                  I was curious to know why some caches names in my GSAK database are bold and others are not.

                                                  In GSAK, waypoint names that are bold are ones that have a child waypoint attached to them such as a suggested parking spot, trail head, etc.

                                                  Mark
                                                  (BewareOfPenguin)

                                                  --
                                                  ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                                                  Bill
                                                  a.k.a ZionZR2
                                                  512-789-1469
                                                  <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

                                                • Bill Ellis
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 13, 2012
                                                    I was wondering if I could set a sort by column individually for each database.  For example on the My Finds database I would like it to sort by date (Soonest at Top & Automatically)
                                                    And for my Not Found databases I would like to sort by distance (nearest at top & Automatically)

                                                    This would save me from having to manually clicking the column I want to sort by each time I switch to that database.

                                                    Does any one know if this is possible and if so how to accomplish it?

                                                    Thanks

                                                    --
                                                    ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                                                    Bill
                                                    a.k.a ZionZR2
                                                    512-789-1469
                                                    <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
                                                  • Melanie
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 13, 2012
                                                      Choose the Database menu item and then Properties. Set your sort sequence for that database there.

                                                      Melanie
                                                      (ACCLanMan)

                                                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:

                                                      > I was wondering if I could set a sort by column individually for each
                                                      > database. For example on the My Finds database I would like it to sort by
                                                      > date (Soonest at Top & Automatically)
                                                      > And for my Not Found databases I would like to sort by distance (nearest at
                                                      > top & Automatically)
                                                      >
                                                      > This would save me from having to manually clicking the column I want to
                                                      > sort by each time I switch to that database.
                                                      >
                                                      > Does any one know if this is possible and if so how to accomplish it?
                                                      >
                                                      > Thanks
                                                      >
                                                      > --
                                                      > ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                                                      > Bill