GSAK question?

  • Dick Young
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 12, 2005
      GSAK, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife, is a great program. It is an
      integral part of my caching program/procedures. However, I need to
      know how other users maintain their data. I keep two databases:
      Found and To be Found. Since my work takes me from the Valley to the
      Panhandle the 'To Be Found' is huge. Question: Do others maintain a
      separate 'Found' file?
      Thanks,
      Dick
      aka Blizzard
    • CindyFrag@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 12, 2005
        Hi Dick,

        I too love GSAK.  I mainly keep one database with my found and unfound caches in one file.  But when I travel, I will start a second database just for that area. So far, this has worked well for me.

        Cindy
        aka CindyFrag

        GSAK, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife, is a great program.  It is an
        integral part of my caching program/procedures.  However, I need to
        know how other users maintain their data.  I keep two databases:
        Found and To be Found.  Since my work takes me from the Valley to the
        Panhandle the 'To Be Found' is huge.  Question:  Do others maintain a
        separate 'Found' file?
        Thanks,
        Dick
        aka Blizzard

        <FONT COLOR="#000099">Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make
        Yahoo! your home page
        </FONT><A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/YltolB/TM"><B>Click
        Here!</B></A>

      • Nick Silkey
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 12, 2005
          I dont know the specs on the notebook/desktop that you run GSAK on. I
          have used an AMD Athlon Mobile notebook in addition to a Pentium 4-M
          notebook for my GSAK routines. I operate using one big fat database
          with several thousand waypoints in Texas and Wisconsin.

          I use filters to return those that have/have not been found by me.
          The filters also have many other attributes helping me limit out
          possibly missing and missing caches. To find whats near where I will
          be (house/work/hotel/etc), I use locations/center points.

          The reason for my 'lone database' is because I am addicted to 'Get
          Pocket Queries via Email...' function in GSAK. As I have several
          routine PQs covering various locations being sent to one dedicated PQ
          dump e-mail address, its tough to easily (as in little or no
          effort/steps) seperate what caches belong to what region. The GPQVE
          function will only load GPX files nabbed to the active database.

          Hope this helps ... I _love_ swapping GSAK tips and tricks.

          On 12/12/05, Dick Young <rtyoungster@...> wrote:
          > GSAK, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife, is a great program. It is an
          > integral part of my caching program/procedures. However, I need to
          > know how other users maintain their data. I keep two databases:
          > Found and To be Found. Since my work takes me from the Valley to the
          > Panhandle the 'To Be Found' is huge. Question: Do others maintain a
          > separate 'Found' file?
          > Thanks,
          > Dick
          > aka Blizzard

          Nick Silkey
          a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
          N30 28.2' W097 46.6'
        • Mark Gessner
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 12, 2005
            I don't keep a found database but I'm about to.  For some reason my pocket queries deliver all my caches including found caches marked with the Garmin "unfound cache" icon.  So I think GSAK can rescue me from this confusion.

            Otherwise I use and throw away GSAK databases like teenagers swilling and tossing beercans.  Quick business trip to Minneapolis? Pocket Query --> new GSAK database --> mapsource --> download to GPS, then delete the database.

            On Dec 12, 2005, at 12:28 PM, Dick Young wrote:

            GSAK, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife, is a great program.  It is an
            integral part of my caching program/procedures.  However, I need to
            know how other users maintain their data.  I keep two databases:
            Found and To be Found.  Since my work takes me from the Valley to the
            Panhandle the 'To Be Found' is huge.  Question:  Do others maintain a
            separate 'Found' file?
            Thanks,
            Dick
            aka Blizzard

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Julie Perrine
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 12, 2005
              Hi Dick,
              I don't have a found file.  Although I do pull a GC query of my finds when I get ready to go caching in groups because it helps us zero in on caches none of us have done yet.

              Personally, I only generate a GSAK file when I know I'm going somewhere.  I keep regular query data, but I only generate a database when I'm ready to go.  Then I delete it.  I certainly don't maintain it.  For me, its easier that way because I only have to deal with 500/1000 waypoints or whatever pinpointed to where I'll be.  I don't have to try to filter a huge GSAK database for stuff and keep it updated with what I've already found.

