Re: BCP Maps - What will be left for US?

  • Essiar
    Message 1 of 46 , Dec 2, 2005
      I hope you're correct Robert. I am the first one to be all for
      protecting the flora and fauna but it can get to a point when it
      becomes a bit ridiculous. What I meant about Peckerhead NOT being in
      an endangered species area was that it is not in an area that is off
      limits to human beings. Now that I see it's in a "resting area for
      birds" I couldn't be any happier that I chose those coordinates...
      perfect for that cache! :-)

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert"
      <robert.barron@g...> wrote:

> [...]
      > yellow territory marked as "confirmed habitat", much of what
      already
      > have roads and houses on them.
      >
      > The BCP people use data such as this to plan land acquisitions as
      > part of the program. They need to know where the critical habitat
      > is so that they concentrate the remaining funds for acquisition to
      > the right areas.
      >
      > There's still a TON of areas within 60 miles of Austin that have
      > little of no cache activity. I don't think we're being shoved in
      > small corner. We'll actually be gaining some additional park land
      > in future:
      >
      > http://www.traviscountybonds.org/
      >
      > Robert
      >
      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Candy Lind"
      > <candylind@e...> wrote:
      > >
      > > You know, I told Wayne we needed to check out why "The Moose is
      > > Loose" is suddenly in an area marked off with Endangered Species
      > > signs ... and now, after looking at this map and some others on
      > the
      > > Travis County maps page, I am VERY concerned about how much
      > publicly-
      > > accessible green space the HUMANS of Austin stand to lose in the
      > next
      > > several years, if our bureaucracies have anything to do with it.
      > The
      > > MAJORITY of Emma Long Park, and the MAJORITY of the Barton Creek
      > > Greenbelt and Gus Fruh Park are marked with yellow background
      > > (confirmed GCWarbler Habitat), black hatch lines (confirmed
      > > karst/cave area), and green outlines that indicate proposed
      > additions
      > > to BCCP and/or Balcones Nat'l Wildlife Refuge land. Can anyone
      > look
      > > at these maps and tell me I'm misinterpreting them?
      > >
      > > Candy
      > >
      > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent"
      > <brbapb@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > The map in the link below shows that "Peckerhead" is located in
      > > confirmed Golden-cheeked warbler habitat, but since they migrate
      > > to Central America for the winter, it is possible (I have not
      > > confirmed this!) that they may remove the warning signs during
      the
      > > winter.
      > > http://www.co.travis.tx.us/maps/bccp/BcpAustinWestQuad.pdf
      > > Brent
      > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Brent"
      > <brbapb@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > Could you get to Peckerhead without violating the endangered
      > species
      > > restricted areas? I didn't try because the logs implied that it
      > was
      > > in a controlled area.
      > > +Chris
      > >
      > > If you go to it from the street instead of from the trail, you
      > will
      > > avoid the Endangered Species area. (Or at least the signs.)

    • Jay
      Message 46 of 46 , Jan 5, 2010
        Victor,

        I am fairly new to geocaching myself, I have yet to place a cache myself, but I have thought about doing so since I was introduced to this obsession even more so of late. So I have been interested to read what others have written about the process as well as the procedure. I just finished reading an article which reminded me of your questions and I thought that it might be informative for you.  The article is:  Elements of Style in Geocaching  which is found at geocacher-u.com under the geocaching 201 section. Perhaps some of the information in it will help you determine how to create the cache that you want to create.
        In fact geocacher-u has some very good information that I wish some one had pointed me to months ago.

        Jay / BingOGT