Re: Taking requests for Texas Bluebonnet geocoins!

  • Essiar
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 3, 2005
      Unfortuantely, Lowracer is right. The greed factor is WAY too high
      amongst cachers to pass those coins on. Every coin I have had my
      hands on has not made it out of the next cache I put it in. The next
      person to find it always kept it, and I'm speaking about
      nice "considerate" cachers that we all know here in Austin. I
      personally like the tracking feature but they will all get horded as
      opposed to passed on and tracked. Selfishness abounds. Mark's right,
      save the $1.50. The only way they get "passed on and tracked" that I
      can see is if you bring one to an event and everyone touches it,
      then logs it. Pathetic but true.

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mark Gessner
      <lowracer@c...> wrote:

      > Looks good. I'd suggest saving some money by deleting the GC.com
      > tracking, though. None of these geocoins will ever make it into
      > cache unless you put them there, and then the first geocoin addict
      > find one will just put it in their coin book. $1.50 per coin
      wasted,
      > imho... Serial numbered though is a good idea for collectability.
      >
      > Also, that compass looks too realistic. You will be responsible
      for
      > getting countless Aggies lost in the woods when they trade their
      GPS
      > for the 'neato compass' and realize only after it's too late that
      the
      > compass they just traded for is 'broken.' (voice of experience,
      > class of '89 here, gig 'em ;-)
      >
      > -mark
      >
      > On Dec 2, 2005, at 11:25 PM, chris_rake wrote:
      >
      > > Yup - its ANOTHER geocoin! But its a CENTRAL TEXAS coin!

    • Barry Watson
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 3, 2005
        Message
        LoL,  the wife and I are ordering the max of three.  One for each of us to keep and a third to place in our first cache to
        placed this month!

        Barry
        (Doc Geo)

        <lowracer@c...> wrote:

        > Looks good.  I'd suggest saving some money by deleting the GC.com
        > tracking, though.  None of these geocoins will ever make it into

        > cache unless you put them there, and then the first geocoin addict
        > find one will just put it in their coin book.  $1.50 per coin
        wasted,
        > imho...  Serial numbered though is a good idea for collectability.
        >
        > Also, that compass looks too realistic.  You will be responsible
        for
        > getting countless Aggies lost in the woods when they trade their
        GPS
        > for the 'neato compass' and realize only after it's too late that
        the
        > compass they just traded for is 'broken.'  (voice of experience,
        > class of '89 here, gig 'em ;-)
        >
        > -mark
        >
        > On Dec 2, 2005, at 11:25 PM, chris_rake wrote:
        >
        > > Yup - its ANOTHER geocoin!  But its a CENTRAL TEXAS coin!

      • Nick Silkey
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 3, 2005
          Better put it down in Buda. Its not like HiDude_98 needs any more coins.

          Joking, Paul, joking. ;)

          --
          Nick Silkey
          a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 3, 2005
            Cutting a check for $1500 to gc.com, while a good cause, is still
            $1500 :). I'm working with the mint to perhaps run 2 jobs. One will
            have gc numbers, the other just a serial number. This way only people
            who want to pay the $1.50 premium will get to pay it.

            +Chris

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Essiar" <essiar@t...>
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 3, 2005
              Unfortunately, the cache will be coinless, as the shipping date is
              targetted for February. I wish my time machine was working.... stupid
              thing has been busted for a while now.

              > LoL, the wife and I are ordering the max of three. One for each of
              us to
              > keep and a third to place in our first cache to
              > placed this month!
            • Mark Gessner
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 3, 2005
                Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think it's pathetic or wrong at all.  It's just a different hobby.  It started off as a personal signature item, became trackable, but grew into something else.  Something fun but it has nothing to do with geocaching anymore, it's a coin collecting hobby where the coins usually (not always) say something about geocaching or geocachers.

                I don't have a problem with icon collectors, coin collectors, coin hoarders, or coin ebayers.  It's just that adding trackability is an utter waste of that $1.50 per coin.  Use that extra buck and a half to add another color, or some 3D artwork, or increase the coin's diameter, etc.  Just MHO, by the way.  Do what you want.

                Nice photo site by the way, Chris...

                <lowracer@c...> wrote:

                > Looks good.  I'd suggest saving some money by deleting the GC.com
                > tracking, though.  None of these geocoins will ever make it into

                > cache unless you put them there, and then the first geocoin addict
                > find one will just put it in their coin book.  $1.50 per coin
                wasted,
                > imho...  Serial numbered though is a good idea for collectability.
                >
                > Also, that compass looks too realistic.  You will be responsible
                for
                > getting countless Aggies lost in the woods when they trade their
                GPS
                > for the 'neato compass' and realize only after it's too late that
                the
                > compass they just traded for is 'broken.'  (voice of experience,
                > class of '89 here, gig 'em ;-)
                >
                > -mark
                >
                > On Dec 2, 2005, at 11:25 PM, chris_rake wrote:
                >
                > > Yup - its ANOTHER geocoin!  But its a CENTRAL TEXAS coin!