              If I traveled on a regular basis like you, I certainly might keep a huge To Be Found list because I'd hate to pass a geocache on the road and not know about it until later!!!!!

              Julie

              On 12/12/05, Dick Young <rtyoungster@...> wrote:
              GSAK, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife, is a great program.  It is an
              integral part of my caching program/procedures.  However, I need to
              know how other users maintain their data.  I keep two databases:
              Found and To be Found.  Since my work takes me from the Valley to the
              Panhandle the 'To Be Found' is huge.  Question:  Do others maintain a
              separate 'Found' file?
              Thanks,
              Dick
              aka Blizzard

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/YltolB/TM

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 12, 2005
                I keep multiple separate databases - one for each of the areas I
                regularly travel to. The default is 'Austin' of course.

                On top of that I have a master 'Found' database.

                This is fairly easy to maintain. I have written scripts which
                automatically put PQ files into the right database (you can do this as
                the attachments for a specific PQ always have the same name).

                I also run scripts which update the 'Found' folder and automatically
                remove found caches from the appropriate 'Not Found' database.

                One click on the master Macro button each week does the following:

                1. Load the new PQ's
                2. Delete/remove archived caches
                3. Filters to 'Not Found and available to find'
                3. Create the pdb files for CacheMate

                I then load whichever appropriate databases I need to into the GPSr
                depending on my travel plans for the week. Having the data as separate
                databases makes it much easier to keep track. It allows me to run the
                PQs at different intervals - the only one I run weekly is Austin -
                everything else I run as needed. You can toggle PQs on and off on
                GC.com with Macros from GSAK again.

                Mike

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
                <rtyoungster@y...> wrote:

                > GSAK, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife, is a great program. It is an
                > integral part of my caching program/procedures. However, I need to
                > know how other users maintain their data. I keep two databases:
                > Found and To be Found. Since my work takes me from the Valley to the
                > Panhandle the 'To Be Found' is huge. Question: Do others maintain a
                > separate 'Found' file?
                > Thanks,
                > Dick
                > aka Blizzard

              • Dick Young
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 12, 2005
                  Thanks everyone...
                  Confession 1: I get 15 PQs each week for Amarillo, Lubbock, Big Bend,
                  Brownwood, Texarkana, The Valley, Ft. Worth, NW Houston...you get the
                  picture.
                  #2: Alan, using extreme patience, taught me to do routes recently.
                  Now the GPS gives me every cache within x of my route. Once I went
                  more than a mile.:)GSAK makes this an easy process. Nick, I keep a WP
                  for each customer and hotel in the cities visited. That way the
                  nearest to cache runs between appointments is quick and easy.

                  Both the notebook and home computer are fast enough to handle the 5000
                  WPs so that is not an issue. The most recent release gives a nicer
                  interface to downloading from email. That's the reason for the first
                  question!

                  I'll try one 'Big One' for a while and report back. Meanwhile keeps
                  those tip flowing!

                  Cache on,
                  Dick

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Nick Silkey
                  <nsilkey@g...> wrote:

                  > I dont know the specs on the notebook/desktop that you run GSAK on. I
                  > have used an AMD Athlon Mobile notebook in addition to a Pentium 4-M
                  > notebook for my GSAK routines. I operate using one big fat database
                  > with several thousand waypoints in Texas and Wisconsin.
                  >
                  > I use filters to return those that have/have not been found by me.
                  > The filters also have many other attributes helping me limit out
                  > possibly missing and missing caches. To find whats near where I will
                  > be (house/work/hotel/etc), I use locations/center points.
                  >
                  > The reason for my 'lone database' is because I am addicted to 'Get
                  > Pocket Queries via Email...' function in GSAK. As I have several
                  > routine PQs covering various locations being sent to one dedicated PQ
                  > dump e-mail address, its tough to easily (as in little or no
                  > effort/steps) seperate what caches belong to what region. The GPQVE
                  > function will only load GPX files nabbed to the active database.
                  >
                  > Hope this helps ... I _love_ swapping GSAK tips and tricks.
                  >
                  > On 12/12/05, Dick Young <rtyoungster@y...> wrote:
                  > > GSAK, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife, is a great program. It is an
                  > > integral part of my caching program/procedures. However, I need to
                  > > know how other users maintain their data. I keep two databases:
                  > > Found and To be Found. Since my work takes me from the Valley to the
                  > > Panhandle the 'To Be Found' is huge. Question: Do others maintain a
                  > > separate 'Found' file?
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Dick
                  > > aka Blizzard
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > >

                  > --
                  > Nick Silkey
                  > a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
                  > N30 28.2' W097 46.6'

                • Nick Silkey
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 12, 2005
                    Do share! The only other person in the area who rocks GSAK Macros is
                    Kevin (KoosKoos) ...

                    On 12/12/05, Mike <geocaching@...> wrote:
                    > I keep multiple separate databases - one for each of the areas I
                    > regularly travel to. The default is 'Austin' of course.
                    >
                    > On top of that I have a master 'Found' database.
                    >
                    > This is fairly easy to maintain. I have written scripts which
                    > automatically put PQ files into the right database (you can do this as
                    > the attachments for a specific PQ always have the same name).
                    >
                    > I also run scripts which update the 'Found' folder and automatically
                    > remove found caches from the appropriate 'Not Found' database.
                    >
                    > One click on the master Macro button each week does the following:
                    >
                    > 1. Load the new PQ's
                    > 2. Delete/remove archived caches
                    > 3. Filters to 'Not Found and available to find'
                    > 3. Create the pdb files for CacheMate
                    >
                    > I then load whichever appropriate databases I need to into the GPSr
                    > depending on my travel plans for the week. Having the data as separate
                    > databases makes it much easier to keep track. It allows me to run the
                    > PQs at different intervals - the only one I run weekly is Austin -
                    > everything else I run as needed. You can toggle PQs on and off on
                    > GC.com with Macros from GSAK again.
                    >
                    > Mike
                    >
                    > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Young"
                    > <rtyoungster@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > GSAK, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife, is a great program. It is an
                    > > integral part of my caching program/procedures. However, I need to
                    > > know how other users maintain their data. I keep two databases:
                    > > Found and To be Found. Since my work takes me from the Valley to the
                    > > Panhandle the 'To Be Found' is huge. Question: Do others maintain a
                    > > separate 'Found' file?
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > Dick
                    > > aka Blizzard

                    Nick Silkey
                    a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
                    N30 28.2' W097 46.6'
                  • alan@alancurry.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 12, 2005
                      Quoting Dick Young:
                      > Thanks everyone...
                      > Confession 1: I get 15 PQs each week for Amarillo, Lubbock, Big Bend,
                      > Brownwood, Texarkana, The Valley, Ft. Worth, NW Houston...you get the
                      > picture.

                      Since you have so many PQ's, you might try this:
                      (confession: it makes my head hurt also)

                      Quoting Robert Lipe:

                      Subject: [Gpsbabel-misc] Stupid GPSBabel Tricks: Geocaching.

                      "Over the river and and into the woods". Here's a nerdy example that
                      may inspire holiday travellers. I've done variations of this before.

                      This isn't quite optimal -and I'll readily admit that it's a head-screw
                      to read- but it works pretty well. It does take almost 4 seconds to run.

                      The punchline is to take several PQs (GPX files from Geocaching.com),
                      get the stuff along the interstate, include a "bulge" for the layover on
                      the drive, and a larger circle around the holiday destination.

                      Cheat sheet:
                      $FLISTCMD - a list of a Geocaching PQs.
                      $ROUTEF - the arc file for the trip
                      $ROUTEW - the width I'm willing to pull along the interstate.
                      $DEST - PQ for Grandma's house (higher diff/terr than 'drive by's.)
                      $DESTCTR - Coords for her house (ish).
                      $DESTDIST - area around her house to review.