                City park rental vacation Central texas real estate City park hotel sant just
                Central texas college online Central texas college distance learning Outdoors

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              • chris_rake
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 3, 2005
                  <lowracer@c...> wrote:
                  > I don't have a problem with icon collectors, coin collectors, coin
                  > hoarders, or coin ebayers. It's just that adding trackability is an
                  > utter waste of that $1.50 per coin. Use that extra buck and a half
                  > to add another color, or some 3D artwork, or increase the coin's
                  > diameter, etc. Just MHO, by the way. Do what you want.

                  :) Well that IS the perk of being the artist. You could always think
                  of it as a donation to gc.com!

                  > Nice photo site by the way, Chris...

                  Thanks - it is horribly out of date, I have stacks of images that need
                  to be added.

                  +Chris
                • aximili2002
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 3, 2005
                    I must be really out of the loop, but i must ask, what is the URL of
                    the request page...

                    grn beret 2b
                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "chris_rake"
                    <crake@a...> wrote:

                    > Yup - its ANOTHER geocoin! But its a CENTRAL TEXAS coin!
                    >
                    > In order to calculate how many coins to order, I am taking
                    requests. Here's how it will work:

                    > Between now and December 18, fellow geocachers are invited to
                    submit requests for coins online at the Texas Bluebonnet 2006 Request
                    Page. Due to my automation scheme, I will not be able to take request
                    from this thread, so please use the online form!

                    > Once I receive and approve the pre-production coin, I will send
                    invitations to those who request coins to place their order. This
                    will likely occur in mid-January. One week later, orders will open to
                    those who did not place requests. This will happen on a first come,
                    first served basis.

                    > I expect coins to ship sometime in February - just in time for
                    Bluebonnet season!

                    > Enjoy!
                    > +Chris

                  • Barry Watson
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 3, 2005
                      Message
                      DOH!...  duh...  never mind....  maybe I'll put one of my Texas Geocaching coins instead....  :-D

                      Barry
                      Unfortunately, the cache will be coinless, as the shipping date is
                      targetted for February.  I wish my time machine was working.... stupid
                      thing has been busted for a while now.

                      > LoL,  the wife and I are ordering the max of three.  One for each of
                      us to
                      > keep and a third to place in our first cache to
                      > placed this month!
                    • Nick Silkey
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 4, 2005
                        http://www.crakephoto.com/coins/bluebonnet

                        On 12/3/05, aximili2002 <nathanield@...> wrote:
                        > I must be really out of the loop, but i must ask, what is the URL of
                        > the request page...
                        >
                        > grn beret 2b
                        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "chris_rake"
                        > <crake@a...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Yup - its ANOTHER geocoin! But its a CENTRAL TEXAS coin!
                        > >
                        > > In order to calculate how many coins to order, I am taking
                        > requests. Here's how it will work:
                        > >
                        > > Between now and December 18, fellow geocachers are invited to
                        > submit requests for coins online at the Texas Bluebonnet 2006 Request
                        > Page. Due to my automation scheme, I will not be able to take request
                        > from this thread, so please use the online form!
                        > >
                        > > Once I receive and approve the pre-production coin, I will send
                        > invitations to those who request coins to place their order. This
                        > will likely occur in mid-January. One week later, orders will open to
                        > those who did not place requests. This will happen on a first come,
                        > first served basis.
                        > >
                        > > I expect coins to ship sometime in February - just in time for
                        > Bluebonnet season!
                        > >
                        > > Enjoy!
                        > > +Chris

                        Nick Silkey
                        a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
                        N30 28.2' W097 46.6'
                      • Grajek
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 4, 2005
                          I bought 20 coins when First started caching. 2 actually made it to
                          another cache. I have never seen any of the coins make it to another
                          cache in 2 years. Big waste of money. Save your money, get a travel bug
                          they at least make it to other caches.

                          <lowracer@c...> wrote:

                          > Looks good. I'd suggest saving some money by deleting the GC.com
                          > tracking, though. None of these geocoins will ever make it into
                          > cache unless you put them there, and then the first geocoin addict
                          > find one will just put it in their coin book. $1.50 per coin
                          wasted,
                          > imho... Serial numbered though is a good idea for collectability.
                          >
                          > Also, that compass looks too realistic. You will be responsible
                          for
                          > getting countless Aggies lost in the woods when they trade their
                          GPS
                          > for the 'neato compass' and realize only after it's too late that
                          the
                          > compass they just traded for is 'broken.' (voice of experience,
                          > class of '89 here, gig 'em ;-)
                          >
                          > -mark
                          >
                          > On Dec 2, 2005, at 11:25 PM, chris_rake wrote:
                          >
                          > > Yup - its ANOTHER geocoin! But its a CENTRAL TEXAS coin!