                      [1] gpsbabel -vs -i gpx $FLISTCMD \
                      [2] -x duplicate,shortname \
                      [3] -x stack,push,copy \
                      [4] -x radius,lat=30.8,lon=-83.3,distance=9 \
                      [5] -x stack,swap \
                      [6] -x arc,file=$ROUTEF,distance=$ROUTEW \
                      [7] -x stack,pop,append \
                      [8] -x stack,push \
                      [9] -i gpx -f $DEST \
                      [10] -x radius,$DESTCTR,distance=$DESTDIST \
                      [11] -x stack,pop,append \
                      [12] -x duplicate,shortname \
                      [13] -x radius,$DESTCTR,distance=9999 \
                      [14] -o gpx -F ~/src/geo/mgpx/${TRIP} -F /tmp/{$TRIP}.gpx \
                      [15] -o s_and_t -F /tmp/${TRIP}.txt

                      For the Budding Babel-Heads, here's a breakdown of that:

                      [2] Not strictly needed, but since two of the PQ's have substantial overlap,
                      it was faster to "pre-toss" that overlap here before we got to the arc
                      filter.
                      [3-5] This is the "bulge" for the layover.
                      [6] This keeps only the ones near the route.
                      [7] Merge those two back in, tossing everything else.
                      [8-11] Same as [3-5], but in the knowledge that MOST of the GPX file $DEST
                      is fair game. It's just faster to tweak the sizes locally than to
                      keep messing with the PQ parameters.
                      [12] Toss any dupes remaining.
                      [13] Order everything by ascending distance from "ground zero".
                      [14] Write GPX copies for the HTML writers and for Mapsource.
                      [15] And a copy for Streets & Trips.
                    • Dick Young
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 12, 2005
                        Huh?
                        Talk slowly, use little words,

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, alan@a... wrote:

                        > Quoting Dick Young:
                        > > Thanks everyone...
                        > > Confession 1: I get 15 PQs each week for Amarillo, Lubbock, Big Bend,
                        > > Brownwood, Texarkana, The Valley, Ft. Worth, NW Houston...you get the
                        > > picture.
                        >
                        > Since you have so many PQ's, you might try this:
                        > (confession: it makes my head hurt also)
                        >
                        > Quoting Robert Lipe:
                        >
                        > Subject: [Gpsbabel-misc] Stupid GPSBabel Tricks: Geocaching.
                        >
                        > "Over the river and and into the woods". Here's a nerdy example that
                        > may inspire holiday travellers. I've done variations of this before.
                        >
                        > This isn't quite optimal -and I'll readily admit that it's a head-screw
                        > to read- but it works pretty well. It does take almost 4 seconds to
                        run.

                        > The punchline is to take several PQs (GPX files from Geocaching.com),
                        > get the stuff along the interstate, include a "bulge" for the layover on
                        > the drive, and a larger circle around the holiday destination.
                        >
                        > Cheat sheet:
                        > $FLISTCMD - a list of a Geocaching PQs.
                        > $ROUTEF - the arc file for the trip
                        > $ROUTEW - the width I'm willing to pull along the interstate.
                        > $DEST - PQ for Grandma's house (higher diff/terr than
                        'drive by's.)
                        > $DESTCTR - Coords for her house (ish).
                        > $DESTDIST - area around her house to review.
                        >

                        > [1] gpsbabel -vs -i gpx $FLISTCMD \
                        > [2] -x duplicate,shortname \
                        > [3] -x stack,push,copy \
                        > [4] -x radius,lat=30.8,lon=-83.3,distance=9 \
                        > [5] -x stack,swap \
                        > [6] -x arc,file=$ROUTEF,distance=$ROUTEW \
                        > [7] -x stack,pop,append \
                        > [8] -x stack,push \
                        > [9] -i gpx -f $DEST \
                        > [10] -x radius,$DESTCTR,distance=$DESTDIST \
                        > [11] -x stack,pop,append \
                        > [12] -x duplicate,shortname \
                        > [13] -x radius,$DESTCTR,distance=9999 \
                        > [14] -o gpx -F ~/src/geo/mgpx/${TRIP} -F /tmp/{$TRIP}.gpx \
                        > [15] -o s_and_t -F /tmp/${TRIP}.txt
                        >
                        > For the Budding Babel-Heads, here's a breakdown of that:
                        >
                        > [2] Not strictly needed, but since two of the PQ's have substantial
                        overlap,
                        > it was faster to "pre-toss" that overlap here before we got to
                        the arc
                        > filter.
                        > [3-5] This is the "bulge" for the layover.
                        > [6] This keeps only the ones near the route.
                        > [7] Merge those two back in, tossing everything else.
                        > [8-11] Same as [3-5], but in the knowledge that MOST of the GPX file
                        $DEST
                        > is fair game. It's just faster to tweak the sizes locally than to
                        > keep messing with the PQ parameters.
                        > [12] Toss any dupes remaining.
                        > [13] Order everything by ascending distance from "ground zero".
                        > [14] Write GPX copies for the HTML writers and for Mapsource.
                        > [15] And a copy for Streets & Trips.

                      • Wayne Lind
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 12, 2005
                          Hi Dick,
                          I maintain two running databases. One is my found cache database, which is currently at 30 meg and my system has no problem with it. I also keep an unfound database for the 100 mile radius from my house. When we go out of town, I will usually pull queries specifically for the trip and then delete them when I am done.

                          Hope this helps,
                          Wayne.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 12, 2005
                            My PQs contain found caches for me, but I dont have that issue. 60/76
                            series? Take a look at the GSAK icon options and make sure you have
                            founds set as open treasure chests (or whatever your heart desires).

                            Sounds like a GSAK setting to me. The PQs arent the cause, and you
                            shouldnt need multiple DBs to have the GPS reflect whats 'found' and
                            'unfound'.

                            Hope this helps.

                            --
                            Nick Silkey
                            a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 12, 2005
                              Speaking of GSAK, I just got my notice that Clyde uploaded another
                              major update. Lots of good stuff. One of my favorites is that he added
                              to where you can add a column and icon for corrected coords to make it
                              easier for me to know whether or not I've done the puzzle and and
                              updated the waypoint.

                              Here is the complete list of updates: http://gsak.net/help/hs1060.htm

                              --
                              Nick Silkey
                              a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'

                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 14, 2005
                                I have a "Found" file and then separate "Not Found Yet" files, one for
                                each state. I only keep Texas up to date but maintain Minnesota,
                                Vermont, etc when a trip is getting near. Mind you, I don't try to have
                                the entire state of Texas in there but concentrate in areas I'll be
                                visiting soon.

                                Lou
                                PI Joe
                              • Bill Ellis
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 1, 2011
                                  Is there a way when I export a group of geocaches as gpx file to
                                  include the date-placed? I use these exported gpx files to load my
                                  GPSr with caches to find. The default mode leaves this little bit out
                                  and I would like to include it if I can. I see a line in the GPX
                                  creation box that is Titled "Cache Discription" with the Following
                                  info in the box {%Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter)} Is there a little code to
                                  add to that box that would give me the placed date? That Way I can
                                  see when a cache was placed When I am out in the field.

                                  The way I create these GPX files is by the Export tool in the File
                                  menu or Ctrl-G shortcut. Once I fave the filter showing the caches I
                                  want to include in the particular file.

                                  Thanks GSAK Experts

                                  --
                                  ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                                  Bill
                                  a.k.a ZionZR2
                                  512-789-1469
                                  <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
                                • banda_geocacher
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 1, 2011
                                    %datepl

                                    Brent

                                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis <sille777@...> wrote:

                                    > Is there a way when I export a group of geocaches as gpx file to
                                    > include the date-placed? I use these exported gpx files to load my
                                    > GPSr with caches to find. The default mode leaves this little bit out
                                    > and I would like to include it if I can. I see a line in the GPX
                                    > creation box that is Titled "Cache Discription" with the Following
                                    > info in the box {%Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter)} Is there a little code to
                                    > add to that box that would give me the placed date? That Way I can
                                    > see when a cache was placed When I am out in the field.
                                    >
                                    > The way I create these GPX files is by the Export tool in the File
                                    > menu or Ctrl-G shortcut. Once I fave the filter showing the caches I
                                    > want to include in the particular file.
                                    >

                                    > Thanks GSAK Experts
                                    >

                                    > --
                                    > ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                                    > Bill
                                    > a.k.a ZionZR2
                                    > 512-789-1469
                                    > <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

                                  • Bill Ellis
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 2, 2011
                                      Well Rats!!  Tried that with my Garmin Oregon 450 it does not seem to work, the placed date does not show up.

                                      Thanks for the reply!

                                      --
                                      ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                                      Bill
                                      a.k.a ZionZR2
                                      512-789-1469
                                      <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

                                    • banda_geocacher
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 2, 2011
                                        You may be running out of room. Not sure how many characters the 450 shows, but you might have to give up one of the other special tags in order to get the date placed to show. GSAK has so many wonderful special tags, but unfortunately we are limited by the number of characters each gps will show. I still have an old Magellan that only shows 6 characters!!! (NOT my primary unit any more.)