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Candy Lind
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 4, 2005

                            Based on what I've heard from collectors, I disagree. They collect them all, trackable or not, but there is a premium placed on that tracking number. Especially if there is a custom icon reserved for it.  If you want to make them trackable, do it. You will get the cost back in your bottom line price, and the coins will sell regardless.

                            Candy

                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 4, 2005
                              Candy, of course you're right.  I forgot about that icon.  You have to pay to get that icon.  The icon makes it worth more, because people not only get the coin but they can have another icon on their profile page.  Strange addiction, this geocoin thing.

                              I'm sticking by my advice on the compass though. You're gonna be stranding countless Aggies...

                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 4, 2005
                                Message
                                Can someone explain "have another icon on their profile page"?  What icons would a cacher have on their profile page and why would they care about them being there?

                                Barry

                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 5, 2005
                                  Go to your profile page, then click on your user stats.
                                  Under the column "List of items found," you will see a bunch of icons representing what you have found, traditional caches, multi caches, virtuals, etc, all the way down to Travel Bug Dog Tags, then you will see all the coins you have found, each with their own icon.  There is a class of geocacher who likes to make sure they have "found" each type of icon.  It is some kind of status symbol to have all the cache icon types, for example including the "Project Ape" cache icon.  When someone mints a new coin, they can pay groundspeak for the ability to log the coin and add a custom icon to the finder's User Stats page.  As to why someone would want all these icons, well you'd have to ask them.  Probably for much the same reason that people collect stamps or US State Quarters, or geocoins themselves.  It's a compulsion to hoard I suppose.  But then I'm not a psychologist, only a marketing guy.

                                  -mark

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 5, 2005

                                    Ok, thanks for the explanation Mark.  I didn't know you could get Groundspeak to create an icon for you for that.  I'm sure you can get an icon for almost any reason then as long as they think it's worthwhile…

                                    Barry

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 5, 2005
                                      s/think it's worthwhile/get their money/g

                                      :)

                                      --
                                      Nick Silkey
                                      a.k.a. filler of 'filler & bcat'
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 5, 2005
                                        Gotta love geek humor.

                                        Actually more power to them, if they can sell icons, that's a great
                                        unregulated business. What opportunity they are truly missing out on
                                        though is the actual minting of trackable geocoins. They should
                                        require that all trackable coins be purchased and created through
                                        their own minting service. They are leaving a bunch of money on the
                                        table as all these minting companies are making money off the geocoin
                                        addiction and all Groundspeak gets is the occasional $1.50 per
                                        tracking number. There's easily another $2-3, maybe $4 per coin left
                                        on the table and they can just subcontract out the actual minting to
                                        one of the chinese mints.

                                        Mmm... Chinese mints. Curiously strong, yet you find yourself wanting
                                        another one within two hours.

                                        -mark

                                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Nick Silkey
                                        <nsilkey@g...> wrote:

                                        > s/think it's worthwhile/get their money/g
                                        >
                                        > :)
                                        >
                                        > On 12/5/05, Barry Watson <bcwatson@h...> wrote:
                                        > >

                                        > > Ok, thanks for the explanation Mark. I didn't know you could get
                                        Groundspeak to create an icon for you for that. I'm sure you can get
                                        an icon for almost any reason then as long as they think it's worthwhile…

                                        > > Barry
                                        > >

                                        > > ________________________________

                                      • Barry Watson
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 5, 2005

                                          ROTFLMAO!!!  (Now someone hand me a napkin…..  I should put down anything I'm drinking before reading emails.  Especially from Mark….)

                                          Barry

                                          Mmm... Chinese mints.  Curiously strong, yet you find yourself wanting
                                          another one within two hours.

                                        • Karen
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 5, 2005
                                            Is this thing dead? Does it need someone to organize? It's really too good
                                            of a thing to let die...
                                          • Brent
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 5, 2005
                                              I think it takes place in February...

                                              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <karenj@a...>
                                              wrote:

                                              > Is this thing dead? Does it need someone to organize? It's really
                                              too good
                                              > of a thing to let die...

                                            • Karen
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Dec 5, 2005
                                                Yes but who's organizing it and what/where/when do we nominate our favorite caches?

                                                The reason I ask is because I'm willing to help out with this event.

                                                -Karen
                                                TropicalDiva
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Dec 18, 2005
                                                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Watson"
                                                  I still think the Chinese mint line is the best I've read in a long
                                                  while... I'll have to remember that.

                                                  On the coins - just a reminder, reservations close today at 7pm. I've
                                                  approved the artwork, so the clock is ticking!

                                                  +Chris

                                                  http://crakephoto.com/coins/bluebonnet