                                        I would suggest removing (%Dif/%Ter), since that info should show up without using special tags. Let me know if that works for you.

                                        Brent

                                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis <sille777@...> wrote:

                                        > Well Rats!! Tried that with my Garmin Oregon 450 it does not seem to work,
                                        > the placed date does not show up.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for the reply!
                                        >
                                        > On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 6:59 PM, banda_geocacher <banda@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > **
                                        > >

                                        > > %datepl
                                        > >
                                        > > Brent
                                        > >

                                        > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis <sille777@>
                                        > > wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Is there a way when I export a group of geocaches as gpx file to
                                        > > > include the date-placed? I use these exported gpx files to load my
                                        > > > GPSr with caches to find. The default mode leaves this little bit out
                                        > > > and I would like to include it if I can. I see a line in the GPX
                                        > > > creation box that is Titled "Cache Discription" with the Following
                                        > > > info in the box {%Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter)} Is there a little code to
                                        > > > add to that box that would give me the placed date? That Way I can
                                        > > > see when a cache was placed When I am out in the field.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > The way I create these GPX files is by the Export tool in the File
                                        > > > menu or Ctrl-G shortcut. Once I fave the filter showing the caches I
                                        > > > want to include in the particular file.
                                        > > >

                                        > > > Thanks GSAK Experts
                                        > > >

                                        > > > --
                                        > > > Bill
                                        > > > a.k.a ZionZR2
                                        > > > 512-789-1469
                                        > > > <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
                                        > > >

                                        > --
                                        > ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                                        > Bill
                                        > a.k.a ZionZR2
                                        > 512-789-1469
                                        > <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

                                      • banda_geocacher
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 2, 2011
                                          Bill,

                                          I can't test this myself right now, but you might want to remove all the current tags {%Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter)} and replace them with just %datepl and see if you don't get all the info you want. You can cut and paste the current code and save it in notepad in case you want to return it later.

                                          I think this might work for you. Let me know.

                                          Brent

                                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "banda_geocacher" <banda@...> wrote:

                                          > You may be running out of room. Not sure how many characters the 450 shows, but you might have to give up one of the other special tags in order to get the date placed to show. GSAK has so many wonderful special tags, but unfortunately we are limited by the number of characters each gps will show. I still have an old Magellan that only shows 6 characters!!! (NOT my primary unit any more.)
                                          >
                                          > I would suggest removing (%Dif/%Ter), since that info should show up without using special tags. Let me know if that works for you.
                                          >
                                          > Brent
                                          >
                                          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis <sille777@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Well Rats!! Tried that with my Garmin Oregon 450 it does not seem to work,
                                          > > the placed date does not show up.
                                          > >
                                          > > Thanks for the reply!
                                          > >
                                          > > On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 6:59 PM, banda_geocacher <banda@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > > **
                                          > > >

                                          > > > %datepl
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Brent
                                          > > >

                                          > > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis <sille777@>

                                          > > --
                                          > > ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                                          > > Bill
                                          > > a.k.a ZionZR2
                                          > > 512-789-1469
                                          > > <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

                                        • banda_geocacher
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 2, 2011
                                            On second thought, you need to keep %name with %datepl. (I need more coffee!) :)

                                          • Bill Ellis
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 2, 2011
                                              It seems no matter what I put or even do not put in that box nothing changes on whats displayed on the GPSr

                                              --
                                              ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                                              Bill
                                              a.k.a ZionZR2
                                              512-789-1469
                                              <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

                                            • Bill Ellis
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Sep 2, 2011
                                                Scratch that!! I got it to work!

                                                --
                                                ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                                                Bill
                                                a.k.a ZionZR2
                                                512-789-1469
                                                <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

                                                --
                                                ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                                                Bill
                                                a.k.a ZionZR2
                                                512-789-1469
                                                <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

                                              • Bill Ellis
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Sep 2, 2011
                                                  This is what I have in the box.  I also checked the "check box" to the right that says "also apply to cache name"

                                                  Thanks for your help!!

                                                  --
                                                  Bill
                                                  a.k.a ZionZR2